Sign in to follow this  
MetroiD

MOC: Routemaster Open-Top Doubledecker Bus

indexed.gif V-LB-03C

Seeing Yanzl's wonderful doubledecker coach reminded me of a MOC I built not so long ago - an open-top Routemaster H2910, the original London Sightseeing Tour Bus (in 6-wide minifig scale).

I really wanted to come close to the original with this one - unfortunately I still do not have any of those 2x3 big red windows to fill the "voids" there, but I do think that you get the picture, more or less. All in all, this one was made before I started using more snotty techniques and I guess it shows - it's a very simple build and nothing too fancy, however it does blend in nicely in any city - especially if you put it next to LEGO's original sets from the early 90s.

1233839998m_SPLASH.jpg

I hope the driver doesn't mind that he has to sit on the right side... this one IS a typical non-continental creation after all, so in keeping with the original it had to feature the all too distinctive "driving on the wrong side of the road" feature... :tongue:

12338400102_DISPLAY.jpg

The stairs turned out well - what's also good is that the first deck features enough room for both seats AND standing passengers. Of course, this Routemaster features floor covering which should prevent you from slipping while bravely making your way up or down the stairs.

12338400173_DISPLAY.jpg

The mad professor chap can't quite seem to make up his mind whether he should hurry up and take that nice free seat downstairs or go up for that unique hairdryer treatment... But as long as it's not raining (in London? Never!), I think he should go for the latter!

More pictures available at MOCpages.

Once again, I am well aware of the fact that this bus is really nothing special - neither in terms of construction, nor as an idea. However, it doesn't look too bad, besides I checked the Eurobricks Vehicles index and it doesn't feature all too many buses... So this one should be a nice addition to use as a city bus, alongside Yanzl's wonderful "long-distance" coach.

Edited by Phred

Thats really cool! I like it! The stair design is really cool. Looks just like the real thing!

Very nice. The stairs are indeed a great detail. It has such a classic LEGO vibe over it, it would fit extremely well in the 90's sets. Good job!

Thanks guys! Glad you liked it, this was one of my earliest "adult" MOCs :sweet:

This looks nice and old skool :)

I like those stairs in the back that lead up to the upper deck as well, nifty little detail!