5150 Lego

MOC: Mobile Command Unit

indexed.gif V-LP-7E

I've been wanting to build my own mobile command trailer for some time now and unfortunutly work has been slow, so on my extra days off i just started building. I've meantioned in the past that i build emergency vehicles for a living and this trailer is loosly based on a real mobile command trailer that my company built for one of our local law enforment agencies. So here's a little background story.

So last year my lego city purchased a needed command trailer. Most are familar 7743. After its inital purchase, the chief did his inspection and..... Well.... He was not impressed. Only two work stations, room for two officers inside and no orginized storage. A few months after being put into service it was used during a hostage negotation and it was then, that the intire police force realized that this paticular vehicle just wasn't going to work for our police department. It was decided that a new mobile command unit was going to be needed.

The police department quickly drew up plans for what they required in a mobile command unit. Propper lighting, radio comunications, surveillance equipment and storage were all in the plans. A local coach builder won the bid, and began construction immediatly. After a few months of building (these guys work fast) my Lego Police department took delivery of there new pride and joy!

custom_mobile_command_unit_002.jpg

custom_mobile_command_unit_005.jpg

It was decided to keep a truck and trailer combination vs. a self motorized unit cause this setup has proven to work just fine for the department. lets start with the truck.

custom_mobile_command_unit_006.jpg

custom_mobile_command_unit_008.jpg

The truck is loosly based on a chevy Topkick medium duty truck. It has been out fitted with all the nessasary lighting for police duties. The truck cab is 6 wide, and the rear bed is 7 wide. I think this gives the truck some depth, as well as making the transition to the 8 wide trailer more "flowing'. More on that later. One more shot of the truck bed.

custom_mobile_command_unit_007.jpg

Here you can see the ball hitch in the bed.

Now on to the command trailer..

custom_mobile_command_unit_009.jpg

The trailer is 8 wide (technicly 9 with the wheel flares). The size was needed to acomadate the equipment inside. Speaking of size, lets take a look at the highlight of this beauty..

custom_mobile_command_unit_012.jpg

Here you can see the teloscoping light towers and slide out work stations. Slid in for transport...

custom_mobile_command_unit_013.jpg

Slid out for work inside!

custom_mobile_command_unit_015.jpg

The purpose of this is to give more interior room. Speaking of interior, lets take a peak inside shall we?

Here the happypolice chief awaits to give us the tour!

custom_mobile_command_unit_016.jpg

custom_mobile_command_unit_019.jpg

this is the forward slide out. It is has two work stations and can be tied into any of the radio systems in the trailer. Next we have the forward galley.

custom_mobile_command_unit_020.jpg

We have a sink, refrigerator and for those long nights of surveillance, a coffee maker! This is the chief's favorite part of the trailer!! We all also have a work light, as well as a TV to keep up with local news.

custom_mobile_command_unit_021.jpg

Here we have some storage for radios and clean up equipment.

On the oppiste side we have two small storage bins, and a large equipment locker.

Closed...

custom_mobile_command_unit_024.jpg

Open!

custom_mobile_command_unit_025.jpg

We have some hand cuffs for the bad guys, and i know its hard to see, but right above them is a saw.

Next we have the rear slide out. It features one work station with two computers.

custom_mobile_command_unit_028.jpg

custom_mobile_command_unit_029.jpg

custom_mobile_command_unit_030.jpg

The rear work area also features a map of the city, and right behind the it is a back up work station in case a 4th officer needs to work, as well as a TV like in the forward work area.

Ariel shot with slides out...

custom_mobile_command_unit_043.jpg

With the slides in for transport.

custom_mobile_command_unit_044.jpg

Out side we have the much needed storage.

custom_mobile_command_unit_037.jpg

Cones, barriers, tables, just bout anything can be stored up there!

A few shots of the trailer setup for the duty!

custom_mobile_command_unit_041.jpg

You can also see comunication antennas for UHF, VHF, 800 MHZ, radios and satalite TV. You can also see the scene lighting whitch is very important in a mobile command unit.

custom_mobile_command_unit_047.jpg

custom_mobile_command_unit_048.jpg

custom_mobile_command_unit_049.jpg

All of the barriers and cones you see can be stored in the trailer.

So thats it! Thanks for looking. The department hasn't had the chance to use yet, but in training exercises, it has already proven that its much more capable than thier last MCU. Coments are welcome, as well as sugjections for any improvments

Edited by Phred

I love the appearance and design of this MOC, especially the slide-out compartments. You have added quite a bit of detail into it without using any flimsy techniques. :thumbup:

One thing I would suggest is to add a third axle on the truck though. It looks big enough to justify it.

That is absolutely amazing. The amount of detail and function and just general fun stuff is ridiculous. This is a very well thought out design and your experience in working with these definitely shows. It has a very practical feel to it but still feels very LEGO. I'll just end with this: it's been a long time since I've seen a MOC that makes me want to just sit down and play with it, but yours definitely qualifies!

Wow. I used to be a fan of the TLC Mobile Command Unit. Yours makes theirs look like a boy scout troop outing. That is one nice truck. It looks like you updated just about everything that you possibly could. I would not want to be a criminal in your City. :classic:

The pop-out sides are fantastic. My parents had a motorhome with sides that popped out and it really increased the room. I bet this thing would have to have it's own parking lot when it is opened all the way.

Edited by Loganwan

I love the appearance and design of this MOC, especially the slide-out compartments. You have added quite a bit of detail into it without using any flimsy techniques. :thumbup:

One thing I would suggest is to add a third axle on the truck though. It looks big enough to justify it.

Thanks! The reason i used 2 axles for the truck instead of 3,is because the real truck itsbased on has 2 axles. That and i like the storage compartments on the side. I'll see if i can dig up a pic for referance.

That is absolutely amazing. The amount of detail and function and just general fun stuff is ridiculous. This is a very well thought out design and your experience in working with these definitely shows. It has a very practical feel to it but still feels very LEGO. I'll just end with this: it's been a long time since I've seen a MOC that makes me want to just sit down and play with it, but yours definitely qualifies!

Thanks! You know whats funny, i have this down stairs every night since i "finished" it trying tosee if there's anything else i can improve. In the mean time, i've been roling it around, poping the slide outs in and out, setting up the trailer and such! It really is fun to play with! :classic:

Woah that's amazing! :oh::wub: I don't think it would've worked out in anything below 8-wide for the trailer. :sceptic:

So much gear and stuff fits into it and so compact it's perfect! I can see why the police chief chose this one! :classic:

And I like the stuff that slides out [i think some big Japanese amulances do that to...probable other countries to but only remember Japan]

Also even if you just had the original Mobile Command Centre and just put that coffee maker in it it'd be "Win" :tongue::laugh: [i love those little things I've made heaps of 'em :wub: ]

Edited by Darth_Legois

That's an absolutely awesome MOC, 5150 Lego! :oh:

I really like it!

It looks with all that great and accurate interior very realistic! :oh: And it looks much better than the official Lego version of it! :wink: I especially like the sliding out working station.

Very well done! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I like this a lot!

It brings back memories from 1994: after months of saving up I finally managed to get the amount of money together that was needed for the purchase of set 6348 Surveillance Squad, I played with it for hours, improving the design, setting it up and rolling it around.

This model of yours seems the ultimate 6348, with all the storage space (I love the doors on the inside compartment), the sliding-out workspaces and even a sink and coffee machine!

:thumbup:

A beautiful work! The size and the amount of detail for the exterior as well as for the

interior´s great, and I especially like these cool and ingenious slide-out sections! :classic:

this is a great mobile command unit i've ever seen.

you've done this very well.

i like the caravan unit. very nice design and facilities.

great MOC.

It is very innovative! :thumbup:

I am amazed with the amount of interior details which you have considered and implement it into your design such as your radio system, pantry, comms compartment, gear storage and etc. The amount of features which are included have defintely greatly enhanced the playability and an excellent addition to your Police Department.

By the way, this has make it to Classic-Town.net. :wink:

You've clearly put a lot of thought into this! Which is an excellent thing, in this case. Lots of playability and fun bits of realism, too. Nicely done!

Lovely design and the slide-out compartments are such a brilliant idea! This one would look PERFECT in simonwillems' Riot scene...

I like this a lot!

It brings back memories from 1994: after months of saving up I finally managed to get the amount of money together that was needed for the purchase of set 6348 Surveillance Squad, I played with it for hours, improving the design, setting it up and rolling it around.

This model of yours seems the ultimate 6348, with all the storage space (I love the doors on the inside compartment), the sliding-out workspaces and even a sink and coffee machine!

:thumbup:

Thanks Simonwillems. The Surveillance squad was one of my favorite sets when i was a kid! I still think it was the best Mobile command unit that TLC ever made!

It is very innovative! :thumbup:

I am amazed with the amount of interior details which you have considered and implement it into your design such as your radio system, pantry, comms compartment, gear storage and etc. The amount of features which are included have defintely greatly enhanced the playability and an excellent addition to your Police Department.

By the way, this has make it to Classic-Town.net. :wink:

Thank you White Fang! I appreacaite you including it in your classic town web site! I'm truely honored!

Thanks again to everyone for there nice comments! Much appreaciated!

Here is a shot of the real truck mine is based on.

4500ExtCab.jpg

I was never a big fan of the Police Command Center (7743) from LEGO but your set should be the replacement set for LEGO to sell. I would buy it in a heartbeat!

I love that MOC! :wub:

There's so many features inside it (like the sink, tools, computer screens, etc.).

It makes me think why LEGO sets aren't that good... (probably because of the set price)

P.S. Where did you get the stickers? I know that most are from the Police Command Center, but where did you get the others?

Edited by ILikePi

Wow! Awesome MOC. Especially love the slide outs! Would be great on a motorhome MOC

Thank you! A motorhome is actually going to be my next project. I'm think of making a toy hauler 5th wheel.

I love that MOC! :wub:

There's so many features inside it (like the sink, tools, computer screens, etc.).

It makes me think why LEGO sets aren't that good... (probably because of the set price)

P.S. Where did you get the stickers? I know that most are from the Police Command Center, but where did you get the others?

Your correct. Most of the stickers are from LEGO mobile command center,and the rest are from the 7741 police hellicopter.

http://city.lego.com/en-us/Products/Police/7741.aspx

I bought the hellocopter a year or so ago, and the sticker sheet was perfect for the truck!

Did you get the window stickers from the 2006 Ambulance? That's the only set I know with those white and clear striped stickers.

Did you get the window stickers from the 2006 Ambulance? That's the only set I know with those white and clear striped stickers.

Yes i did. They let in light, but still give some privacy!

i really love this MOC. it's amazing to have come up with something with so much more playability AND detail than the original.