Legoman

New Zealand: "Where to find Lego"

Thanks for taking the time to type out all that! It made things a whole lot clearer, but just to be safe, I'll send them an email to confirm things. :-)

Did some purchases on the LEGO website last week and LEGO placed a hold on my credit card, which entailed removing some funds from it equal to the amount ordered. After shipping however, my credit card was charged again with the amount of the purchase that has now been shipped. So I'm just wondering why this is happening, and if the initial hold will be removed and the funds returned to my account? If not, haven't they technically double-charged me?

I am sure they will release the hold, if they dont do it soon, just contact customer service.

I am sure they will release the hold, if they dont do it soon, just contact customer service.

I hope so. Will call them in the morning and see.

In unrelated news, Mighty Ape has the Town Hall for $250.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am not sure if this is the right place to put my items for sale. <Offer removed.>

Thank you.

Ryan

I am new to this forum. I am not sure if this is the right place to put my items for sale.

No, it isn't. Everything you need to know is in the Site Guidelines and the guidelines for the BSTF forum.

A big shout out to all the guys and girls who have put on the LEGO show this weekend in Auckland. Fantastic as always and I could have easily spent twice as long there as I did spotting all the amazing things done with little plastic bricks.

Looking forwards to next year already....:)

So I'm looking for a couple of 16x32 baseplates in grey or tan (or even 4 16x16 if these are available). Any suggestions on where I could find these at an affordable cost? I looked on Bricklink and eBay but there are shipping costs to contend with. Is there anywhere/anyone local selling these?

Edited by Jern92

Hi, I am moving to Wellington shortly and was wondering if there is an AFOL club / scene in Wellington?

There's no local LUG as far as I know, but we have a few Wellington members in LUG 4/2.

http://lug4x2.org/

Edited by BachAddict

I know - the seller posted it at about 8-30pm last night with a $1 no reserve. I put it on my watchlist and went to do something else. By the time i came back - all over

And yes, the seller was either desperate, or had no idea of the value of what they had.

The buyer did something similar with the creator Ferris wheel in the last few months. No "Buy Now", asked them if they would do a "buy Now" of $95.00 and snapped it up. The buyer has been trying to sell it and has been asking for between $300 to $350 for it.

It won't surprise me to see these reappear again as individual items from the buyer with a high mark up. I'm guessing they;ll be listed in the ball park of $1000 for each.

Nikiwi - next time to stop this happening, put a bid on of $1.00 as it will negate the ability to be gazumped by a "Buy Now".

Regards,

David

Yeah...I realised I should have done that 30 secs after I saw it had gone....:(

Edited by Nikkiwi

Holy mackerel! Thats unbelievable! Ive got mixed feelings about that auction. Really, I do. Even with no figs or instructions that is a steal!

Unethical, maybe criminal? It might be fraud to offer a low value like this. That buyer has a pattern of asking for buy now on recently listed items - I guess it is a worthwhile pursuit. Then again, the seller didn't bother researching and most likely would have been too lazy to sort them out, even if advised the individual set values. Was only interested in local pick up, so that also eliminates lots of potential buyers... So I guess it is just a lucky purchase - outsmarted all other bargain hunters. It will take days to separate the sets, complete the missing pieces, so of course the buyer should be compensated for all that effort with a handsomely priced modular building!

I don't think it's unethical as the seller had the option not to put a Buy Me price and simply let the auction run. I'd agree that the buyer got a lucky purchase. I was pointing out the recent purchase technique by the buyer simply so other NZ EB forum readers might stop and think before bidding for these should they surface again from the same Trade Me user.

I wonder how we each would have responded if someone had said to us "I've got these LEGO modular buildings that I want to sell. Will you give me 400 bucks for them?"?

David

David,

The difference is that the seller in your example has decided the price he wants to offer for it, as opposed to someone making a lowball offer. I don't think that what the buyer did is unethical. Cheeky perhaps, but if the seller had shown more patience he'd have found out how much more he could have made from his auction.

But thats life. And I can't with any honesty say that had the buy now gone up while I was watching, that I wouldn't have snapped them up either.

Fair comment. There's no doubt in my mind that had I stumbled across those 5 modular buildings with a Buy Now price of $400, I would have been hitting the "Buy Now" button.

Ka-ching!

http://www.trademe.c...n-813848754.htm

Ka-ching two!

http://www.trademe.c...n-813858703.htm

Love the bit that goes "I have this set a long time ago". Err, right. so 6 days is a long time is it? Very temptimg to pose a question with a link to the original sale and ask if this sale for one from the earlier trade. And the seller has the cheek to include a stock picture of the instructions but then state that it isn't included.

Edited by djm

Ka-ching!

http://www.trademe.c...n-813848754.htm

Ka-ching two!

http://www.trademe.c...n-813858703.htm

Love the bit that goes "I have this set a long time ago". Err, right. so 6 days is a long time is it? Very temptimg to pose a question with a link to the original sale and ask if this sale for one from the earlier trade. And the seller has the cheek to include a stock picture of the instructions but then state that it isn't included.

Wow that didn't take long at all. Someone who didn't see the original post would probably end up buying it, because the starting bid is quite low compared to what these sets are currently worth.

Still, I'm disgusted by how he's lying about the buildings. That's a whole new low.

And I asked about how long he considers 6 days to be. He probably won't reply. XD

EDIT: He replied! "it is not from that listing. It is from my own collection few years back. The green grocer from that listing is still in that big storage box as I don't have enough time to sort them out. Cheers"

So he does know what we're referring to. Still, quite a nice coincidence that he suddenly decides to sell sets from 'his own collection', right after acquiring some new ones.

Don't forget Ka-ching Three!

http://www.trademe.c...n-813862290.htm

Edited by Jern92

I'll be contrarian and suggest he's telling the truth. The original listing didn't have instructions or boxes, I think it would be pertinent info if those listing did not have those materials. (plus Market Street wasn't in the other lot).

With that said I'm a bit disappointed, I would have expected that he has the opportunity to make those two offers complete by covering the missing parts from one set with those from the other... At the asking price it is what I think should be done... Or he could be fibbing after all and doesn't have two of each?!

I'll be interested to see if he finds a buyer.

I think he's probably being truthful with his answers;

(a) there wasn't a Market Street list in the $400 collection and

(b) if you search expired listings for "lego cafe corner" or "lego market street", you will see two prior listings by him.

Interestingly enough, it looks like the TradeMe market isn't prepared to pay an excessive price. The prior Cafe Corner has a highest bid of $475 and a reserve of $750.

I'll be contrarian and suggest he's telling the truth. The original listing didn't have instructions or boxes, I think it would be pertinent info if those listing did not have those materials. (plus Market Street wasn't in the other lot).

Almost simultaneous posts!

Neither of the Cafe Corner nor Green Grocer listings contain the instructions or boxes. At the start of each listing, it states "Box and manuals are missing". It annoys me that it seems to be an accepted practice to oversell things by including images of stuff that is not actually part of the item for sale.

Nonetheless, I accept they are likely to be different sets to the "bonanza" purchase made last Friday night.