Dreamweb

Custom Cannons

Well, I like the idea of making custom cannons. They are useful when you don't have enough original cannons or they're too small/too big for your MOC. Those on board the ship in question fit nicely. I've heard the opinion that original cannons are too large for narrow hulls. I'm going to make some smaller custom ones myself and arm my smaller ships with them, preserving the original ones for bigger ships and the fort.

In what way(s) do you make custom cannons? Just the way describe previously or do you have other means?

By the way folks this thread was created from posts ouf of the Armada Flagship by Nyant thread. A topic about Custom Cannons seemed to be emerging so I thought a thread dedicated to it would allow for more discussion without taking the other thread waaaay off topic.

has any one ever tried to build canons whith these:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=2489

perhaps they're too big? but what about a mortar?, like this: http://www.cascade.co.nz/larry/mortar.gif

Good idea, but I think the Brown and Wood detail would make the cannon look like something out of Donkey Kong! (Not that thats wrong, but in a world of Pirates, it would look funny!)

If there were black barrels it may work.

Some of those cannons in the link Norro provided are very cool... I especially like the silver one that has the wagon.

Another lugnet link - so this is where I read about classic cannons being too big for narrow hulls.

The ship shown there is the slightly modified Imperial Flagship with very nice custom made small cannons.

cutter3.jpg

They'll be my main inspiration for making small cannons for my smaller ships. I like the clever use of 2420.pngs and 4073.pngs in making the cannon's base and wheels.

Would it be better to use light grey cylinders for the cannons? Since that's what colour the cannon pieces are.

Ooooooooo shiney cannons! They look expensive! And nice tooooo!

That's 'brickspensive'...

God Bless,

Nathan :)

has any one ever tried to build canons whith these:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=2489

perhaps they're too big? but what about a mortar?, like this: http://www.cascade.co.nz/larry/mortar.gif

Good idea, but I think the Brown and Wood detail would make the cannon look like something out of Donkey Kong! (Not that thats wrong, but in a world of Pirates, it would look funny!)

If there were black barrels it may work.

Some of those cannons in the link Norro provided are very cool... I especially like the silver one that has the wagon.

i think they come in dark grey as well.. they are rather expensive

Would it be better to use light grey cylinders for the cannons? Since that's what colour the cannon pieces are.

Yes, talking about inspiration I meant the idea of those cannons, but not the colours. I'll use grey instead of black, with the black cylinders serving as ammunition for the original cannons.

Another lugnet link - so this is where I read about classic cannons being too big for narrow hulls.

The ship shown there is the slightly modified Imperial Flagship with very nice custom made small cannons.

cutter3.jpg

They'll be my main inspiration for making small cannons for my smaller ships. I like the clever use of 2420.pngs and 4073.pngs in making the cannon's base and wheels.

i think these look great! :oD

now we only need to find out if this type of smaller cannons ever existed...

and yes, dark grey or light grey would be better...

Much better than using brown barrels, the grey ones make an impression of being made of metal.

sorry for the lights, guys, but it is dark grey. i'll try and produce a decent pic in the morning...

Oh yes. I see now. Did you make that yourself Sneffy? It looks pretty good actually. Well done (if that's your creation) if not well done for finding it!

thanks! i built it yesterday.

i don't know what to think of it, tho. it is BIG! it looks extremely aggressive!

i think it would look a lot better if i had these wheels, arms,... in brown

but if i can't find lego cannons, then i'll have to make do with this... hm... dark grey barrels... expensive on bricklink...

I suppose big cannons would be good for forts and the like. My local fort has these huuuuuuuuge cannons that must weigh tonnes. When I get a digital image input device I must take images of that place.

Sneffy, could you place (if you have one) a regular LEGO cannon next to your custom job so we can see just how much bigger it is?