When I was a TFOL I sorted by colour not by parts. I kept the colours in big bins.

Now I keep a lot of the small sized parts sorted on type not colour and it is indeed much easier. Rather have a bin full of jumper plates and quickly spot the right colour, then dig through a bin of black bricks looking for that one black jumper plate.

I have my lego (mainly technic) sorted in bins with lids, but it’s annoying. Every time I want to build I need to take almost all the lids of. Or I leave them off, but than the dust gets on the lego.

so I was thinking about buying these hbm ones ( the blue ones, in different sizes). Does anyone have any experience with these?

https://www.hbm-machines.com/producten/zoeken?txt=Hbm+ladenkast&sortOrderBy=&perPage=

These kinds of drawers are usually perfect for smaller parts. I have similar ones from Stanley, and know many who got them at Hofer/Aldi. However, you should consider specifics of your collection prior to buying the drawers. If you have many small parts, you might have overflow in some bins. Not all large parts would fit, etc.

Perhaps go for different sized drawers and measure the space where you'll keep them. In my case, I have them on my desk and I'm limited with height. I have room for an extra row of bins, but I wouldn't be able to reach them.

This is something I'm struggling with. I only recently got back into legos. And I'm buying new sets every week , basically. 

So I'll organize, then buy a new set and realize what I had organized won't fit anymore when I add the new pieces. Then I'll re organize. Do this about 10 times. Then realize you spend more time organizing then building. 

At what point do I stop buying legos, and how much organizing is enough? 

I got 3 new technic sets in last night. And technic is my focus. So I need to re organize when I get home all my technic stuff. Fun stuff. 

I don't sort Lego bricks by shape or color, I don't sort, I only store. Using zip bag is the best way to store bricks, I cannot think of any other ways better than that.

Don't underestimate the power of building up dust, I once put my small truck in my bedroom where it is well-ventilated and air-conditioned, within a several months it just had good amount of dust that you won't notice with naked eyes but once touched with finger you can immediately feel that wow, it's very dusty and dirty!

Edited by ks6349

My son has left behind his childish ways and is off to University. He's kicked out all his lego so thats coming down to my home office/spare room. I'm looking to consolidated storage and hopefully make it neater. I have a mix of really useful drawer units with the dividers inside - handy with locking lids for protection against clumsy children dropping them, but garish colours and a bit ugly. 

I'm thinking to switch to either Ikea Helmer or Alex drawers. Initially I'm thinking two of the wide alex should fit 24 of the really useful dividers, or 5 of the Helmer units would let me have 30 dividers. The helmers can have the drawers fully removable but individually are smaller. The Alex pull out less far but I can use that 'hidden' storage with overflow etc. I'm also wondering if the wider drawers are better for more bulk bricks (although I could just use entire helmers for that if necessary)

Any thoughts? both would take up roughly the same footprint. One possible advantage of the Alex is I could also use them for display as they're wider (67cm) vs the wobblier and more fragmented multiple helmers.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:41 PM, metalgeekzy said:

This is something I'm struggling with. I only recently got back into legos. And I'm buying new sets every week , basically. 

So I'll organize, then buy a new set and realize what I had organized won't fit anymore when I add the new pieces. Then I'll re organize. Do this about 10 times. Then realize you spend more time organizing then building. 

I got 3 new technic sets in last night. And technic is my focus. So I need to re organize when I get home all my technic stuff. Fun stuff. 

I guess it depends on what your end goal is. Do you want to just display and/or rebuild the sets? Then keep them sorted by set. If you build and then sort to use for MOCs, choose a system that has plenty of room to grow. I would suggest shoebox size plastic tubs for larger pieces and something like Akro Mils drawers to sort all the small bits. I guess it would also help to know how you are sorting them now so we can help see what you can do differently? You shouldn't have to start over every time a new set gets added.

On 9/8/2021 at 3:41 PM, metalgeekzy said:

You should be aware that you will never be done sorting/organizing UNLESS you stop buying LEGO. That's a simple fact you will need to learn.

You will need a system that can adapt a growing collection.

I have a system of wall mounted drawers for the small bits, then bigger drawers for plates sorted by size, and then sterilite containers for the rest of the pieces first sorted by color, then by subtype. This is easier for me. I know exactly where to look for which piece type I am looking for. We all have our own preferences. You'll need to figure out what works best for you and you won't figure that out immediately. It will change a lot and often until you get into the groove.

58 minutes ago, TheLegoDr said:

You should be aware that you will never be done sorting/organizing UNLESS you stop buying LEGO. That's a simple fact you will need to learn.

I have a system of wall mounted drawers for the small bits, then bigger drawers for plates sorted by size, and then sterilite containers for the rest of the pieces first sorted by color, then by subtype. This is easier for me. I know exactly where to look for which piece type I am looking for. We all have our own preferences. You'll need to figure out what works best for you and you won't figure that out immediately. It will change a lot and often until you get into the groove.

Ya i ended up going to my local dollar store. They have containers with lids that are held by the handles. Not the best, but very cheap to get into. They are clear and im making brackets for them out of wood. Add in a label maker and i have sorting! lol. 

1 hour ago, TheLegoDr said:

so true. I’ve just ‘finished’ moving my collection from plastic really useful drawers to the wide 6 drawer Ikea Alex to be neater. I started with two but then immediately bought another, and I have an old 5 drawer narrow alex which I can use some drawers for extended storage

I realise that then limits what I can reasonably store before it overflows and then I’ll need to adapt. So I’m going to try a hybrid coping mechanism:

- have a core bunch of parts in drawers, and try and manage as new types come in - however I know the ‘snot’ drawer is limited on space so I’ll work on that. 

- Allow for some overflow eg putting common colours in bags and storing at the back of the drawers or I could move to boxes in the loft as I’ll only need occasionally

- Try and limit ‘blowing up’ my parts by selecting some favourite sets that I won’t sell or part out and if I dismantle I’ll store those in bags as ‘complete sets’ in the loft. 

Then if I’m looking for a part I can check my drawers, if I run out of a piece I can check overflow, and if needed I can consider taking from a set. However in this third level I’d realistically just bricklink the pieces. 

Edited by mrklaw

I store my parts in a drawer system, two types, small ones for small parts or parts where I don't have many of. Big drawers for bigger parts or where I have many of them. All drawers have an unique number and a label with a small drawing of the part in it. I try to put not more then 6 parts in drawer.
Totally about 300 drawers for about 51.000 parts, 2.850 different parts.

Most parts are sorted out on part number and being separated by dividers in the drawers. Most of the time colors together of the same part number.
All parts are in a database program called Brickstock, (a must have to my opinion for each one with many Lego parts), so that I can find easily back what I have and where. All uploaded to Rebrickable, so that I can see when  want to build something if I there are missing parts. 

Besides the 50.000 lose parts I have 44 sets with a total of 62.000 parts. Sets are kept together in the original boxes when not builded. From all sets I have made separated databases of each set, and one total database set of all sets together. Also all sets are upload to Rebrickable.

This way I have quite a good overview of what I have and where to find it.

Sorting I do with plastic containers, first put parts out of the same category together (f.i. plates, or bricks) then later by part type. 

Below some pictures how it looks.

kastjes%203.jpg

kastjes%202.jpg

kastjes%201.jpg

laatje%201.jpg

laatje%202.jpg

laatje%203.jpg

800x450.jpg

Does anyone have any tips on storing raised baseplates? I'd like to find a storage container that could fit them as close to a cube shape as possible - does anyone have a hard shell container they can recommend?

^ I sold all of mine as I simply could not find a good solution. They are so bulky and unless you have multiples they do not stack well at all. I stored them in a large plastic bins in storage for the longest time.

Edited by Follows Closely

What is the best way to organize extra Lego bricks, should I do it by color (which would be easier) or organize them by the type of piece?

Which is a better option for displaying Lego, a large table or large shelves?

16 minutes ago, Flaming Bricks said:

What is the best way to organize extra Lego bricks, should I do it by color (which would be easier) or organize them by the type of piece?

Which is a better option for displaying Lego, a large table or large shelves?

Depends how many bricks you have. Only a few? By colour works. More than 10k? I’d suggest by category (eg all 1x bricks, all 2x bricks etc), and do some separation in each category (eg separate out 1 and 2 stud length from the longer ones or they’ll get lost among the larger pieces). 

https://brickarchitect.com/guide/bricks/large/

this person has great ways to handle different sized collections, and a handy guide to categories you can use as a starting point (but be flexible and merge/split as you need based on how many drawers/space you have)

I display my lego in Ikea Billy bookcases with glass Morlinen doors on, to help protect a little from dust. a mix of 30cm and 40cm deep depending on what space I have. 

Just now, mrklaw said:

Depends how many bricks you have. Only a few? By colour works. More than 10k? I’d suggest by category (eg all 1x bricks, all 2x bricks etc), and do some separation in each category (eg separate out 1 and 2 stud length from the longer ones or they’ll get lost among the larger pieces). 

https://brickarchitect.com/guide/bricks/large/

this person has great ways to handle different sized collections, and a handy guide to categories you can use as a starting point (but be flexible and merge/split as you need based on how many drawers/space you have)

I display my lego in Ikea Billy bookcases with glass Morlinen doors on, to help protect a little from dust. a mix of 30cm and 40cm deep depending on what space I have. 

Never counted my extra Lego bricks, both methods would probably work. I already use some Ikea shelves to make my Lego look nice. 

Also today is my lucky day, say hello to a new Eurobricks Citizen! It's nice to meet you! 

Question for anyone: Opaque or translucent storage boxes?

My collection is stored in a space with no natural light, so UV is not a risk.  

Now, I can get devided sorter boxes with an opaque lid for less than those with a transparent/translucent lid. 

Of course, I would not be able to see what I have stored in them at a glance. 

Advice?

I have put a label on the drawer with pictures of the pieces in it.
As you can see in the picture below.

laatje%202.jpg

7 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Question for anyone: Opaque or translucent storage boxes?

My collection is stored in a space with no natural light, so UV is not a risk.  

Now, I can get devided sorter boxes with an opaque lid for less than those with a transparent/translucent lid. 

Of course, I would not be able to see what I have stored in them at a glance. 

Advice?

If light isn’t a problem, translucent. Because it’s fun to see all the jumbled bricks. If you go opaque, you could always make a little label to stick on then front. I keep my sets together & use shoebox size containers. I make a label of set number(s) so I can know easier what’s inside. 

On 11/9/2021 at 9:00 AM, BKu said:

I store my parts in a drawer system, two types, small ones for small parts or parts where I don't have many of. Big drawers for bigger parts or where I have many of them. All drawers have an unique number and a label with a small drawing of the part in it. I try to put not more then 6 parts in drawer.
Totally about 300 drawers for about 51.000 parts, 2.850 different parts.

Most parts are sorted out on part number and being separated by dividers in the drawers. Most of the time colors together of the same part number.
All parts are in a database program called Brickstock, (a must have to my opinion for each one with many Lego parts), so that I can find easily back what I have and where. All uploaded to Rebrickable, so that I can see when  want to build something if I there are missing parts. 

Besides the 50.000 lose parts I have 44 sets with a total of 62.000 parts. Sets are kept together in the original boxes when not builded. From all sets I have made separated databases of each set, and one total database set of all sets together. Also all sets are upload to Rebrickable.

This way I have quite a good overview of what I have and where to find it.

Sorting I do with plastic containers, first put parts out of the same category together (f.i. plates, or bricks) then later by part type. 

Below some pictures how it looks.

kastjes%203.jpg

kastjes%202.jpg

kastjes%201.jpg

laatje%201.jpg

laatje%202.jpg

laatje%203.jpg

800x450.jpg

Yeah, we do similar, nice pics.  Lots of the smaller parts are in Akro Mills drawers, your eyes can pick out color much faster than shape.

I'm still in the early stages of setting up my Lego room so definitely no set system yet, but I had a few of these Dewalt shallow pro kits in the garage and I'm loving them. Remove the lid and hinges to keep things clean, but the lid still sits nicely on top to keep dust out. The trays are removeable which makes for easy access when building. My only complaint is the handle is a lot of wasted space, and I haven't found a way to buy more trays if I wanted to ditch the double sized trays and just use the small ones (or even better, get half/quarter sized trays and I can start sorting by color too). I especially like that the tray walls are near vertical and very rigid, so there's minimal wasted space like you see with the food containers that are usually angled out.

They're a bit expensive so I'm not sure I'll be investing in these but the ones I have work great.

Curious if anyone knows of similar organizers to this that are cost effective, make good use of space (no handle), and have good selection of tray sizes?

EYlaE7t.jpg

3 minutes ago, woodford86 said:

Curious if anyone knows of similar organizers to this that are cost effective, make good use of space (no handle), and have good selection of tray sizes?

These are very nice. I started sorting my collection using similar ones (Stanley). They are a bit expensive and inconvenient when your collection grows. That being said; I still use them for parts I don't use often (a.k.a. everything non-Technic).