Maybe inside a bigger box to prevent the package from being damaged too.

This comment is very important. Preferably store the boxes inside another box or (non sticking) bag or wrapping. Plastic bags might stick to the box when it gets hot (not sure, maybe).

A very economical/easy to use for parting out sets and sorting deconstructed MOCs are the advent calendar trays.

AC

28169542431_4dc33cbf1a_c.jpg

I've tried those Advent Calendar trays, but it find it difficult to see parts at the bottom of the black compartments. Back in 2009 (I think), they were transparent and before that white, which made them better for storage. I believe that Kinder also makes advent calendars today with white 24 compartment trays, but you can't part out chocolates on Bricklink just to keep the trays :laugh:

This is a very helpful thread, I've been collecting since 2008 but on a child budget and currently student budget, i only have about 200 sets and it was kind of getting crowded in my 7 ft by 10 ft lego area, so im taking apart 50% of my collection, mostly childhood sets i dont like anymore, for scrap parts, so this gives me some ideas for my project i started in april

I may have procrastinated a bit

I got so fascinated by the topic that I compiled my research into a little book: The Ideal Order. You might enjoy reading into the foundation of the sorting problem.

the-ideal-order-200-300.png

I bought the book after seeing this post without even reading the Amazon.com description. As I started reading, I thought it was a nice touch to have an introduction showing the human side of the issue and even read some parts to my wife to show our arguments about LEGO are not that uncommon.

It took a couple of chapters for me to realise it wasn't a step by step guide to sorting LEGO, but something much more personal - and I'm glad my wife's disdain isn't anywhere near Maki's level (yet?). Now I am wondering how much of it is fictional while eagerly reading chapter after chapter to see how it will end. And maybe how I should try sorting my bricks.

I'm particularly enjoying the discussions around taxonomies - maybe my degree in what was formerly known as Library Sciences has something to do with it. Oh, and it almost made me go ahead and bricklink a 928 - something I've been considering for a while. If I do, I'll have to tell my wife it was your fault.

Edited by Preuss

Sorry to butt in, but did you try out your new setup yet with the blue containers, Jim?

Very curious on how it turned out, since I am too on the verge of rearranging my bricks for easier access.

Sorry to butt in, but did you try out your new setup yet with the blue containers, Jim?

Very curious on how it turned out, since I am too on the verge of rearranging my bricks for easier access.

Actually I am still in the midst of sorting and reorganizing. I do already like these containers, because I like to build like this:

29039478786_e4aa9bb84e_c.jpg

(not done sorting yet)

I can take the containers I need and put them on my desk. Liftarms, panels and bigger stuff I store in bigger transparent pvc containers or Stanley boxes.

I've got a storing question...I have a lot of sets in those huge plastic containers, each set is sorted in plastic bags(most are large thicker ones). We have a screened in porch & here where I live, the average temperatures are 80's for the Summer, with a few low hundred's days here & there. Then an average of about 40 in winter. I'm looking for opinions on how the bricks will hold up.

I've got a storing question...I have a lot of sets in those huge plastic containers, each set is sorted in plastic bags(most are large thicker ones). We have a screened in porch & here where I live, the average temperatures are 80's for the Summer, with a few low hundred's days here & there. Then an average of about 40 in winter. I'm looking for opinions on how the bricks will hold up.

There's been a topic about that question here. The general consensus seems to be, that your bricks will be fine. Not quite sure if the bricks being enclosed in plastic containers will have any additional impact. (Also, to 95.6 percent of the world population those numbers you mentioned are just silly)

I'm going through and sorting right now myself, will post some pictures when it's done. I went with the Akro Mills mini-drawer sets and they work pretty well for my specialty parts, though as many mentioned, they do fill up very quickly. I have some medium sized drawers and then the standard big ones from Wal-Mart. I'd like more big ones with better dividers in them though so I could just switch to using mostly them.

What do you guys do with instructions? My old method, large heavy duty plastic bags divided by themes in a stack of drawers, is overfilling & I need a new way. 

When I buy something, I go to swooshable to link to the PDF instructions from Lego's server and save it. I'm keeping hardcopy instructions inside a polybag inside a big box.

10 hours ago, Vindicare said:

What do you guys do with instructions? My old method, large heavy duty plastic bags divided by themes in a stack of drawers, is overfilling & I need a new way. 

All mixed in two overfilling wooden boxes; I really have to organize that better :D

16 hours ago, antp said:

All mixed in two overfilling wooden boxes; I really have to organize that better :D

My method is similar. Except I keep them mixed in plastic storage bins. Better organization would be nice, but I still need to organize my LEGO better, which is never ending!

Andy D

Admittedly, I didn't check all the 54 pages of this thread whether they might contain an answer to my question, but maybe someone can help me with a quick answer anyway:

I'm trying to re-organise my Lego bricks. What I have in mind is something like the Really Useful Storage Towers (click for example), but preferrably with a wooden frame - like a normal bookshelf, but containing plastic boxes (much like oversize, light-weight drawers) that can be pulled out. Another obvious option would be the Ikea Trofast shelves, but they are too low for my purposes (and the boxes can't be closed). I know that some Lego fans use something like this, but what I couldn't find was a brand who is producing such racks...

(Step 2 of the problem would then be to find that brand in Germany, so if some of the German forum members have any advice, that would be particularly valuable)

EDIT: I've solved the problem by ordering this storage rack. So forget the question... :wink:

Edited by Count Bricks

Is your LEGO collection a mess? Is it perfectly organized so you can always find the perfect LEGO element?

No matter how big your collection is (or how well organized), I'd love to hear about your LEGO collection! I'm collecting your LEGO storage ideas for an article that helps you find the best storage solutions for your small, large, or growing LEGO collection.  It will also include tips and tricks from various LEGO builders around the world.

To make it much easier to collect unbiased feedback, I created the following survey. (It will take less than 5 minutes, and I would really appreciate your feedback!)

I'm very interested to hear about what you love about your current solution, what you tried in the past but did not work well, and what you want to try in the future.  I'm pretty sure the final article will have some tips and tricks even for the most experienced LEGO builders, and I'm excited to share what I learn here!

Sincerely,
---Tom Alphin

Author of The LEGO Architect and designed LEGO Brick Labels.

Edited by henrysunset

Not sure why you need a name and email for such survey. I'll have to pass.

I am saving the polypropylene cheesy fiesta potatoes Taco Bell containers and putting small parts in them. I cut a small triangular hole in the lid in case gases need to escape.

I use plastic bins that can be purchased in Walmart.  Each set is bagged in normal plastic bags ranging from sandwich bags for the smaller ones up to ziploc freezer bags for the larger ones.  If the instructions can fit inside the bags, they will be included.  

I bought a couple of screw storage bins from Menards. For parts that I have a lot of, I use plastic drawers. It's a good system but cleaning up after a project is tiring.

11 hours ago, zux said:

Not sure why you need a name and email for such survey. I'll have to pass.

I agree, name and email not needed!  I don't really like any survey that starts by asking for personal information.

But I will answer your main question.

For my storage solution, I use a multi-pronged approach...

I use Plano boxes where they are useful... mainly small Technic

I use Akro-Mills drawer systems for other mostly Technic

The rest (standard bricks and stuff) I use plastic food storage bags in 15 quart plastic bins.

There is some overlap in what I store using what system depending on circumstance.

Finding shelf space for all that... That's the real trick.

My main goal in my storage is knowing where to look for specific brick-types, if I have one.

IHTH

Andy D

Thanks All!  I've gotten a lot of interesting responses, both in the data collection side, and in the text descriptions that you all have typed for the various questions. 

@Zux, sorry the email address field turned you off; It's not perfect, but it's a good way to reduce duplicate responses, and it gives me a way to follow-up with someone if i want to better understand their answers.  Thankfully, I've already gotten over 100 responses, which is causing patterns to emerge — I am able to see which storage products and methodologies are most appealing based on the age of the builder and/or the size of their collection.

---tom

P.S. The survey is still up if you haven't had a chance to complete it yet.

Please check out this topic:

(I will merge both topics)

Sorting and storage are two different subjects

Sortology: the method of separation (your system)

Storology: the systems, methods and styles of storage (your solution)

Maybe they constitute two separate topics??