Well I don't have so many Lego as you guys , also some sets are built so I just bough two different bins and three boxes in a chinese store (in Spain there are a LOOOOT - I live in a 22 level house and my neighbours are chinese that have a store crossing the road ,so I have it easy).Also I have some Lego boxes where I also store it

I'm trying to decide between Akro-Mills and Raaco's 250 series. Raaco would allow me to use my space more efficiently, but, unlike Akro-Mills, it isn't made to be stackable (without it's freestanding rack, which, since I want to put them against a wall, isn't at all helpful). This is a problem mostly because I fear the Raaco stuff might be knocked over during cleaning. Any suggestions on how to keep them stable?

Even though the Akro-Mills are stackable, I am not sure I would stack them unsupported. The ones I have do have a place on the back for a screw support that could secure them to the wall. You might check to see if the Raaco has holes for screw support.

I was going to use a bunch of Akro-Mills cabinets but I decided I did not want my studio to be overrun with cabinets since my build room is also my display room. I transitioned to using Sterelite 15 quart bins with plastic baggies or Glad storage containers as my primary storage solution. The bins are kept in cabinets so when I am not in the middle of a build I can keep my LEGO studio looking neat.

IHTH

Andy D

How does everyone store their legos? Right now I have them half disassembled and back in there boxes, and I need a different way to store them. What do you do with the spare parts? etc? Do you disassemble the sets and just throw the pieces all together?

This is the 50th page of a thread on this topic. Lots of suggestions in the preceding pages. :)

I went through a couple pages but nothing along the lines of if yall actually break down the sets? or what?

There are threads where people mention things like that, but this thread seems mainly centered around storage and sorting of all the pieces, and people sharing what they've done and looking for ideas on types of containers and storage systems.

In any event, storing sets is not really quite the same subject, but I don't mind discussing it.

I personally like to keep sets as sets, so I partially break them down (if needed) to fit into "shoe box" size Sterilite containers (larger containers for some larger sets); often multiple sets will fit in one container, in which case I use gallon freezer bags to keep them separate.

Some people will completely disassemble sets for storage out of fear that the stress of being always connected will weaken clutch power (or even that bricks will crack over time). I'm obviously not one of them.

I generally just take apart my sets completely, storing them according to brick type for easy use in MOCcing.

I sometimes don't even build the sets, but store them immediately by brick type. But if you don't build MOCs, your perspective will be different.

Alois, too bad you did not wait another hour and 21 minutes. Then you could say you posted message #1234 at 12:34pm.

Now the question is, should the gear assortments or the letter bricks be stored here?

Alois, too bad you did not wait another hour and 21 minutes. Then you could say you posted message #1234 at 12:34pm.

Now the question is, should the gear assortments or the letter bricks be stored here?

Here, in the real Yurp, 12.34 PM has passed a couple of hours ago I'm afraid. And now back on topic...

I have a different set-up than most people. If I want a set built, it will be built. All of the sets that have been torn down, have been sorted with the rest of the pieces. So I couldn't say for sure what is the best way to store a set unbuilt, outside of it already being in the box to be built to begin with (alliteration at its finest)...

I'm trying to decide between Akro-Mills and Raaco's 250 series. Raaco would allow me to use my space more efficiently, but, unlike Akro-Mills, it isn't made to be stackable (without it's freestanding rack, which, since I want to put them against a wall, isn't at all helpful). This is a problem mostly because I fear the Raaco stuff might be knocked over during cleaning. Any suggestions on how to keep them stable?

I do not know for the 250, but Raaco's 150 / 1200 series can be attached with screws when stacked. That's those that I used for the two rows below here:

http://antp.be/temp/lego/WP_20150719_12_21_09_Pro_1.jpg

The smaller ones on top are other brands lighter plastic cases.

I brought a 6 draw cabinet from argos and was using this at first. Then realised this wasn't very well sorted...so Chinese takeaway clear pots started to build up. Which is now what I am using. Still have lots to sort out tho.

I didn't had to buy many storage for my bricks. I am taking mostly tools and screws drawers I or my father already have (my father has too much of these tool boxes, so I borrowed some)

I had to sort all my old sets since my parents moved (I stored my old Lego in their attic since my dark age). So, I got them back and took some tool boxes and drawers and then sort the bricks by type. I rarely sort by colours, except for the most current bricks.

But I don't know if I should begin to sort by color or just do it progressively as my collection will grow. What do you think ? Would I use more space but in smaller drawers ?

(snip)

But I don't know if I should begin to sort by color or just do it progressively as my collection will grow. What do you think ? Would I use more space but in smaller drawers ?

Start by sorting out the colors of which you have the most. Or set a quantity, say 40. Every color you have 40 or more pieces of a given type, sort. All colors of which you have less than 40 each, lump together.

I had a small container I made of LEGO to store 1x1 round plates until they got to be too much.

I'm thinking of building a Lego storage system using Lego building it like a screw/nail storage drawer system, has anyone tried this and did it work for you?

I have some lego stored in my garage, and I anticipate freezing temperatures in there from time to time this winter, down to say about -10 C. Any concerns?

I just display my completed sets on the bookshelf in my bedroom. For the spare lego pieces, I store them in some small boxes.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

Just bought this fantastic Stanley SortMaster Organizer for only 7.80 euros (Amazon.it). I tested it straight away and it worked perfectly for my pins! (Although they were too much for a single section :grin: )

I'm really looking forward to filling up the entire thing!

5UuYwA.jpgbPURut.jpg

Today I started sorting the pieces from about six unbuilt modular buildings.

So far I'm up to two large tubs for bricks and plates, a medium one for tiles, three smaller ones for windows / doors, textured bricks and special plates, as well as a small organizer for other, less-common bits.

I also have some large tubs with bricks (aside from the modulars) sorted by color, but I still have a lot of work to do until I finish (after two weeks of motivation and six months of procrastination) sorting most of my collection.