I use to have different kinds of storage. Now i only use Raaco. There expensive but good and have always the same dimensions and you can always buy new inserts.

Wow! Those look great. Very organized. May seem expensive for initial purchase, but looks like an excellent long term organizational solution.

I love seeing and hearing about all the storage solutions, it helps me get ideas about my own solution.

Andy D

Wow! That was post 1000! Posted in one of my favorite topics.

Edited by Andy D

fred67 - I found some for under $1 also, so that is probably what you were talking about. I hadn't noticed them before though. What are your thoughts on the quality? They seemed kind of flimsy with the lid only snapping on the sides. The other similar sized sterilite has a more rigid shape because of the reinforced handles. The cost is a big decision maker though.

Well... they're not food storage quality, but I haven't had any problems, and I like how they stack. I haven't dropped one, but I wouldn't expect a huge mess if I did, either.

Ultimately I'm quite comfortable with them, although I intend to eventually re-sort into my Akron mills and Stanley organizers.

Edited by fred67

The thing about these raaco cabinets is that if you run out of those separator inserts you just order them. And if you need to buy an extra cabinet next year you can stil buy them in the same dimensions.

I have several raaco cabinets (and a few of other brands) but I can't easily find the separators :/ I found a few once, but for more I had to make other ones myself by cutting a sheet of plastic.

Thanks, though that at that price, + seeing the location vs shipping costs, I may continue to make these myself :laugh:

Where to store minifigs and legos to avoid sunlight discolouration. Is keeping them under foldable bed good option? Im storing minifigs in my desk cabinet front to windows but in distance of 4 meters

Hi all,

I'm giving some serious consideration to designing a custom modular brick storage system specifically for the needs of LEGO users, and potentially Kickstarting the result if there's enough interest, and I wanted to ask:

- what do you hate about storage solutions you've used in the past?

- what do you love about storage solutions you've used in the past?

- what do you wish your storage solution could do?

- any dealbreakers - if it has this feature, you're not interested.

This is the user requirements phase, any comments gratefully accepted.

My current storage system is based on trays, and it's nice to use, but could do with a number of improvements. Details on my Flickr account here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41066434@N08/

and specifically here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/41066434@N08/14184701264/

Your system looks great. It is perfectly customized to your needs. And this is probably the biggest issue with Lego storage systems, people have different needs. Particularly the size of the Lego collection is of great influence on choice of storage system.

So any system you design would need to be able to accommodate different collection sizes.

So any system you design would need to be able to accommodate different collection sizes.

Yep, this is why I'm hoping to collect as many examples of people's particular needs as possible, so that I can at least try to cover as many as I can. If you have any specific requirements or things you look for in your storage, I'd be glad to know them.

I know anything I produce won't suit absolutely everyone - but I do think there are some specific features which suit LEGO users that most generic garage storage systems don't include, and I'd like try to make something which suits more of us better.

Hi all,

I'm giving some serious consideration to designing a custom modular brick storage system specifically for the needs of LEGO users, and potentially Kickstarting the result if there's enough interest, and I wanted to ask:

- what do you hate about storage solutions you've used in the past? I currently use Sterilite wide stacking drawers for parts and the modular latching Sterilite containers for sets and for larger parts. What bothers me the most is that the base of these plastic bins (and any plastic bins you can buy, really) are smaller than the top. Without straight sides, there is wasted space. With the shorter containers, this is not as much of an issue, but the taller containers have sides that slant a lot. Also, there are no plastic tubs out there that are an ideal height to house most built Lego sets. Either they are an inch or two short, or they are a lot taller and bigger in general.

For past storage solutions, I've used the parts drawers from the hardware store, but they were too small for my needs. I'd rather have a larger drawer with dividers inside containing a grouping of similar elements than having individual drawers for every type of part. Otherwise, I can't remember where everything is.

- what do you love about storage solutions you've used in the past? I like that the Sterilite wide drawers are shallow but wide, which makes looking for a piece easier. I like that they stack and are cheaper than more permanent solutions, and that I can easily add more as my collection grows. I also like the stack 'n carry line from Sterlite, which I use for sorting. The sides are straight, they stack nicely, and I can carry them more easily from room to room.

- what do you wish your storage solution could do? I'd like it to have more flexibility and compatibility. I want large drawers that contain BURPs to fit seamlessly with smaller drawers that contain specialty 1x1 plates. The deeper (or wider) drawers I need for bigger pieces don't fit together with the wide drawers I prefer, which makes the room look mismatched. Sterilite has some modular drawer solutions, but they're too deep and the drawers don't slide as well (plus I'd have to buy all new drawers and start over). I've found some plastic dividers that fit nicely in the sterilite wide drawers, but I wish there were various sizes of dividers.

As you can see, my wishlist is huge and impossibly long! :blush:

Well the case I purchased a little while ago is not as great as I first thought, after using it for a little while I have found that it does not seal well and as such my pieces ended up getting mixed back up :(

Hi all,

- what do you hate about storage solutions you've used in the past?

- what do you love about storage solutions you've used in the past?

- what do you wish your storage solution could do?

- any dealbreakers - if it has this feature, you're not interested.

It's easier to answer these all at once, especially since what I like is the opposite of what I don't like. I'll waive my usual consulting fee and let you know what I would like in a storage system if I could pick everything:

• Modular. Bins should be proportional to each other and to baseplate sizes.
  • Drawers. No bags, dividers, or separate containers with lids.
  • No internal dividers. They just hide the parts at the very back of drawers, they come loose, and they turn into little wells that are hard to dig through and pick elements out of.
  • Stackable / Connecting. They should connect together, or at the very least align when they stack.
  • Very shallow drawers. I'd rather have wide and shallow trays than deep ones; it's way easier to find parts. For larger parts, drawers should be 2x, 3x, Nx, the standard height.
  • Clear trays in an opaque cabinet.
  • Available long-term. I don't want to buy into a system that disappears a few months from now.
  • Free/inexpensive. Good luck.

Available long-term. I don't want to buy into a system that disappears a few months

This is probably the most important item to many of us, as I don't tend to buy all at once, and I don't have a firm idea about future quantity needs as my collection grows.

Andy D

I agree on bins should be stackable or the same size. I have never bought into any system yet, but only because I like uniformity and that is very tricky. I don't like the small and large drawer systems sterilite has since they don't connect together too well.

I don't mind the idea of having separate bins with lids instead of drawers only. My problem with drawers is (in a lot anyway) they aren't removable from the stand. I like to take my pieces out and dig through the container instead of having to sift through it while it is dangling from a shelf container.

With drawers or even larger bins, it'd be great to have something that also fits inside them. Something a lot like Really Useful Boxes, only a lot cheaper. Those look great, but I can't swing the prices they are asking for. But it'd make organization a lot easier long term.

I don't mind the idea of having separate bins with lids instead of drawers only. My problem with drawers is (in a lot anyway) they aren't removable from the stand. I like to take my pieces out and dig through the container instead of having to sift through it while it is dangling from a shelf container.

Yes, I forgot this - a drawer system without easily removable drawers would be a dealbreaker.

This new LEGO storage box just launched on Kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/treasurepals/treasure-bricks-organize-your-lego Their bio says that they have team members from LEGO and Toys R' Us, and the company has been around for a few years so should be available for the longterm. Especially when I have to buy the new LEGO Star Wars sets coming soon! Professional looking website - http://www.treasurepals.com I like that these storage boxes have removable drawers and are stackable/connectable. They are planning to design more sizes and colors so should be able to accommodate a lot of different needs. photo11.jpg

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my question, all comments are very much appreciated! Our current design sketches include:

• trays of various heights, but with the same width and depth
  • a removable lid / closure system. The lid is optional, so that if you plan to permanently rack the trays and don't need portability, there's no waste.
  • stackable with the lid on, rackable with the lid off
  • removable inner containers in the trays, in a range of sizes which can be laid out as desired (rather than removable divider walls, which can fail). Because these are removable, they're also optional - if you don't like internal dividers at all, just leave them out. Rounded bottom corners in these to make scooping out small parts easy. Independently movable so that the entire contents can be tipped out easily when needed (this is for moving parts to larger containers when needed, and for Bricklink sellers who need to count out parts).

Once we have a first round of design renders ready, we plan to make them available for feedback. The goal is to make a storage system which suits the LEGO community, and which meets the needs of as many different builders as possible, with different sorting and building styles, and varying collection sizes.

I looked at the Kickstarter mentioned above, but I think that system isn't going to address the needs of AFOLs very well - it looks like an awesome storage system for kids, but for a detailed breakdown of parts it's nowhere near what I would want for myself.

Wow. I really like the Treasurepals idea it helps solve the age old question. "How do I organize and store my LEGO"?

http://www.treasurepals.com

I used the official LEGO self-stacking storage containers only to get frustrated by how little they held and all the small pieces that would get stuck in the bottom. I'm really excited by this product! Not to mention they are giving us a voice to share our needs to build the best LEGO storage unit!

Here is the Link for their Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/treasurepals/treasure-bricks-organize-your-lego

Awesome,

Sam

Edited by SamGras

This new LEGO storage box just launched on Kickstarter - https://www.kickstar...anize-your-lego Their bio says that they have team members from LEGO and Toys R' Us, and the company has been around for a few years so should be available for the longterm. Especially when I have to buy the new LEGO Star Wars sets coming soon! Professional looking website - http://www.treasurepals.com I like that these storage boxes have removable drawers and are stackable/connectable. They are planning to design more sizes and colors so should be able to accommodate a lot of different needs. photo11.jpg

Would be nicer if the drawers were clear, and what do you do with smaller items that you have a few of. Maybe I should look at the site as they may have different sizes.

Edit: They do come in clear, but only one size.

Edited by rockethead26