I am here to bring up some new information on the storage containers from Aldi Süd in Germany. So for all Germans, here is a interesting note. From Thursday to Saturday, Aldi Süd offers again the stackable storage containers for 6,99€. More info and pictures are here: Click this link.

kw0613_do_07_d.jpg

I personally will get 2 or 3 more of those so I can finally store away my LotR sets.

I bought 3 of these Aldi storage system yesterday. though it costs much expensive here in suisse, around EUR 10.00 each but when compared to the ones sold at Jumbo, I can say the Aldi ones are much better and much cheaper.

storage_zpsdeb5b38f.jpg

I bought 3 of these Aldi storage system yesterday. though it costs much expensive here in suisse, around EUR 10.00 each but when compared to the ones sold at Jumbo, I can say the Aldi ones are much better and much cheaper.

It is exactly as you say. Compared to other sellers of such storage containers, they are still very cheap, even if you had to pay 10,00€. But, compared to Germany, everything is more expensive in Suisse. And I think the quality is more than sufficient for storing and sorting Lego.

I have just come out of my dark age of about 10 years and I really need to sort my legos out. My collection consist of one and a half 90 quart plastic containers. When I was young, I would just dump them out of the floor to make a circle and sit in the middle to build. Now my primary reason for getting back in is for prototyping robots efficiently. It takes me longer to find the parts I need than to build the model, plus after so many years I do not have any idea of how many part "x" I have remaining. Plus the constant shifting has made all of my old clear parts horribly scratched up. Since I live in a small apartment and move around alot, I cannot invest in an elaborate room with databases's and flowcharts and inventory tracking!

The way I want to organize them is by finding a few under-the-bed storage boxes and putting barriers inside for the large parts. Being able to look down and see exactly what is where while having an entire floor to work on seems the most comfortable way to build. I think the best way to sort them is by color for the bricks then everything else by type. It is easier for me to look into a pile of axels and know the difference between the black 10L and red 2L sizes. I think sorting them down to their specific color and size is over-sorting. But as far as bricks go, I rather look into a pile of bricks of the same color and pick out all of the 2x2's from that bin. Then I have the odd ball parts like one shark, a parrot, a drill, ect. that I think I might just dump into a single bin. To put a barrier between them would be over doing it I think.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit

I started pre-sorting my legos by tossing all the "different spectrum" items into a bin (IE, Wheels and mini figs are hard to confuse) and I began snapping like bricks together, letting them float in the pile adding as I found them. I also removed all of the large, unique items and put them in a separate pile. It was surprisingly effective, after about an hour I had some pretty decent piles and the smaller parts were a lot easier to find because of the smaller total pile. I also ended up with a large pile of bionicle mask, disk, and misc parts I will probably never use. Does anyone know how much they go for?

Edited by Vicviper789

For Those who live in Australia!!

I recently went to Bunnings and found a very nice draw storage system by a company called TacTix. for the life of me I cannot find any product information about these drawers online anywhere :wacko:

They are great value I feel at $29.95 each and at 485 x 358 160mm are a nice size and are stackable. with 30 small draws and 9 large draws they also have dividers that can be removed,

The Small Draws fit 6 x 8 studs wide in each divide or with the divider out, hold 6 x 16 studs wide and fit 3 Bricks high

The Large Draws fit 12 x 8 Studs wide in each divide or with the divider out, hold 12 x 16 Studs wide and fit 5 bricks high

For those interested the code for them is #BUN-320636

when 3 are stacked on-top of each other they reach about chest height

I have been looking around for a long time for some decent draws at a good price and I think this is it, we don't have the luxury of a home depot with choice.

8487668351_3d303aceb3_b.jpg

I would love to know your thoughts about these if you go pick some up :blush:

Edited by TanTile

I am here to bring up some new information on the storage containers from Aldi Süd in Germany. So for all Germans, here is a interesting note. From Thursday to Saturday, Aldi Süd offers again the stackable storage containers for 6,99€. More info and pictures are here: Click this link.

kw0613_do_07_d.jpg

I personally will get 2 or 3 more of those so I can finally store away my LotR sets.

These are now available on sale in Aldi stores in Hungary, too. Sale price is a little bit over 10 EUR. I feel it's still great value for money at that price, too. Is anyone using the 17 compartment one with the 8 open trays? The one with 33 drawers is an instant buy but I'm debating whether I should buy a few of this variant as well. (But I don't know whether those open trays would be suitable for Lego storing.)

Sadly they won't be sold at ALDI Nord. I now purchased some similar boxes (Allit VarioPlus original). I still need more.... :laugh: Maybe I can make a picture tonight.

These are now available on sale in Aldi stores in Hungary, too. Sale price is a little bit over 10 EUR. I feel it's still great value for money at that price, too. Is anyone using the 17 compartment one with the 8 open trays? The one with 33 drawers is an instant buy but I'm debating whether I should buy a few of this variant as well. (But I don't know whether those open trays would be suitable for Lego storing.)

they may be useful for storing technic beams and other big plates though I didn't buy them, the 33 drawers is much more useful for me

Is anyone using the 17 compartment one with the 8 open trays? The one with 33 drawers is an instant buy but I'm debating whether I should buy a few of this variant as well. (But I don't know whether those open trays would be suitable for Lego storing.)

I bought one of each (when they were sold by Aldi Belgium), I do not use them much yet because I bought others recently, but I planned to use the open trays for larger parts (e.g. 2xN bricks, panels, 4xN plates, arches, etc.) that do not risk of falling even if stacked above the border. Especially since the small trays are smaller than those that I had previously, so I guess they are fine only for small parts of small quantities where the average ones I had previously were rather multi-purpose.

Edited by antp

I have 4 of the ones with the big drawers and something like 10 of the small drawer version. I do like the big drawer version very much. At least with my setup. Since I'm a Technic builder, I have a s**tload of beams and pins, so I put beams and pins in the big drawers. The beams, because I have a lot of them and they don't fit in the small drawers. The pins, because the big ones are easy accesible (and as a technic builder, I use A LOT of pins) and because, again, I have a lot of them.

Sorry for the messy post :blush:

Since I'm a Technic builder

Are you? :laugh:

I could only find two technic mocs in your brick-shelf page. :blush:

As I said earlier in this topic I have four small compartment trays which are good for small stuff,plus you can divide them into bigger or smaller compartment sizes.

Free-fee-NEW-plastic-storage-box-36-compartment-section-removable-wall-DIY-craft-box-Sundries-box.jpg

Are you? :laugh:

I could only find two technic mocs in your brick-shelf page. :blush:

As I said earlier in this topic I have four small compartment trays which are good for small stuff,plus you can divide them into bigger or smaller compartment sizes.

:laugh::blush:

There's the crawler loader and a totally FAILED car....

That's because I have an Piaggio Ape sitting here for almost 2 years unfinished. Luckily, it's finally almost finished. In that 2 years, I was also working on some other things. I have a WIP supercar, aa Amphibex (but that thing is probably going to be taken apart, it doesn't work) and some other small things that never saw daylight...

But, yes, you're right, I haven't been finishing much last time... That will all change this year, because I stared this year with the thought "Build more, think less" :sweet:

Oh, back on topic. I made some photos of my setup (I'm cleaning things at the moment, so it's a bit of a mess):

Not on the photos: a cupboard with a large box unsorted stuff, many useless pieces, baseplates, instructions and some old Technic sets like 852. Also a displaycase with some Chima, Discovery and Technic sets isn't on the photos.

8490810441_acec093986.jpg

Work area by legolijntje, on Flickr

8490810279_9e90d6a2cc.jpg

Work area by legolijntje, on Flickr

More photos on my Flickr

I pretty much have the same as legolijntje but less drawers. All I have is two cabinets that add up to about 100 drawers and I am struggling to fill them. Anybody know where I can find decent lego technic bulk lots?

Hello all,

I hope this will not be considered as bumping the tread but I figured I would not create a new one.

I have just moved to the UK (London area) and I plan to finally have my lego room and gather all my legos that are spread across several locations into one place :blush: . The problem is that I do not know any stores that would sell drawer in the country. Ideally, I would be purchasing mid-sized transparent drawers that would be fixed on wooden shelves.

The drawers I have found on the internet are either too small (good for nails) or too big (container for towels).

Thanks for letting me know the store brands I should be aiming to. Any advises are more than welcome.

Well, I don't live in the UK, but I think amazon.co.uk might be useful. I don't exactly understand what you need, but you could try searching for "Akro Mils", like this one. They are expensive though, but you can seach the categories on Amazon or use the search bar. I'm sure they have more :wink:

Hello there fellow LEGO MOCers.

First I would like to say I sold all my OLD collection (well ok 99.9%) and now bought like 5000-6000 LEGO sets(together with over 50 LEGO minifigs from CMF) to start MOCing

I am looking for a cheap and decent way to store my items. I remember there were blue/red boxes with 9 slots to store LEGOs, but I am especially concerned how to effectively store small accessories and heads since in those big boxes they are too deep down to constantly pull the up with my hands.

Also those accessories like fires, cheese slopes, etc. get stuck in those LEGO boxes and I cant turn the box around without emptying the whole box of other parts.

Also a couple of questions:

- Do you seperate bricks (1x1, 1x2, 1x3.....) only by color or also by size (seperating grey 1x1 from grey 1x2 and 2x2)

- Do you keep heads attached (is it wise) or do you keep everything unattached in boxes)

So ye any ideas and solutions to storage are welcome.

I only have relatively low amount of pieces (probably will exceed 6000 number with arrival of MMV) but still once I will pass 15.000 or so it will be pain to keep sorting everything.

So ye any ideas and solutions to storage are welcome.

I have merged your questions into the existing storage discussion thread. Reading back you can find plenty of ideas that may apply to your own case. :classic:

First I would like to say I sold all my OLD collection (well ok 99.9%) and now bought like 5000-6000 LEGO sets(together with over 50 LEGO minifigs from CMF) to start MOCing

I only have relatively low amount of pieces (probably will exceed 6000 number with arrival of MMV) but still once I will pass 15.000 or so it will be pain to keep sorting everything.

Alcarin, I hope you mean 5000-6000 pieces, because you'd need a LOT of cash for that amount of sets in one go :D

Anyway... As I know you're from Slovenia, I'll just post you some links. I bought most of my sorting equipment in Merkur:

I have 8 boxes like these for sorting minifig accessories and technic pieces. They're awesome because you can set the compartment size:

http://www.merkur.si/delavnica/lestve-in-oprema-delavnice/kovcki-kasete-torbe-in-vozicki-za-orodje/plasticna-skatla-38-2x23-4x4-8-cm.html

I also have these for some parts that I keep directly on my building desk, and they are great for stacking:

http://www.merkur.si/delavnica/lestve-in-oprema-delavnice/zaboji/zaboj-set-zabojckov-15-kos-st-1-rdec-in-st-2-moder.html

And these:

http://www.merkur.si/delavnica/lestve-in-oprema-delavnice/zaboji/predalnik-300x135x420-mm-35-predalckov-30-4-1.html

Check for other sizes of this large drawer-system, because they have multiple sizes with different-sized drawers.

It will probably be expensive at first, but as soon as your collection is sorted, you'll undoubtedly see a great improvement in your building speed due to knowing where each piece is,

I currently keep my minifigs unassembled. Also, I sort smaller pieces by part, not by color, becuase I don't reall have that many yet (approx. 11,000), so the fit nicely in the drawers. Also, the large multi drawer system is great for sorting pieces by part and then by color, becuase you can keep same colors or parts side by side, whatever your preference.

Thanks for that MikroMan but today in Obi shop I found similar to your 1st link plastic storage boxes for whooping 2.69€ dimensions are 27x32x5.20 or something close to that (from head)

bought 2 for starters!

Nice. Yeah, I know, there's a lot of boxes like these in shops, with different dimensions. I had some troubles at first, because I bought some boxes that were not equal in size and I had problems shelving them, so they took waaay too much space. All solvled now, thankfully.