Ha! I use those, too. Actually, at the moment, those have become my MOST USED storage tool. :laugh:

I really need to get to sorting. Sheesh. I have three 189L Rubbermaid totes that need to be parted out. I'm dreading it. :laugh:

I recently sorted out my collection as well. Trust me, the results are worth it.

Ah. So with all those drawers, what is it that gets stored in the peanut butter jars?

Misc. Pieces such as painted tiles, 1*1 plates and other small pieces. I even have one jar that hold 1*2 bricks, when it empties I refill from a large tub in storage.

I recently sorted out my collection as well. Trust me, the results are worth it.

But, the TIME! *huh*:wacko::sick:

My wife ALREADY claims that she doesn't see enough of me! :laugh:

Get the wife to help sort!

it's a 'together' time! :laugh:

Get the wife to help sort!

it's a 'together' time! :laugh:

Oh, I've tried that.

She's not falling for it. :laugh:

Oh, I've tried that.

She's not falling for it. :laugh:

Or do it in a family space such as a living room or kitchen. If not that, ask neighborhood children to help and pay them with unwanted minifigs.

Or do it in a family space such as a living room or kitchen. If not that, ask neighborhood children to help and pay them with unwanted minifigs.

'Family room' in the basement. :grin:

Umm...what are "unwanted minifigs"? :laugh:

Or you could just try sorting them out a handful at a time or pick out the pieces u can see that fit in a catagory.

I've "sort of", "kind of" been doing something similar, though not in an 'organized' manner.

As I've been rooting through (looking for Hoth trooper helmets from my old snowspeeder sets), I've been pulling out 'anything minifig' related, 'anything animal' and 'anything plant' and setting them aside to be 'micro-sorted'.

Misc. Pieces such as painted tiles, 1*1 plates and other small pieces. I even have one jar that hold 1*2 bricks, when it empties I refill from a large tub in storage.

Ah. Any particular reason why you place those in the jars? I personally don't like jars, because the only way to see everything inside is to dump the contents out.

'Family room' in the basement. :grin:

Umm...what are "unwanted minifigs"? :laugh:

I've "sort of", "kind of" been doing something similar, though not in an 'organized' manner.

As I've been rooting through (looking for Hoth trooper helmets from my old snowspeeder sets), I've been pulling out 'anything minifig' related, 'anything animal' and 'anything plant' and setting them aside to be 'micro-sorted'.

That's how I started with my sorting. As far as unwanted minifigs go, why not the CMF 3 race car driver or the CW Anakin figures they seem to give us in every other set?

Well, right now I have them in ziploc bags as sets, then in a big plastic tub. I'm thinking about the sort 'n store method. A question, what do you do with the printed pieces/stickered pieces for specific sets?

Edited by Legocrazy81

Ah. Any particular reason why you place those in the jars? I personally don't like jars, because the only way to see everything inside is to dump the contents out.

They are transparent, and almost always they are filled with one type. One willed with 1*2 bley log, 1*2 with grooves for exampe.

Does anyone here have a good method for storing keychains? I would like a volume efficient solution that doesn't expose keychains to dust (I keep them in small ziplock baggies). Currently I just put all these small bags into a big plastic bag, but this makes it hectic to find any single keychain.

What about a similar solution for minifigs?

That's how I started with my sorting. As far as unwanted minifigs go, why not the CMF 3 race car driver or the CW Anakin figures they seem to give us in every other set?

With the race car driver: yeah, I got more than I would have liked but, just swap heads and you've got a whole racing team.

As for Anakin: I don't buy CW or PT sets, so that's not an issue for me. :grin:

How do you guys separate your parts? Do you only put the identical parts together, or do you combine them?

Right now I'm using ziploc bags which I then put in drawers. I'm not separating parts by size though, only type. e.g. I put all plates, regardless of size, together in one bag. I have another bag of car parts - axles of all sizes. A bag of wheels (of all sizes). You get my drift.

Am I doing it wrong? It's just that I don't want too many bags otherwise it makes things hard to find.

How do you guys separate your parts? Do you only put the identical parts together, or do you combine them?

Right now I'm using ziploc bags which I then put in drawers. I'm not separating parts by size though, only type. e.g. I put all plates, regardless of size, together in one bag. I have another bag of car parts - axles of all sizes. A bag of wheels (of all sizes). You get my drift.

Am I doing it wrong? It's just that I don't want too many bags otherwise it makes things hard to find.

The only sets that I keep disassembled are my Mindstorms sets. I keep their parts in some plastic cases that have small drawers. It's more or less like this:

I don't put them in ziplock bags before, since the drawers are relatively small. I have seen people use things like these too.

I don't know what the best sorting is, but for me, a combination of size and type would do the trick.

Anyone know the if I can get this anywhere cheaper?

Or if its even worth buying?

41qccIIqX8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-DS-39-Drawer-Storage-Cabinet/dp/B000HJBA1W/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_c

lowes may have one. i like the system since it's perfect for small bits. They are very popular with a lot of people.

I was at Home Depot (store in the USA), and they had those Stack-On brand cabinets in the section by tools. They were in the tool section at the front-middle part of the store.

I imagine you could just use that Amazon link though and it would be the same price or cheaper.

I use the similar Akro-Mils cabinets. I like them well enough. My collection is starting to grow though, and I find myself thinking about getting larger storage....

Hire the neighborhood kids to help, pay them 25 cents/similar local currency if not in USA per hour, plus a bit extra for every pound sorted. (Check pockets when they finish though, you may find some "missing parts"

Hire the neighborhood kids to help, pay them 25 cents/similar local currency if not in USA per hour, plus a bit extra for every pound sorted. (Check pockets when they finish though, you may find some "missing parts"

I put my 5 kids to action. It's amazing how many blocks we can sort in an hour of "work".

Just ordered 200 of these for £8.

650cl-take-away-container-s.jpg

Chinese takeaway tubs. Plastic, clear, stackable and very cheap.

They also do a bunch of different sizes.

Check this website out for all their shapes and sizes....this is the answer!!!

Here's the good stuff....

I use these for some of mine, didn't buy them though just washed them after eating the chinese takeaway :classic:

D