Sign in to follow this  
Carbohydrates

6-Wide Pickup

indexed.gif V-LV-24B

Hello! This will be my first formal MOC post as the only other thing I've posted was a series of SNOT exercises. Well, what good are those if you don't put 'em to use?

This is a (mostly) 6-wide pickup truck in classic red, of course. I'd like to say I had some sort of intent with this, but I really had no direction at all. In fact, it started as a car! I'm very happy with how it turned out, though, especially the bed.

Front view!

rt001.png

Here's the rear, featuring that bed I mentioned.

rt002.png

Originally, this didn't have any of the "raised" portions such as that 1x1 by the cab or the three tiles by the gate, but they were added for stability once I realized the assembly would fall apart if you looked at it hard enough without them. In fact, without that raised 1x1 by the cab, the entire bed would have been held to the cab by one lonely plate.

rt003.png

The underside. Not very pretty, I'll admit. The hinge you see is only there because it has hollow studs and I needed some support for that bracket.

rt004.png

The sides of the bed are 1x8 tiles held in place by 1x1 technic bricks with half pins. Why not use the 1x1 brick with 2 studs on the sides, you ask? Because I'm using an outdated CAD program that doesn't have that part. :classic: Also, the top one has to be a technic brick so the 1x4 tile will stay in place.

rt005.png

The front, taken apart.

rt006.png

The biggest downside to this design is that it's rather large. Observe as it towers over these pitiful 80's and 90's town cars! It probably works fine with the current City scale, though.

rt007.png

Thanks for viewing!

Excellent job. I really like it. It fits in well with a modern or classic town layout. I like the tiled look as well. The smooth surface makes the truck look more sleek. It's very SNOTty! Excellent technique. Thanks for bring your creation to EB!

Looks great. You did a brilliant job fitting all that detail and SNOT trickery into such a small, sleek looking design. Do you know what the price for this little truck would be if it were available through Factory or the like?

Looks great. You did a brilliant job fitting all that detail and SNOT trickery into such a small, sleek looking design. Do you know what the price for this little truck would be if it were available through Factory or the like?

Thanks!

No idea on the cost. It's 206 pieces in common colors, mostly common parts. If you went through Bricklink, I'd estimate maybe $25 or so?

It would have to be modified somewhat, by updating the the tailgate to the "click-clack" hinge look.

This truck looks nice! :thumbup:

I'd like to see this in real bricks. :classic:

Hope you won't mind if i try building it. :cry_happy:

Seems a little flimsy, but very authentic looking.

This truck looks nice! :thumbup:

I'd like to see this in real bricks. :classic:

Hope you won't mind if i try building it. :cry_happy:

Seems a little flimsy, but very authentic looking.

Oh, be my guest! I can provide any cross section shots you need. The cab and bed are actually very stable, the bed more so than it looks, it's only that wraparound section used for the front end that wouldn't be. I'm trying to think of a clean way to reinforce the front without impacting the looks.