Sign in to follow this  
furious

LUBE for pneumatics

I have a 8868 Air tech Claw Rig.

I was using it yesterday and the pneumatics were very tight.

I rubbed some olive oil on the pistons and that seemed to free them up.

What else have people used to free stuck pneumatics and turntables?

Thanks for the tip.

When ever I see a word such as "Lube" with this group, I am wary about the possible contents to follow...

I think it says in the instructions that you should "pump" the pneumatics before you place them in a model. I always did this several times before using them and never had a problem til now.

I haven't done this, but it could be a good idea in some situations. Some of my pistons definitely feel stiffer than others. You would need to make sure that the substance won't cause the piston to rust over time though.

I never had any problem with turntables. I would be less inclined to do anything with those in any case, since the oil is more likely to spread to other pieces and make things dirty.

I got a lightly used 8851 Excavator a while ago, which uses the old pneumatic system, and the previous owner had put a thin layer of some oily substance on the (plastic) piston shanks. It seems to work pretty well, although I can't tell what the pistons were like before.

The olive oil is non reactive with plastics and rubber. A mineral oil will destroy rubber parts.

I know that people use graphite powder for turntables. That would get messy.

How I applied the olive oil is spray some on a paper towel then rub it onto the piston. So there is no messy excess. I would do the same on a stuck turntable.

I've used a silicone spray on old school car wheels to make them run smoother and stop the squeek, guess it would work on turntables and pneumatics as well,

Paul