Brickbeard's Bounty Vs Red Beard Runner

Brickbeard's Bounty Vs Red Beard Runner  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Which set is better?

• 6289 Red Beard Runner
    • 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty
    • equal

RBR rudder is workig while BB`s not

Are you sure RBR Rudder is working while BB's not? I think RBR RUdder is the same as BB because RBR's stern has a collapse system, and i guess this collapse system is incompatible with a working rudder like SES

As far as I know, only the Skull's Eye Schooner and (old) Imperial Flagship had the working rudder.

On that note, it would be much easier installing a working rudder on the Red Beard Runner then it would on the Brickbeards Bounty, because of the different hulls.

Well, let's see...in point form.

RBR's sails look cooler for sure: their tattered appearance is nice. The skull pattern also looks a whole lot better, also the fixedness (or whatever) of the BB's sails is not that great. 2 point RBR

BB has more sails making the whole thing seem a bit fuller, if you will. 1 point BB

All the ropes and stuff around the place makes the RBR look a little more genuine. 1 point RBR

I'll take the old shark any day over these modern ones. 1 point to RBR (albeit a small one)

The stern of the BB is better, I would say, in every way. 2 points BB

The cannon system is really lousy on the RBR. Frankly I don't consider the BB too much better, but definitely a point for BB or perhaps I should minus one for the RBR. 1 point BB

The captain's quarters in the BB are quite nice, whereas its opponents are pretty worthless affording no privacy or proper...anyway I'd give 2 points to BB for that entire region. 2 points BB

The BB lacks the "old pirate" feel. Definite point for RBR. 1 point RBR

The minifigs: frankly this area may make all the difference for me. For some reason I am not particularly attracted to many of the new minifigs. Cap'n Roger and Ironhook far surpass anything their opponents can throw at them. This is not to mention their band of ruffians who are all quite awesome in their own way. Two of the pirates in the BB are decent and two in the RBR are just decent, but otherwise the RBR wins hands down, in this respect, for me. How many points to give them though? 2 or 3? Don't know. Either way the RBR wins, but by not very much. Maybe I should call it a tie.

Although, honestly, these are not my favorites as far as the pirate ships are concerned. The RBR's crew, however, may be one of my favorites ever to find themselves on one ship. What's more Cap'n Roger and Ironhook in the same set? Sweet. It's just a shame that the ship itself is a bit below standards, if you know what I mean.

Well, let's see...in point form.

RBR's sails look cooler for sure: their tattered appearance is nice. The skull pattern also looks a whole lot better, also the fixedness (or whatever) of the BB's sails is not that great. 2 point RBR

BB has more sails making the whole thing seem a bit fuller, if you will. 1 point BB

All the ropes and stuff around the place makes the RBR look a little more genuine. 1 point RBR

I'll take the old shark any day over these modern ones. 1 point to RBR (albeit a small one)

The stern of the BB is better, I would say, in every way. 2 points BB

The cannon system is really lousy on the RBR. Frankly I don't consider the BB too much better, but definitely a point for BB or perhaps I should minus one for the RBR. 1 point BB

The captain's quarters in the BB are quite nice, whereas its opponents are pretty worthless affording no privacy or proper...anyway I'd give 2 points to BB for that entire region. 2 points BB

The BB lacks the "old pirate" feel. Definite point for RBR. 1 point RBR

The minifigs: frankly this area may make all the difference for me. For some reason I am not particularly attracted to many of the new minifigs. Cap'n Roger and Ironhook far surpass anything their opponents can throw at them. This is not to mention their band of ruffians who are all quite awesome in their own way. Two of the pirates in the BB are decent and two in the RBR are just decent, but otherwise the RBR wins hands down, in this respect, for me. How many points to give them though? 2 or 3? Don't know. Either way the RBR wins, but by not very much. Maybe I should call it a tie.

Although, honestly, these are not my favorites as far as the pirate ships are concerned. The RBR's crew, however, may be one of my favorites ever to find themselves on one ship. What's more Cap'n Roger and Ironhook in the same set? Sweet. It's just a shame that the ship itself is a bit below standards, if you know what I mean.

You are wrong about Roger and Ironhook are in the same set. The guy with the same head and torso as Ironhook but with a brown tricorn instead a captain hat is called Jake the Snake Blake, according with an official Lego Magazine that inform us about RBR's tripulation names.

Are you sure it isn't Ironhook? I thought it was a historical shot of him before he became a captain of his own. :pir-blush:

Or maybe Roger demanded he return after his fruitless scavenging about on the natives' land. Anyway, there is another captain's hat available in the set if you want to make him Ironhook. :pirate_skel1:

Here is my two cents on the sets

Red Beard Runner 6289

Noooooo! Gimmicks no please not gimmicks. The ship features a back that can fall off and a mast that can lean to the side, my question is why are these features needed, Lego in and of itself is a construction toy, why do we need to have a feature to show destruction when you can simply destroy it and make it up again, Lego you have missed the fundamental joy of what you are. What is the cost of having this magic feature? No Cabin, we have a large ship but no cabin for its mighty captain. To hammer the final nail home in the coffin that is the Red Beard Runner, we have the sails, a ship this large and we only get one sail per mast (it’s usually two) and it’s ripped, dreadful. On the plus side we get a nice variation of minifigs and two black bandanas, which I believe are very rare. But if the best thing I can say for a ship is that we have black bandanas then it does not look good. Compared to the previous two ships, this is a big letdown.

Brickbeard’s Bounty 6243

I really like this ship because it actually brown (and hence made of wood) the cabin in the back can be lifted off and there is enough gold trimming to make even the royal family blush, the hull itself is just very pretty. It should also be noted that the ship is they only one to include opponents (in another blue rowing boat, yay) and a prisoner (the beautiful admiral’s daughter), which is why I can forgive the small number of actual pirate crew members. The set is severally let down by its sails though, they just look so childish with that big stupid skull and cross bones, my advice to make this set great, buy some old school sails (for bricklink) or make your own, the silly cannon at the back also isn’t great (I just removed it). This set is not as great as the classic Barracuda or Schooner but it far outshines the Runner and I feel it will have the nostalgic factor playing for it in about 10 years time. Change the sails and this set rocks.

I just have far less to do to like the Bounty over the Runner, sure the sails are poor for the Bounty but thats easily fixed,as for the Runner it takes ages to reconstruct the set and get it to a state I like (I remodel it to have a cabin and remove the destruction stuff).

My vote is Bounty

Brickbeard's Bounty for me, the detailing is wonderful (must rebuild this week)....now the sails, well look it's a child's toy and it has to look like a child's toy I guess. :pir-wink:

Are you sure it isn't Ironhook? I thought it was a historical shot of him before he became a captain of his own. :pir-blush:

Or maybe Roger demanded he return after his fruitless scavenging about on the natives' land. Anyway, there is another captain's hat available in the set if you want to make him Ironhook. :pirate_skel1:

I am talking about Official Lego data. You may be interested in that post:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50788&view=findpost&p=966275

a ship that is pretty much shot up before the battle isn't doing much good in a battle to start out with. But besides that, Red Beard Runner also has less fire power and less minifigs (has just 1/2 a bow minifig, where the Brickbeard's Bounty has a complete one). Besides those things, I just find the Red Beard Runner lacking in design. I do want the ship in my fleet, but then modified and all fixed so it actually can do something :pir-tongue:

Darn! It's not Ironhook. I have been deceived! :pir_laugh2:

Definitely the best part of the RBR is the minifigs though. I still consider its set of minifigs as the best to ever crew a pirate ship. For the ship itself, I have to agree that the BB is probably the better option of choice as the RBR has a lot of issues, shall I say. Definitely, for the ship itself, though, the Skull's Eye Schooner is the ultimate of the pirate ships...although I haven't seen either the QAR or the Black Pearl, so...