der seb

Exclusive Train 10194 Emerald Night (Exclusive 2009)

Interesting, at least they give reasons for the stuff being late. I'll forgive them. Do you think there's any possibility though of the newer transmitters being better in some way than the batch mine must have come from?

Interesting, at least they give reasons for the stuff being late. I'll forgive them. Do you think there's any possibility though of the newer transmitters being better in some way than the batch mine must have come from?

Well, I have looked at the PF spec's (trying to create some IR stuff for PF myself) and it is quite simple so I don't think your transmitter will be different from the ones of the new batch.

Based on my knowledge on that kind of "problems" some heads will (or should) be rolling on TLC floor soon. TLC is dealing with chinese suppliers now and this could be tricky (as they found out, the hard way)

Following up on this discussion, there is an interesting post today at TechnicBricks on the issue with the controller. TLG is actually doing a recall on all existing units, although it's hard to know how serious the heating problem is.

Following up on this discussion, there is an interesting post today at TechnicBricks on the issue with the controller. TLG is actually doing a recall on all existing units, although it's hard to know how serious the heating problem is.

For the sake of neatness, please discuss this issue here.

For the sake of neatness, please discuss this issue here.

Whoops, I didn't notice that it was already posted there. :tongue:

So what are your thoughts on cars for this baby? Is it possible that The LEGO Group might produce a Pullman set in the near future?

Based on the sticker sheet included with 10194, it looks likely, but if they are going to make some coach kits it's anyone's guess when they're coming. Next year probably. Personally I'd like to see a kitchen coach, sleeping coach, brake end coach and maybe even a Devon Belle style observation car. Lego could make less different kits than the number of various coaches that could be built by sticking instructions and enough parts for a couple of different coaches in each kit like I seem to recall them doing for the Super Chief. Another option would be one kit with a hefty price tag but parts and instructions for all coaches inside.

Finally got my own Emerald Night!

Gave it a good test, both on my 16ftx12ft looped-eight 9V layout and with some flexi-track.

The engine, motorised as per the instructions, runs well on normal track, if a bit slower than trains using train motors.

It noticed the load of one carriage, which sets a worrying trend. Certainly needs train motors as well for long trains.

It also noticed the slope at up to 1 in 30, but the difference was not as much as from adding the carriage. There was more increase in speed going down the hill than the decrease in speed going up the hill, compared to the speed on the flat.

Using a PF medium motor instead, and enough train motors under the carriages, should sort out any shortfall in speed or load capability.

During assembly I was careful to place the bevel gear fully onto the 5.5M axle.

I added an extra half bush to the rear driving wheel axle so as to retain the bevel gear if it ever slipped off the axle.

Before motorising the engine, I made sure the wheels turned freely and that there were no frictional loads in the drive train.

For the flexi-track test I used 96 pieces to make a track circuit with sharp bends, double bends, wider curves approaching straight and a wiggly-bit-from-hell, in order to make it a thorough test.

The EN driving wheels at that chassis length hate sharp bends and make far too much noise.

There is considerable oscillation and vibration on bends, most noticeable at speed level 2.

But, to be fair, it did not de-rail. Perhaps this is more important for children than noise or vibration. Maybe being louder and looking more lively is a good thing!

The wiggly-bit-from-hell consists of track pieces fixed to a baseplate at every other piece, moving 0.5M across the baseplate each time. This means alternate track hinges are turned fully in opposite directions.

The EN had fewer problems with this bit, except at maximum speed, where it emulated a bee dance!!!

A 1-plate hill, up to and down from the wiggly bit baseplate, caused the driving wheels to rise off the track altogether on descent, with loss of traction. Using train motors under the carriage would fix this too.

The full charge time says 4 hours, but that is with 700mA at 10V, which is about the limit of safety for a toy, so faster charging would not be possible. A 3-cell 11.1V battery would have needed over 12V to charge it, which a toy cannot have. Any higher current would have risked overheating something, especially if someone experimented with connecting things to the transformer! I once had a 4.5V lead overheat whilst using the old Technic motors. They needed twice the current of 9V motors.

I noticed the pictured 2x6 plates change colour from black to brown between instruction stages!

Given the position of the charger plug when charging the EN battery in the tender, I incorporated the charger plug into a water crane!

The basic verdict is:

Emerald Night - great - order one for Christmas if you haven't already.

Power Functions for trains (battery, charger, receiver, motor, light) - great - order as above.

Flexi-track - ugly and noisy - redesign!

Mark