der seb

Exclusive Train 10194 Emerald Night (Exclusive 2009)

Emerald Night Collection? Am I missing something? What is the Emerald Night Collection?

It's been realeased on S@H this afternoon for North America. Europe should follow very soon!

I sent them an email to ask whether I might upgrade my order made this morning... :sceptic:

I have to admit that while I love the train and the future potential of the power system, $100 (USD) for the train and another $100 for the power system package is pretty high.

I suppose we have to look at the Power System from the perspective of all that it can do, and not just for trains. I'm wondering if Lego will offer a package deal for both (train & power system), before I order them separately.

I'm wondering if Lego will offer a package deal for both (train & power system), before I order them separately.

At least in the U.S., that is exactly what they are doing.

Emerald Night = $100

Power Functions accessory pack for trains = $100

Emerald Night Collection (Emerald Night + Power Functions kit + Flexible Track) = $220

Admittedly there really isn't a "package deal" in the $220 package.

A train with a locomotive that has no controls inside, a badly designed chimney and no doors, a tender without coal pieces and a dinig car with only two cups, no coffee machine or other accessory and only three minifigs. And for that and all the stuff that it is aible to drive 220 Euros?!

Don't you realise that the only thing because of which this new train set looks so nice is the new driving function?! :hmpf:

I see what you are saying, but I think you are possibly a little harsh on this set. Yes, it is expensive with the PF stuff, but on its own, it's AUD150 for 1,000+ pieces.

And some of the poor interiors can be fixed up with a tiny bit of MODing. I don't think you should frown upon a set because it only has 2 cups either.

Anyway, I just ordered 10194 Emerald Night as a preorder for April 15! Hooray! :pir-sweet:

And hold me to this - I promise I will make a review in the academy. Happy now Zorro?

More news about the power functions used in the new train set can be found at TechnicBRICKs.

Sooo ... do we have any news about what was going on at these "unveiling events" which were supposed to take place on March 27 & 28?

Sorry, no news or photos from St. Pölten so far. :look:

€240 for the complete collection here in Ireland, compared to €220 for Germany. Woohoo... I may well try to organise something about getting it from the UK - £160 (~€175), or even just £68.50 for the train (€75). Plus cheaper shipping. I could even factor in postage from someone in the UK and still have a cheaper deal!

I'm tempted to forgo the power functions kit altogether though and just get the train.

This movie by the designer of the 10194 Emerald Night give you the history about this remarkable set.

Dammit! It took me hours to try and download that video from legomilk's link, now you show it on YouTube. Bugger! Pretty interesting video though. I thought that it looked even better than I originally thought in that video.

I was there, but I was somehow disappointed (with the presentation of 10194, the rest was great). Yes, 10194 was there, but just one box and one (non-motorized). emerald night. XL engine was boult in, but it semms that the new battery box was not available, so there were some unconnected wires on the back of the engine. Other new PF stuff was not there just aroun one meter fo new flexible track (which even uglier than it looked on pictures).

Here are some pictures:

The box: (the whole presentation was just this:one lonely box with handwritten "weltneuheit" (world news) written on a sheet of paper next to it)

280320091100.jpg

Train itself:

280320091109.jpg

Passenger car (you can notice ugly new tracks)

280320091112.jpg

280320091107.jpg

p3220146.jpg

Notice the wires (sorry for quality, it was taken with phone)

280320091111.jpg

280320091118.jpg

TGV running by:

280320091114.jpg

280320091102.jpg

Here you can see new tracks connected to old:

280320091108.jpg

280320091110.jpg

p3220144.jpg

280320091119.jpg

p3220147.jpg

My first impression is that it is an nice train, but some things could be done better. In my opinion the boiler is too bulky, and the passsenger car is too short. Whole train look silly with engine pullin just one car half size of it. The colours are very nice though, both engine and car are looking like very a good source of parts for future MOC-s.

I was there, but I was somehow disappointed (with the presentation of 10194, the rest was great). Yes, 10194 was there, but just one box and one (non-motorized). emerald night. XL engine was boult in, but it semms that the new battery box was not available, so there were some unconnected wires on the back of the engine. Other new PF stuff was not there just aroun one meter fo new flexible track (which even uglier than it looked on pictures).

EDIT: Pics ecxluded

My first impression is that it is an nice train, but some things could be done better. In my opinion the boiler is too bulky, and the passsenger car is too short. Whole train look silly with engine pullin just one car half size of it. The colours are very nice though, both engine and car are looking like very a good source of parts for future MOC-s.

Thanks for the great pictures Cwetqo :sweet: ! They look great!

The details being visible enough, i can say that i like it alot. The engine's design is great but it sure needs more passenger wagons.

I must agree on the flexible tracks issue. I don't know how well they are going to work considering the design and creation of a track layout, but the look of them is ugly.

It reminds me of one of those tracks that are used in plastic toy trains for ages 3-5. They definetely don't look realistic, considering of course that Emerald Night's design is not futuristic/modern. So, there is not even the excuse of modernised high-tech tracks (still refering on how the tracks look).

Thanks again for the pictures. :thumbup:

Cwetqo's wonderfully informative post brings back the topic of this set offering a wonderful engine and GREAT colours for the passenger wagons... which however are also quite rare, especially in combination with the special parts that. For example, I don't think there's any other set which offers these tan train windows/doors (correct me if I'm wrong), so building a second passenger wagon should in any case be a pretty big issue, as long as you want it to resemble the original one. At least that's how things should look during the first few months, before enough of these become freely available on Bricklink - at which point though they should still command a pretty high price...

I don't think there's any other set which offers these tan train windows/doors (correct me if I'm wrong), so building a second passenger wagon should in any case be a pretty big issue, as long as you want it to resemble the original one. At least that's how things should look during the first few months, before enough of these become freely available on Bricklink - at which point though they should still command a pretty high price...

Good point. Although I can see it being a wise move for LEGO to produce more cars. I'm quite sure they would sell like hotcakes. I personallly would buy 3 - 4 and I'm sure there will be some people in the states (because they have money over there :laugh:) who will buy about 30 cars.

But if worse comes to worst, I'll be willing to buy parts off BL for at least another 2 cars. Did anyone consider LDD?

How wide is de loc itself? I would like to put a 12v motor under the tender. But it the loc itself is 8 wide, it would be a problem to the other trains when those passes by.

At least in the U.S., that is exactly what they are doing.

Emerald Night = $100

Power Functions accessory pack for trains = $100

Emerald Night Collection (Emerald Night + Power Functions kit + Flexible Track) = $220

Admittedly there really isn't a "package deal" in the $220 package.

The Flexible Tracks are NOT included in the $100 PF Accessory Pack!!

So as long the track box separately costs $20 or less, the Emerald Night Collection remains a "good" deal. :classic:

How wide is de loc itself? I would like to put a 12v motor under the tender. But it the loc itself is 8 wide, it would be a problem to the other trains when those passes by.

The boiler itself is 6-wide and when you add up those smoke deflectors you probably get to even wider than eight studs. And its even wider on the wheel level, because there are double ful width technic beams on each side (+standard whee gauge which is around 6-wide), so we come close to 10 stud wide. Its realy too "fat", especially if you compare it to some other, sleeker user MOC-s, which have 4 or 5 wide boiler and half width beams on wheels.

So, we have to start thinking about at least 8-wide and 34-40 long cars for this train to look OK.

So as long the track box separately costs $20 or less, the Emerald Night Collection remains a "good" deal. :classic:

A 220€ train with just some stupid looking "flexible" track, one car and without any switches? It seem that LEGO is realy aiming this at "hard" fans, who will be ready to pay such a price.

Last year 170€ bought you RC cargo train with nice engine (although it's far from emerald night) ,4 cars, a platform, RC controller, full circle of tracks and 2 switches.

Edited by Cwetqo

Have we decided if it has Big Ben wheels as suggested earlier? Or is it official LEGO wheels?

They are official LEGO wheels, because they have a counterweight opposite the Technic-pin holes, and Big Ben Bricks do not.

Didn't Ben hint about some sort of talks with Lego though, in his interview in Railbricks? I hope they've at least worked things out so that his wheel concept isn't stolen out from under him without any acknowledgment. BBB still offers multiple colors, but still... I'm afraid the introduction of black official wheels will take a bite out of his business.

Have we decided if it has Big Ben wheels as suggested earlier? Or is it official LEGO wheels?

I believe it has been established that they're not Big Ben wheels. Anyhow they do not look like big Ben Wheels to me.

It's very angry to see 235.99€ in France ! :angry:

I'm at 20km of Luxembourg and the train cost 214.99€ ! :angry: :angry: .

I didn't like the Emerald train when I saw the Pictures from chechia. But I like these pictures and video with Pierre and Jamie. The flex tracks might look ugly attached to each other but don't forget you can simply add one or two pieces in between the 9v track and your train would still be able to run over it! It would make a world of difference in train layouts.

Oh the flexibility!

About the price: This is were we sperate the men from the boys. Lego has always said that the PF systme would be for adult fans and not for children. It is more logical that it is more expensive! The market is much smaller. They did all we asked of them and still people whine :hmpf:

8878 RECHAREABLE BATTERY BOX (Without the transformer to be able to recharge it) £42.09!!!

What's it made of, does it come with a lifetime warranty?

*oh2*