n'henk pas

The disney deal, implications to the pirate theme?

Hey guys, after a few years of absence, (i watched eurobricks a few times a year) i thought it was time for me to walk out of the shadow...

I just read the post about the disney deal, and something amazing popped up in my mind, and i though: let's share it with the lego-pirate lovers!

I remember a few years ago there was a discussion going on about the rights of the movieseries: 'pirates of the caribean'.

I'm amazed none of you guys jumped up when you read about the disney deal, because (drums playing) the rights are property of disney, so... this means that lego is one step closer to creating the black pearl and isla de muerta etc. etc.

Let me know what you guys think, it was a hot issue a few years ago, and perhaps that's what can kill this brilliant idea (the series have ended last year unforrunately)...

---Regret is useless in life, it's in the past (Marlon Brando)

Actually, the series hasn't ended. Pirates of the Caribbean 4 is in the works. As far as I know all the cast member are on board again so there could be a shot for LEGO to do something with that franchise since it looks like LEGO got the Disney license over MEGA. I think that only time will tell, though. It could be a gradual process since LEGO has already produced their own new pirate line. I think that if LEGO was to do a PotC theme then they would try to integrate it into their own pirate line as opposed to making a separate line. Of course LEGO could also make it a separate line like they have done with the various space themes (Mars Mission, Life on Mars, Space Police III) and the Star Wars franchise.

Like I said, only time will tell. I don't see myself buying PotC sets unless there are some spectacular minifigs to be had.

I think they steer away from movies with a PG-13 rating, but if Prince of Persia is based on the video game, I can't see that being PG...

Hinckley, what about Indy 4, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire/Order of Pheonix, and Revenge of the Sith? I can see them doing PoC.

Honestly, if TLC made sets based on POTC in the future, I wouldn't be suprised. It would be a logical step foward after a couple years of their non-licensed pirate line, and the kits would undoubtedly sell like hotcakes. And honestly, I think I'd enjoy a Pirates of the Carribean line a lot. :pir-wink:

Hinckley, what about Indy 4, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire/Order of Pheonix, and Revenge of the Sith? I can see them doing PoC.

Don't forget Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and the first two Spiderman movies. I think TLC's policy is just to refrain from making kits based on really violent movies, which is why we never saw kits based off of The Dark Knight. But making sets based off of PG-13 movies has never been totally out of the question. :pir-wink:

Remember the Pirates of the Caribbean license isn't cheap. Spiderman and Indy didn't cost that much because it was not that popular like Pirates of the Caribbean.

But I still hope TLC will release Pirate of the Caribbean sets though! :pir-blush:

I might buy parts of Potc sets, like the soldiers and ships, which could be really nice.

I am also thinking of Sinbad, who also had a ship and there are many examples. Hell, we could even have a theme around Neptunus against the Naga or something?

Personally, I like it just how it is though.

I personally hope to just see this line continue for a long time. I'm just not a fan of the fantasy aspect of PotC, and I really didn't enjoy the movie.

What's nice about non-licensed themes is that the designers don't have to stick to movie locations and vehicles. We'll never see a second version of the Armada if we get PotC sets.

I personally hope to just see this line continue for a long time.

Me too because I want Blue Coats...

I think that we are penniless if a PotC line comes it to play... :pir-laugh:

I'm just not a fan of the fantasy aspect of PotC, and I really didn't enjoy the movie.

PotC 1 - 2 where nice but in the third they where stepping over the line for me.

What's nice about non-licensed themes is that the designers don't have to stick to movie locations and vehicles.

That's true.

We'll never see a second version of the Armada if we get PotC sets.

Maybe they never do a MK2 of the Armada and they do a MK2 of the Caribbean Clipper... :pir-wink:

What's nice about non-licensed themes is that the designers don't have to stick to movie locations and vehicles. We'll never see a second version of the Armada if we get PotC sets.

And the fact that they don't cost $10 more per set :pir-tongue:

Actually, the series hasn't ended. Pirates of the Caribbean 4 is in the works. As far as I know all the cast member are on board again...

Last I heard was that POTC 4 was going to be a real departure from the first trilogy. From what I understand, none of the characters other than Jack Sparrow will be a part of the new series, and Jack Sparrow will be played by none other than...Zac Efron! :pir-skull: AHHHHHHHHHH!!! I hope to God that I'm wrong!

But honestly, I enjoyed the POTC films, but if it does take such a turn for the worse with such terrible casting, I don't think I could stomach POTC sets. Besides, we finaly have more Pirate sets, so why should we want POTC sets? Surely original stories are better?

But I still hope TLC will release Pirate of the Caribbean sets though! :pir-blush:

That would be horrible! All Pirates of the Caribbean are horrible movies! I can't stand them!

That would be horrible! All Pirates of the Caribbean are horrible movies! I can't stand them!

I totally disagree with you about that. :pir-grin:

The Pirates of the Caribbean movies are the best movies I've ever seen. The last one was a bit over done but movie 1 and 2 are just :pir-wub:

Just my opninion. :pir-blush:

Everyone has different taste of movies. For example: I totally don't like Stat Wars. :pir-sick: But many people do!

Zac Efron! :pir-skull: AHHHHHHHHHH!!!

:pir-sick::pir_bawling::pir-sick:

My life just ended. That was like reading Lego has been bought out by MEGA.

last I had seen Depp was all for doing another movie. It was Miss Knightly and Mr Bloom that where not in for another one. Personally I think moving away from those two could really open it up for better scripting.

So in short yes I believe it could be coming down the line.

I hope they don't introduce any Lego POTC sets and if they do, I do wish that they can keep the two Pirate lines running seperately (the normal Lego Pirates and POTC), but I doubt that they would do such a thing...

The reason that I can't stand seeing POTC Lego sets is mainly for not being a fan of the fantasy aspect seen in POTC.

hopefully, if Lego DOES do a POTC line, the skins will be the traditional yellow so it will fit with the other pirate minifigs.

and i hope that since the next movie has to do with the Fountain of Youth (in La Florida), they will bring in the spanish, GO IMPERIAL ARMADA! the spaniards also play a role in the original ride POTC, which is shown more obviously in the Disneyland Paris (DLRP) version of the ride.

yep, I'm a high Disney fan, researcher, and expert

hopefully, if Lego DOES do a POTC line, the skins will be the traditional yellow so it will fit with the other pirate minifigs.

If a PotC line comes out... I think it will be with fleshies and fall under Licensed set like Indiana Jones, Batman, etc.

A Pirates of the Caribbean line would make me as insanely giddy as the Indy line does. I love, love, love the first Pirates film. Minifig Jack Sparrow would be utterly brilliant.

As for interfering with the new LEGO Pirates line... If TLC releases the Disney set under one DISNEY line banner, they can get away with only making, like, three or four PotC sets. The tone of the films is - in my view - vastly different from that of the current LEGO Pirates line, so it should not be a problem.

But eh. I think LEGO PotC is too much to hope for. If it gets real, I'll be the first to celebrate wildly. But... I don't see it happen.

You know, if you look at TLC's hottest selling sets right now, 14 of the top 25 are all Star Wars sets. Lego snagging the Disney deal is great bid to guarantee that they continue to have sets that sell as well as the SW sets. There's so many different sets that can be made off of Disney stories. How badass would a Buzz Lightyear minifig be? I think it'd be pretty badass.

When it comes to Lego PotC, I think we're more likely to see ride themed sets. With the remodeling they did on the PotC ride, a Jack Sparrow minifig is very likely, but I doubt we'll see a whole line of sets based on the movies. When it comes to movies that get turned into sets, I think we're more likely to see Disney staples released as sets. (Snow White, Donald Duck, Cinderella and the like) even then, they're probably going to release these sets to coincide with these movies being brought out of the Disney vault. (eg. Beauty and the Beast is being brought out of the vault in October 2010. I would expect BatB Lego sets to be released at the same time)

Sorry guys but the pirates od the carribean is under Megablocks, I know as I got one for my cousin since he has the other similar ship... :pir-skull:

Now if TLG did get the license on the movies it might actually be an ok line. I bet they will be fleshies too :pir-sceptic:

What I was hoping for was for them to get the license for the POTC ride at Disneyland. Which may come if the license for the three lines goes good.

pr0visorak - Yes, Megabloks did have the PotC licence. I have some sets as well (bloodybricksthatdon'tfittogetherbutohhowgoodlittlejohnnylooks!). The thing about this recent news is: TLC now has the Disney licence. Which if I understand correctly, means everything and anything that Disney does. So, technically, ranging from Snow White to Prince of Persia to, say, High School Musical. And PotC. Possibly. Hopefully. Please? :pir-cry_happy: