Sign in to follow this  
Captain Zuloo

Grandeur

Note: Update 1 is in post #8.

Note: Update 2 is in post #23

Note: Update 3 is in post #33

Hello,

It seems to be a very long time since I posted a MOC on Classic-Pirates.com, so I thought I'd share a WIP. This, as you can tell from the title, is the Grandeur.

So without further ado, I present her to you. First, a shot of the entire ship so far:

grandeur03.jpg

The bull figure head on the bow:

grandeur02.jpg

grandeur04.jpg

And, thanks to Cap'n Blackmoor for reminding me, the stern:

grandeur05.jpg

And finally, myself and Zorro discussing the shortage of rum in the shipyard supplies to complete her:

grandeur01.jpg

I have a while before I need her complete, 5 months in fact, so I should be able to get some more done before then. :pir-tongue:

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Captain Zuloo

Edited by Captain Zuloo

This is looking quite good Captain Zuloo. The line of the ship looks fine and the position of the masts is correct.

Only there's an error in the title of the thread as this is a Gun-brig or Cutter but not a ship-of-the-line. Find all about it here.

Only there's an error in the title of the thread as this is a Gun-brig or Cutter but not a ship-of-the-line. Find all about it here.

Thanks for your kind words Bonaparte.

And it looks as though you are quite right about my ship's class. If you have any spare time and could change the title, that would be great.

Thanks again. :pir-classic:

I think this is quite nice so far. I like the colour sheme. The figurehead is nice too but I don't like the red colours in the figurehead. The red colour in the rest of the ship looks great though. Do you have any pictures of the stern? :pir-blush:

Great work so far! :thumbup:

Do you have any pictures of the stern? :pir-blush:

Great work so far! :thumbup:

Thanks Cap'n! I'm glad you like my work. :pir-blush:

And it appears that I had completly forgotten my picture of the stern. Anyway, no matter - it's up now.

Great ship Zuloo! Very good details. We'll make an article for this when its finished........that's only 5 months from now....... :pir-grin:

Thanks Cap'n! I'm glad you like my work. :pir-blush:

And it appears that I had completly forgotten my picture of the stern. Anyway, no matter - it's up now.

The stern is very nice and full of decorations, which I like! The little flowers are a very nice addition, the red trim too. :thumbup:

It looks pretty nice. That was very creative when you added the flowers "peddles" to the back of the ship.

And you added a rowboat, so many people who build ship MOCs forget to add them.

so :thumbup: sup

Edited by Broadside

And you added a rowboat, so many people who build ship MOCs forget to added them.

I think I will redo the boat stand, as at the moment the rowboat is just on a couple of bricks. But I will keep the row boat.

Thanks for your nice words.

Update

I have added a bowsprit, the helm and masts. I'm not too happy with the masts, but then again, I'm not the one who has to sail the ship. So I rounded up a crew to tell me how she handles so far...

An overall shot so far. On board are myself, Zorro, Mister Phes at the helm, Captain green hair with a black hat, Mr Tiber on a walk around the deck, SlyOwl and Davy_Blocks:

grandeur101.jpg

It appears that Davy and SlyOwl have had a misunderstanding of some sorts... You can also see the helm and the railing behind it, as well as, between CGH's big head and Mister Tiber, the ships' bell.

Let me know what you think.

grandeur102.jpg

Edited by Captain Zuloo

Looks good Zuloo. The curve of the hull is done nicely, and the color scheme is nice.. One thing I see that can improve is the angle of the stern. The construction and ornaments are nice but if you where to angle it out a bit, the ship would look better... As is its too blocky. OH and the mast look fine. They seem to be positioned correctly, however I would remove the bottom yard arms since ships did not have them that low.

Cheers

HMS243

Edited by HMS243

You need to get a large swimming pool in the backyard...

Well when the ship sinks, I'll blame you - your sigfig is at the helm at the moment...

Looks good Zuloo. The curve of the hull is done nicely, and the color scheme is nice.. One thing I see that can improve is the angle of the stern. The construction and ornaments are nice but if you where to angle it out a bit, the ship would look better... As is its too blocky. Oh and the mast look fine. They seem to be positioned correctly, however I would remove the bottom yard arms since ships did not have them that low.

Cheers

HMS243

Thank you HMS.

As far as the stern is concerned, I tried to put it on hinge bricks when intially buiding the hull, however I couldn't get it to work. But I will revisit that.

And for the yardarms, it all depends on if I decide to make sails for her. I probably will though, as she will be at a public exhibition eventually.

It looks so much better with the mast poles, now for the sails :pir-grin:

We'll see...

Looks very good Zuloo, now you will really be a Captain! I'm not a MOC expert but I do like the choice of colours.

So far, so good! And hey, you used my minifig! Thanks :pir_laugh2: .

That looks quite good Zuloo! :thumbup:

I see some possible improvement on the headrails though.

Now they sit on top of the bow, whilst they should stick out a bit with a small deck on it, you can see this here:

headrails.jpg

Good luck with her!

ooH thats a good ship, And look! everyones minifigs are there kinda leaves me left out :pir-cry_sad: oh well

great ship! :pir_laugh2:

Why do everyone's sigfigs have to have yellow epaulettes? I don't have enough!!! :pir_laugh2: Anyway, I'll see what I can come up with for the next round of shots.

I like the front of the ship,... because something else is used then the traditional mini figurine. Not that I don't like the use of the mini figure but if someone breaks through the stereotype then it deserves for me a "+ point".

Lemme guess, I'm being tortured below deck? :pir-tongue:

I like it! I really look forward to seeing the finished product!

Keep it up! :thumbup:

Why do everyone's sigfigs have to have yellow epaulettes? I don't have enough!!! :pir_laugh2: Anyway, I'll see what I can come up with for the next round of shots.

He he, you could just give me red ones if its too much. But I am a general :pir_laugh2:

Oh yeah the masts are good! :pir-classic:

Lemme guess, I'm being tortured below deck? :pir-tongue:

I like it! I really look forward to seeing the finished product!

Keep it up! :thumbup:

No, you are probably at the rum supply though. Honestly, you can't leave Wouwie alone for 2 seconds!

He he, you could just give me red ones if its too much. But I am a general :pir_laugh2:

Oh yeah the masts are good! :pir-classic:

Well, I was planning to invite some friends over for a launching party. :pir_laugh2:

Update

I have completly rebuilt her. There is no deadline as the stupid organisers of Malkara Model Railway show cut our layout from the expo this ship was going to be in. So after a talk with Admiral Béjaune on Skype, I decided to redesign her in full. So I now present to you (thanks to Béjaune Shipwright Society, version 2 of the Grandeur.

v2-angle.jpg

v2-front.jpg

v2-side.jpg

Let me know what you think. :pir-wink:

Nice tumblehome and figurehead! I only wonder how you are going to make the stern on it, could be a little hard when you make the gundeck so low. well, good luck on it!