On a scale of 1 to 5  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Hi all againl! As promised, (sorry a little late, been busy) here is the review of another classic 6335 Indy Car Carrier! But frankly, i enjoyed doing the review for 6436 better.. but this set is not bad too! Hope you guys enjoy!

1. Lego Set Number / Name :

6335 Indy Car Carrier From 1996 !

1.jpg

A Little preview picture of the set, that actually tempted me to but it! It functions really well!

19.jpg

Back Box Art Showing the MOCs possible with this set. Kinda miss this function that is always in the classic sets but gone were the days...

20.jpg

2. Where you got/bought it from

Some major shopping centre in Singapore i think, Sorry cant remember... bought back in 1996

3. Offical Retail Price

Sorry, back then in 1996. Think it was something like SGD$60++ Got a big scolding from MUM then...

4. No of Minifigs (if any),

Three

DSCN0604.jpg

One dude with Octan Blue Torso and blue peak cap/ blue helmet with stars

One dude with Octan Red Torso and red peak cap/ red helmet with stars

One dude with Octan White Torso and white peak cap/ helmet with strips

PLENTLY OF ACCESSORIES !!

5. Your "building" experience - which you can do a step by step to show it with photos

First Up: King Cab Locomotive truck!

The Chassis of the truck. Similar ??

DSCN0607.jpg

Almost indentical building as 6348 and 6346 except the fuel tanks and the chrome pipes!

DSCN0609.jpg

DOORS!! Yeh !!

DSCN0612.jpg

Blue Dude: We get a door ! Yeh !

White Dude: Can i fix the tyre please? Can i? Can i?

Red Dude: Not that Dumb Dumb....

Completed ! The similar king cab with chrome pipes!

DSCN0614.jpg

A little Comparison all together! Yes, 6335 is missing the grill and the classic 'cups' exhaust pipe.

DSCN0616.jpg

Rear Comparison! Yes, the chrome pipes and a special box to put the lights in!

DSCN0618.jpg

On to the Trailer next, the highlight of the set!! The moving mechanism and the functionability just works out really fine!

The chassis of the trailer! Long and wide!

DSCN0619.jpg

The minifig tools included in this set (6 of them!) sure helps!

DSCN0620.jpg

The return of SAW... hahaha SAW 5 ! Drill his head!! HHEELLPPP!!! OKOK.. Sorry getting gross.. got carried away ~

DSCN0622.jpg

The extra special and long grill pieces of the set! This acts as the ramp for the Indy cars (Built later) to get onto and off the trailer! It has a neat hiding place!

DSCN0624.jpg

This thing works great as a Gym Machine!!

DSCN0625.jpg

Blue Dude: 998, 999, 1000! 1001 ... *pant pant*

White Dude: My turn!

The really bad thing about this set... The OCTAN sticker goes over ALOT of bricks...

DSCN0627.jpg

The Door for the 'Box' ! Neat compartment to store the tools, trolley and jack!

DSCN0629.jpg

Hugh compartment space!!

DSCN0630.jpg

Fix the box up onto the trailer! The training on the 'Gym machine' helped out after all~

DSCN0632.jpg

The second deck of the carrier !

DSCN0635.jpg

DSCN0636.jpg

Red Dude: Almost done now...

White Dude: WWEEE!! The door is fun!

Blue Dude: Quit clowning around....

Finished product! Great looking trailer with full functions and even included two fire extingushiers for that heated F1 Fomula race!

DSCN0637.jpg

DSCN0640.jpg

Trailer and Truck! Looks Great! Huge compartment space!

Next up, the Indy cars! There are three cars in this set, Yellow, Blue and Green. They are indentical in building except for the colors, so i'll feature one color (Yellow) here:

DSCN0642.jpg

The chassis of the cars. The former chassis for building cars are very very versatile and i love them alot! They can act as a base for nearly every car and van!

DSCN0643.jpg

Love those tyres! Look really like Indy car tyres!

DSCN0645.jpg

Some simple yet effective building goes into the indy cars..

DSCN0646.jpg

Good thing is there are printed parts with numbers and different designs! GREAT!! (Sorry for the water. Just fished the pieces out after washing them in water)

DSCN0647.jpg

Completed Indy Car !

Red Dude: Bye !!!

Others: Wait for us!!!

DSCN0648.jpg

Three Indy Cars with different colors!

DSCN0650.jpg

Loading in progress...

DSCN0651.jpg

See the magnificent use of the red grill pieces as ramps!!

DSCN0654.jpg

Completed set! Up and away to the race track!

DSCN0655.jpg

Rear view of the Carrier~

6. Your overall rating based on fun, playable, value for $$$, part, minifigs, etc (on a scale of 0-10 where 10 is SUPER-DUPER-SET!)

Pieces vs Cost: 8/10!

Can't really remember the price i bought it at.. But for 385 pieces at about SGD$60++, should be great! Though one more minifig as the truck driver would be great!! The poor blue dude has to drive a long truck to the race track and race in his blue Indy Car, he probably won't win...

Playability: 10/10 !

This set Functions great and plays great! I remembered i used to play with this set quite alot when i was younger! The up and down loading of the cars onto and off the truck is really cool and fun! Bring down the Indy Cars and create a race ! Pack up, load the indy cars and go to your next race!

Design: 10/10!

The Indy Cars look great with their different colors! The great basics of the trailer and the upward and downward motion truely imitates the actual car carriers! Huge compartment space to hold all the many wonderful accessories!

Overall: 8/10 !

Great Set! Found not much to complain about, only the sticker that goes over ALOT of bricks and one more minifig will be great and this set will get that prefect 10! Nonetheless, it's a true classic and beautiful set!

Conclusion:

Buy this set if you come across it! It looks great, it plays great and it displays great!!

7. Your name as the reviewer.

Sammy Oh

Hope you guys like it ! All commends Welcomed! Commends, be it good or bad, keeps me going and improving! Thanks!

Edited by WhiteFang
Poll added and title modify slightly.

Legofan, thanks for doing another nice review. I will drop more of mine comments later. Oh, I have fixed the other two duplicate topics. Please be careful and not to click too many times. Thanks. :classic:

Thank you so much bro WhiteFang! Sorry, i screwed up... Was working on a proposal at the same time... Got distracted. Thank you again! :thumbup:

This is one of my favorite town sets. There is a lot of stuff packed into the trailer, and the cars look great. Those cars were fairly advanced for their time. The 1996 race theme was the first time we got a theme-wide lineup of cars significantly larger than the old go-kart designs.

As a kid, I also liked that stack of tires that appears in one of the alternate model pictures.

I love this set! i had it along with 6348 and 6346, and this was my favorite. do you have the Surveillance Squad legofan? that would be a great review to compliment your other 2. i actually have rebuilt all of them in prepreation for a truck stop moc. just seemed like the thing to do at the time. also the tools that come with it, are they still around in new sets? i feel like i haven't seen them in a loooooong time.

nice review! ive always wanted this set but for some reason never wound up with it. i need it. i have the four other similar trucks to this set: shuttle launching crew, victory cup racers, surveillance squad, and rescue rig. good old days of lego

...do you have the Surveillance Squad legofan? that would be a great review to compliment your other 2.

Ditto. A review of that set would be just as awesome as this one and the last one. Honestly, I find the reviews entertaining to read, as they have a personal touch to them (the figs building the set, for instance), a style I think would work well with the surveilance squad.

Thanks for another great review. Every time you post one of these I groan, since you keep showing these great sets from my Dark Ages. I really like the truck. It is a great hauler, and has so many hidden compartments.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks a bunch for the review. I remember wanting this set badly back in '96, but I was just a young'un then; I probably would not have treated it with the respect it deserves. :cry_sad:

Do you have any other Town racers sets, like the 6546 Slick Racer? I would love to see a review of that one. Please?

Again, your review format was very entertaining and you took skillful pictures, great work.

Very good interesting reviewing approach. I love this set very much, especially ever since I seen your review. It's one of the late 1990s set that still manage to capture and retain the classic elements such as those printed tiles numbers. I miss those mini race cars as well. More importantly, that awesome car transporter are able to place all 3 of them at one go and the trailer is made by bricks only. Thanks for sharing with us once again, and I hope you could share more of such reviews in the future.

I am not sure whether if you are aware of this, but please take a look at here. :wink:

Oh, I have added a poll for you as well. :sweet:

:thumbup: the best set of 1996!! i love it i would give it 11/10 but your mark is fair...

Do you have any other Town racers sets, like the 6546 Slick Racer? I would love to see a review of that one. Please?

Voltio, did you take a look at our Reviews index which is one of our pinned topics? :classic:

There is one right there. Enjoy! :wink:

Great review! I remember seeing this set in the catalog and drooling over it when i was a kid. Never got it though. Can't remember why either. This was defenatly one of, if not the best set of 96'. Thanks for taking me back!

I want this set too oneday. Only I change the colors. Octan is forbidden in my town :tongue: and it will be changed in shell or in exxon colors. But the design of this set is outstanding.

I am not sure whether if you are aware of this, but please take a look at here. :wink:

Oh, I have added a poll for you as well. :sweet:

Wow! I'm really honoured! :wub: Thank you very much! Really feel honoured and great scene of pride when i see my review posted up together with all the wonderful and magnificient reviews by all the great brothers out there! :wub:

Thank you so much for all the commends! They really pep me up! Though i've been quite busy lately, but i'll be working on the classic Surveillance Squad and hope to complete it asap to share ~ Yap the tools are still around and they havent changed since... i believe the last time i saw them in a new set should be the town plan 10184. :thumbup:

Seems like i have been banned from spending any more on Lego this year as i need to save and go for my wedding photo-shoot and honeymoon... :cry_sad: Could start doing reviews as i can take the sets apart and build them again to statisfy my building crave ! :tongue:

One of the best sets ever! I obviously voted "Outstanding". I wish I could buy one MISB without having to sell a kidney.

I never understood how could Lego fall from this to those <insert that tiresome argument> 1997 city sets.

My apologies for bumping a month-old thread, but I was just browsing the review index when I found a link to this and the nostalgia hit me like a sack of bricks. I used to love playing with this set so much! Perhaps I should buy the parts for another, since a MIB one would cost a fortune. Oh, childhood. Amazing set, voted highest possible.

Ah the memories, this is one of my favorite City sets of all time and was the perfect set for display. I miss the classic race sets and hope LEGO will bring the style back to the City theme, not to keen on the Ferrari sets we've had lately. Great review legofan! :thumbup:

This is the first time I see this set :classic:

First of all, thanks for your GREAT review! The idea of showing minifigs building the set is always hilarious.

I must say that "sport" or "racing" LEGO subthemes have never ever caught my interest. And furthermore nowadays I'm a big fan of 6-stud wide trucks, and I'm never going back. Nevertheless this set really deserves a TOP grade. The amount of details is high, comes with nicely unique minifigs and parts, many accessories and is highly playable thanks to various moving mechanisms.

The only 2 (minor) critiques I have with the set are that the 3 cars are identical (except for the colours) while a bit of variety would have been nicer, and that when in "up" position the trailer doesn't look very realistic (it looks like a real trailer would collapse without any support).

But I still vote 5/5 :thumbup:

Thank you so much guys! Very glad you guys liked it! Yap, it was one of my most treasured sets, even up till now...

Sorry got kinda tied up and still havent found the time to do up the Police Surveilance Truck as promised... But will work on it real soon ~

Thanks again guys!

Thanks for the review. This is a set that has been on my wanted list ever since it came out, and I never found it in my area. I know someday I will own it via eBay or Bricklink. Can't Wait!

I adore pretty much all of the '96 town sets, but this one is my Holy Grail. I lusted after this set with the furious passion of a thousand suns when I was little, but I never got it.

First off let me say that this is a great review! I really did enjoy this review.

But I think the set is pretty poor. I really think 1996 was the start of the decline for Lego.

Reasons why I am not a fan of this set:

-It is a little too large for classic town scale and a little too small for modern scale. It just doesn't fit in either era. The 1996 indy cars are bigger than most trucks in classic town and nearing the size of some boats! They would fit better (size-wise) in the modern scale, but then they would stick out for being too blocky.

-The six wide trailer makes a 4/5 wide cab look rather dwarfed IMO. 6348 suffers from this too.

-The chrome smokestacks and slopes for gas tanks are <insert that tiresome argument> to an extent, and represents the beginning of the move to town jr.

I guess in the end all these are rather trivial flaws, but for some reason I really don't like this set. Despite that I for some reason have two of them.

6331 was the best set to come out of 1996 IMO.