LuxorV

TUTORIAL: How to print decals

EDIT: I got these questions answered in an e-mail today. However, I'd still love it if someone that knew their stuff here would take a look at what I've done and give me some feedback. I really want this project to turn out great without too much trial and error and I'm dying to get past the bulk of the learning curve.

Here I go reviving an old thread again. :blush: I have designed my first torso, back and legs but have a few questions that I need answered before I can turn it into a decal. A couple of these have more to do with design/printing preparation than printing but as they don't appear to fit neatly in any of the other topics, I'd rather revive just one thread.

First of all, when I use CMYK values from the Color Chart , I get a completely different shade than what I'm after on my computer. Could this be because of the program I'm using (GIMP) or will it print out correctly regardless of what my screen shows? Second, should my lines blend into the adjacent colors through color gradients? They do at the moment and it appears to help smooth them out but I'm worried this might be a problem with lines that border transparent areas. They blend into transparent with grey gradients but once the decal is applied the lines will be next to the color of the lego piece (sorry if that is confusing). Also, for printing on a professional quality printer I read on an old MCN how-to that I should have my design separated into three layers; one for the white undercoat, one for metallics, and one for CMYK colors. Is there a way to extract these parts from a design into different files? Sorry if any of these questions are out of place here or just dumb and thanks to anyone who offers the least bit of help. I'd be happy to e-mail a copy of the image to anyone if it will help.

Edited by Str0ngbad

I hate for one of my first posts to be thread necro, but I'm having some similar problems.

I'm taking a different approach to decals and I'm printing white label paper. Essentially, I'm making stickers. My problem is that the blacks aren't dark enough, even when I change the color levels to print in flat black (RGB: 000000). Likewise, the colors just aren't matching up to the color charts I've found on the forums. The reds are similarly too light, and the yellow ends up coming out more like a yellow/orange.

I'm using an HP Officejet 6600, if that helps. Is there any way I can adjust or calibrate the settings to make it print closer to the right colors?

Thanks in advance!

I hate for one of my first posts to be thread necro, but I'm having some similar problems.

I'm taking a different approach to decals and I'm printing white label paper. Essentially, I'm making stickers. My problem is that the blacks aren't dark enough, even when I change the color levels to print in flat black (RGB: 000000). Likewise, the colors just aren't matching up to the color charts I've found on the forums. The reds are similarly too light, and the yellow ends up coming out more like a yellow/orange.

I'm using an HP Officejet 6600, if that helps. Is there any way I can adjust or calibrate the settings to make it print closer to the right colors?

Thanks in advance!

I reckon its something to do with your paper not your printer. When I tried printing decals onto a sticker paper, they came out slightly lighter / faded. Problem disappeared once I switched to waterslide decal paper. Try printing on regular paper, if the colors come out right you'll know its not your printer. Unfortunately your printer is probably already printing the "blackest" it can.

Okay, after a lot of trial and error learning in a few graphics program I have finally finished designing my first decal! :laugh: But now I find that I can't print it where I thought I could. :wacko: Does anyone know of a place to go to have these printed with white base coats and metallics? It seems MCN used to offer a service like this but it doesn't look like it's still active. I've been working on this for nearly a month and now I'm stuck at the end. Please help.

This is outdated is there a program other then ms word i can use since its now 147 bucks instead of being free

Open Office and Google Drive should both work and are both free.

i tried google drive/docs seems like u can only resize by dragging. but i will try open office and let u know how it works

i tried google drive/docs seems like u can only resize by dragging. but i will try open office and let u know how it works

I just tried Open office. It worked awesomely. My print kept it's look down to the last Pixel and was at the right size. Now I just need to get Decal Paper, clear coat and a few blank heads and torsos and I can make my Minifigures. Must say thank you to the OP for giving out the measures and all for us.

works like a charm

I just tried Open office. It worked awesomely. My print kept it's look down to the last Pixel and was at the right size. Now I just need to get Decal Paper, clear coat and a few blank heads and torsos and I can make my Minifigures. Must say thank you to the OP for giving out the measures and all for us.

if u have a lazer printer u can save money and use this method http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=91225 i use that one and it works amazingly they dont sell decal paper any where near me and i hardly get a chance to buy some out of town

Edited by pittpenguin123

works like a charm

if u have a lazer printer u can save money and use this method http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=91225 i use that one and it works amazingly they dont sell decal paper any where near me and i hardly get a chance to buy some out of town

I saw your methods there. That works well for a sticker look. :wink: The Octan logo is nicely done and looks true to the era. But I do not have a Laser printer. :sceptic: Too costly to invest in one at the moment. May get one at some point. Getting the paper isn't my problem I live about 20 min away from a Hobby Lobby and I can order em off of the Testor's Website if I can't get there. :sweet: My problem is current funds. :laugh: Stupid fixed incomes only allow so much frivolous purchases.

I saw your methods there. That works well for a sticker look. :wink: The Octan logo is nicely done and looks true to the era. But I do not have a Laser printer. :sceptic: Too costly to invest in one at the moment. May get one at some point. Getting the paper isn't my problem I live about 20 min away from a Hobby Lobby and I can order em off of the Testor's Website if I can't get there. :sweet: My problem is current funds. :laugh: Stupid fixed incomes only allow so much frivolous purchases.

yah they are expensive, and a pain to set up. only problem is u cant use white in your decals. and i think i speak for most of of when i say any one who buys lego has funds problems :sceptic:

I've tried to search but I havn't been able to find the print size of pauldrons, the following pauldron decals found in the Star wars decal index is the ones I would like to print:

http://www.eurobrick...32401066594.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/luxorv/Customs/Decals/EBDecalsIndexes/26072012/4325831327_3a21fc1dcc_o_clonekiller.png

Edited by Vegard

I must admit I do not know, nor have a chance to take measurements at this time, but I found this sizes: 2.2x2.51 cm.

You could try and adjust from there. :classic:

Help ! Lol can any one please be able to tell me what the measurements of Legs ( with out the feet ) are ? 

I did click on the link above but its down :( 

Many thanks 

11 hours ago, timecorridor said:

Help ! Lol can any one please be able to tell me what the measurements of Legs ( with out the feet ) are ? 

I did click on the link above but its down :( 

Many thanks 

Hope this helps

IMG_2601.jpgimage hosting free

thanks a ton luxor! i knew that there was some sort of system for getting the right sizes, thanks! just as an idea, maybe you can make a tutorial on how to custom design the decals? I always have trouble with that. I try to use a painting program on the pc so that i can print them out...

Hello, meepinater, I see you're enthusiastically exploring our forum and seem quite new to it. You'll find lots of useful info and tutorials on most of the topics you've been enquiring about in the Minifig Customisation Index, especialli the Tutorials and Resources section.

4 hours ago, LuxorV said:

Hello, meepinater, I see you're enthusiastically exploring our forum and seem quite new to it. You'll find lots of useful info and tutorials on most of the topics you've been enquiring about in the Minifig Customisation Index, especialli the Tutorials and Resources section.

thanks! i'll go check it out now. yeah, this forum is great, i can't get this info on decals from my friends at mocpages...

I used to print it at 3,72 cm (length) per 3,78 cm (height). Might need adjusting a bit on account of personal taste and actual design of the decal.