LuxorV

TUTORIAL: How to print decals

Hi,

I found this very helpful but at the beginning you said that you could use any kind of decal paper. Im guessing that after printing I just need to cut the decal out correct and stick it on? also is it necessary to have a laser printer?

THank you

Charlie

Hi chuckie8646 and welcome both to Eurobricks and the Minifig Customisation Workshop.

I do not have a laser printer, and I can still print decals at a fairly good quality level, so I do not think it is necessary. What you need is a reasonably good printer and some time to experiment with the settings to find the best combinations for high quality results.

Thank you Luxor V one more question where do you find your decal paper?

Thank you

Chuckie8646

Hi chuckie8646 and welcome both to Eurobricks and the Minifig Customisation Workshop.

I do not have a laser printer, and I can still print decals at a fairly good quality level, so I do not think it is necessary. What you need is a reasonably good printer and some time to experiment with the settings to find the best combinations for high quality results.

Thank you Luxor V one more question where do you find your decal paper?

Actually, I do not use decal paper (and have not been printing decals in some time now), but you can find some useful info in this discussion.

Can I ask a question. If I have Mac computer what do I have to use instead of Microsoft word??

Good question! I knew it was coming sooner or later :laugh:

Unfortunately, I never used a Mac, so I do not have direct experience. Nonetheless, it should work more or less the same with Apple uses as text composition program equivalent to MS Word: save the file, add it into the text document withouth changing the properties (or checking they match the sizes given in the first post, if needed) and print.

Of cousre, if any of our Mac using members can share more insights on this aspect, please, be our guests :classic:

Can I ask a question. If I have Mac computer what do I have to use instead of Microsoft word??

You can purchase MS Office for Mac. We did and it works just the same as for PCs in other aspects. It has Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Outlook I think. I have yet to try my hand at printing off decals though. That will come in the near future.

Thank You LuxorV, this is a great tutorial and will be quite useful. :classic:

(Daniel's dad is off to find some decals.....) :wink:

You can purchase MS Office for Mac. We did and it works just the same as for PCs in other aspects. It has Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Outlook I think. I have yet to try my hand at printing off decals though. That will come in the near future.

I know, I know.

I printed some decals in school xD

But that's not it. I need something for free.

Hello i cant seem to get the size right. for a photo i have. to do a torso decal.

here is the image

Who ya gonna call?!

is some one could size if for me to print out that will be great.

Hello i cant seem to get the size right. for a photo i have. to do a torso decal.

here is the image

Who ya gonna call?!

is some one could size if for me to print out that will be great.

Do you have Microsoft Office and or Microsoft Word?

i tryed inporting the image no problem. but trying to add the size is a problem. H. 13 , L. 15.5 as said in the tutorial. but i just dont get the two figures to stay. one will change as i chane the other.

1.422 cm Wide

1.201 cm Tall

Import into one of those and re-size to the size above.

any chance you could resize and save and email me. gpusey8871@aol.com.

so i can see where im going wrong............thanks gary

Ahh I see what your problem is, Under where you type in the size for re-sizing their are some check boxes, one says LOCK ASPECT RATIO, you want to uncheck that box. If you still need help PM me an MSN or AIM messenger handle.

I see this issue is in good hands with TLOR FETT.

I'd just like to remind one thing to corsasri: please write with proper capitalisation, as required in our Member Guidelines. Thank you. :classic:

Sorry about the capitaliation. spelling or english was never a good subject at school. And being dyslexic.

Ahh I see what your problem is, Under where you type in the size for re-sizing their are some check boxes, one says LOCK ASPECT RATIO, you want to uncheck that box. If you still need help PM me an MSN or AIM messenger handle.

Can you please send me the image i need via my email address. As still cant get the figures right. And cant p.m you from this forum yet.

You said 1.422 but i can only get 14.22.cm

The points are in the wrong place.

I have now unticked the aspect box. And the one i printed is a tad to long and a tad to narrow.

IMG_0622.jpg

Edited by corsasri

I sent an e-mail, Attached is a re-sized copy of the decal, do you have MSN or AIM, as it should not be too hard to get you on the right track?

I have a question.

Does someone has the measures for legprintings?

or is there a forum about legprinting?

and what are the measures for bicorne printings?

thanks

Edited by Lord Cutler Beckett

What is a bicorne hat ? If I have one I could use my digital calipers to measure it below is a link with Leg sizes and others

a bicorne hat is this:File:Bicorne_hat_Ecole_Polytechnique.jpg

for making decals could this one be better.

thanks for the legprinting measures

Edited by Lord Cutler Beckett

I measured a Bicorn that I had in my stash or child hood LEGOs.

Width 21.10 MM = 2.11 CM

Height (not counting the top curve) 9.55 MM = 0.955 CM

New question coming up from me! :classic:

Is water sliding decals a best way to apply them?

I ordered some of the paper for it on eBay, and just wanted to ask, can the boundaries of a decal be seen?

And how badly?

If anyone have done it, please post some results, really looking forward to see them.

Thank you!

New question coming up from me! :classic:

Is water sliding decals a best way to apply them?

I ordered some of the paper for it on eBay, and just wanted to ask, can the boundaries of a decal be seen?

And how badly?

If anyone have done it, please post some results, really looking forward to see them.

Thank you!

Go check out my thread/s with custom minifigures almost everything is done with water slide decals and generally No the borders are not an issue if your colors match and or your edges are close to the edge of the piece