Hinckley

TUTORIAL: Decal application

I've had very good experiences with expert's choice decal paper. I'm using an epson inkjet printer. Here are my steps:

1. print decal (use best photo quality setting and select glossy photo paper in the options menu)

2. Allow ink to dry and coat the decal paper with krylon clear coat. Wait for dry and re-coat again

3. When applying the decal, use cold water. Hot water ruins the decals and rubs the ink off

4. once decal is applied, gently press it with a soft tissue to get the excess water/air bubbles out

5. once the decal is dried, use a decal solution with a brush and brush over the edges to prevent curling

5. spray figure with krylon clear coat again.

These are the guys who make the decal paper:

http://www.bare-metal.com/Experts-Choice-Decal-Film.html

Question:

If the Lego piece already has things on it, can you spray paint it? (ie, white for a custom clone trooper)

Yes, but I would recommend using brasso to remove the print, or a very fine grit sandpaper (600 or higher).

Hinckley, that is really nice tutorial, you basicly told all the steps about the application, thanks a lot!

I have a question tho, anyone know a website who sells decal materials and sends international shipping?

Hinckley, that is really nice tutorial, you basicly told all the steps about the application, thanks a lot!

I have a question tho, anyone know a website who sells decal materials and sends international shipping?

Good question. I'm from Portugal and I'm having a little dificulty in finding decal paper for inkjet printers. Does any know of a brand that ships this way of Europe?

thank you

I order my materials from Crafty Computer Paper which do international shipping on most items. I think the items they don't ship are aerosols but as stated in the shipping terms there's an icon that will show up for items that aren't shipped internationally.

Inkjet Water-Slide Decal Paper

If you sign up to receive their 'crafty newsletter' before ordering I think you're eligible for a 20% discount on your order :wink:

For my Decals that were inkjet I used decal film from Bare-Metal Foil Company called Experts-Choice Decal. for Inkjet printers you must use a decal coating, I let my decals dry for 24 hours then use a product called Last Step Decal coating or you can use Microscale Liquid Decal film (both are spray type).

even if you use a clear coat spray say Krylon or other you need to do a fine mist from further back as if the decal gets wet with coating it will make the ink run and ruin your decal.

I now have an Laser printer and it solves a lot of that but if you don't have one then you have to add the top coat fixative. I made my own decals for years for model cars using an inkjet so it can be done very successfully.

I have also used it with Clear stickers as well again that using the coating to keep the inkjet print on. this was done using thin clear sticker: Sticker face

Very nice tutorial, easy to use and understand.

cool tutorial, really clear.

I'm about to take my first steps into this area, and I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to order decal solutions (softener and solvent) in the UK? Decal paper and spray clear coat seems ok - craftycomputer sells it and a couple of other places, but I can't find the solutions.

cool tutorial, really clear.

I'm about to take my first steps into this area, and I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to order decal solutions (softener and solvent) in the UK? Decal paper and spray clear coat seems ok - craftycomputer sells it and a couple of other places, but I can't find the solutions.

Maybe someone with more experience than me will say I'm wrong but I've never needed any softener or solvent. To apply the decal I coat the Lego with a thin layer of Pledge Klear this helps adhere the decal. If I need to soften the decal (which is not always necessary) I use vinegar (white wine or malt vinegar, whatever's in the cupboard) - you can soak the vinegar onto a cotton-bud and just press onto the decal or even immerse the decal in vinegar instead of water.

EDIT: BTW I don't actually immerse my decals in water anymore, I simply soak a piece of kitchen towel and press the decal (face-up) onto it for approx 10 seconds. Seems to do the trick and reduces the risk of your ink running.

Edited by Praiter Yed

Maybe someone with more experience than me will say I'm wrong but I've never needed any softener or solvent. To apply the decal I coat the Lego with a thin layer of Pledge Klear this helps adhere the decal. If I need to soften the decal (which is not always necessary) I use vinegar (white wine or malt vinegar, whatever's in the cupboard) - you can soak the vinegar onto a cotton-bud and just press onto the decal or even immerse the decal in vinegar instead of water.

EDIT: BTW I don't actually immerse my decals in water anymore, I simply soak a piece of kitchen towel and press the decal (face-up) onto it for approx 10 seconds. Seems to do the trick and reduces the risk of your ink running.

thanks

I've just bought some clear and white decal paper, and KEEN acrylic spray, from crafty computer paper. So I'll use that to seal in the decal after printing, and after application.

Curious about the klear though. I've heard of that being used with RC cars as a clear coat equivalent, but does it work as an adhesive too?

Can I follow this guide also using an inkjet printer?

Yes, this tutorial is about applying water slide decals which, is the same if your using a lazer or inkjet. I used an inkjet printer for quite a while. One big thing to note when using a inkjet is after printing your decal designs onto water slide decal paper use must take a clear sealant a spray the decal paper. Give the paper 3 coats allow 30min to dry between coat. If you do not do this very important step your decals will run when placed into water and will look awful. :sick: My choice in sealant would be this http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-Matte-Finish-Spray-Artists/dp/B000RMPT0C

Yes, this tutorial is about applying water slide decals which, is the same if your using a lazer or inkjet. I used an inkjet printer for quite a while. One big thing to note when using a inkjet is after printing your decal designs onto water slide decal paper use must take a clear sealant a spray the decal paper. Give the paper 3 coats allow 30min to dry between coat. If you do not do this very important step your decals will run when placed into water and will look awful. :sick: My choice in sealant would be this http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000RMPT0C

Ok thanks. Now I just have to buy everything you need! :sceptic:

Stuff

What printer do you use Hinckley? Lemmie guess, something really expensive? :P

One of the reasons I joined, was to propose gathering all the knowledge we have of custom minifig creation into a more useable/user friendly system, like a wiki or a tutorial are, except refined and updated to todays global world.

Divided into several sections in which we could just go one by one into each area of expertise and sourcing of materials we need, for example I live in Portugal same as from the post Aveal 12 posts above, and it's a pain to get certain stuff (Brasso is like gold around here, hard to find someone who ships it here at a reasonable price, certain solvents and solutions the same, good paper - I use Amazon for that, crafty is ok..ish like the dry rubs they have)

So I'm proposing the following separate the customizing forum area into customs proper - the results (the made stuff like mocs minifigs and custom parts ready to show)

from the

"how to topics" works in progress, techniques, application and educationals + graphic work and either join here the "where to get so and so" by geographic area or by material (for example Brasso Sources and in those who ships where and how much etc )

I'm big into education and open sourcing tools and techniques, how great would it be to be able to make your own printed custom minis for less than 200euros in materials including printer (I'm working on something like that right now, still limited in color thought) and have everyone be able to do the same in the Country they are from.

Any takers to help me put this together, I'm putting the initial work, will start by mining topics from here and elsewhere (jareds fineclonier resources, redbean studio, btb etc), then moving to some of my own private resources, and then I'd like everyone to chime in with their own experience and favorite techniques, tricks, sources, graphic work and printer advices.

How does this sound??

Are we ready to begin?

@Hinckley Hey there, does your tutorial work with self-adhesive stickers like Testors Decal Paper?

Testors Clear Decal Paper

If it does, please let me know what exactly to do. I wanted to customize the heads for Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup from The Powerpuff Girls by giving them different eye decals.