On a scale of 1 to 5  

91 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Lego didn't hit the broad side of a barn
    • 2 - Bad year for the crops
    • 3 - Average Acre
    • 4 - Forget Disneyland, I'm going to Green Acres
    • 5 - Farm-fastic!

I suspect that this little arm is meant to represent a PTO (power take off) which are common on tractors. These are used to power other machinery like ploughs, threshers, etc.

I'm no farmer John, but it looks more like a 3 point hitch to me:

http://www.doublehh.com/product_images/24_...actorGraphi.jpg

I would have liked to have seen another accessory to accompany this set, there is no reason they could not have built in a PTO into the model to drive accessory sets, a plough or something similar would have been good

Paul

This is a damn fine review Brickster. I love the way you're releasing parts of it over time, keeps us coming back here to read more. I definitely want those lovely cows!

What a great component within this set; the blue tractor. At first, I must admit that I wasn't looking forward to this part of the set, but let me say that this is an excellent tractor. The construction is much more detailed than I thought (from a City set with numbered bags), and I just like the look of this tractor and trailer.

You weren't looking forward to it? Why?

Great review. Seems I was beat to it. All the interesting parts have been reviewed for me, as I don't care much about the build of the farm and towe(it's too plain, and I will MOD it.)

:thumbup:

I agree about the price issues. $89 seems a bit high. I would like some of those holstein cows, but at that price, I may as well pick up the MMV.

Maybe I can trade two brown cows for two holsteins? Anyone?

Steve

That impliment behind the tractor could be either a 3-point hitch or a PTO or both. i do agree i would have like to seen a 4+ throw plow or even a pull behind brush hog or soemthing.

those tanks are probably for oxygen and aceltyene, commonly used gases for cutting, burning, heating or welding metal around a farm or garage.

Nice review Brickster.

The newly colored fedora looks great.

Glad to see you bought the farm :grin:

Part 4: Stable & Silo

Continuing my review of the Farm, let's take a look at the stables and grain silo.

This is a close-up of the stables. I love the brown western fence pieces (one depicted in picture), that I have not seen for a few years:

33stable1.jpg

I like the combination of one crate and barrel, plus a few tools on the wall:

34stable2.jpg

This picture shows the cows in the stable. While I love the cors, a horse or two would have been a nice addition to complete this farm:

35stable3.jpg

The roof of the stables:

37roof2.jpg

That opens up for nice playability:

36roof1.jpg

Moving on to the Silo. This is a lot taller than I expected:

38silo1.jpg

There's a component/"slider" at the bottom that pulls out:

39silo2.jpg

When pulled, 30 round 1x1 plates (tan, brown, and yellow) fall out. A few do get stuck from time to time. I would have like to have at least 100 of these for extra fun:

40silo3.jpg

Here's a shot looking up from the bottom. At the end/tip of the silo are two pieces that form of a triangle:

41tip.jpg

Here's the inside of the silo looking down from the top:

42top.jpg

Lastly, the entire stable and silo:

43silonstable.jpg

Both components are pretty nice and I'm not a bit disappointed with either. I particularly like the stables for placement of the cows or added horses.

This concludes part 4, with just the barn remaining. Coming soon...

Great review thus far, thank you. :classic: But as a simple request, I was wondering if I could get a shot of one of those odd red pieces which act as the funnel on the silo? I can't tell if it's new, or, what. Just looks interesting. It looks as if it's a windscreen, just made opaque.

Part 5: Barn

The last and final part of this review is the Barn. The first thing that I'd mention is that just like the silo, the building is much larger than one would expect. This is a good thing in that it is proportionate to the large blue tractor:

44barn1.jpg

Here's a shot from the front left. I think the choice of tan and red colors work well:

45barn2.jpg

At the barn's top is a pulley/hoist mechanism (standard spool on black technic beam assembly) that can be used to lift hay or other items to the barn's loft:

46top.jpg

The large roof pieces lift open on both sides to access the loft. I like the loft, although some additional accessories would have been nice, perhaps even another fence piece near the center. The hay is simply 2x3 yellow bricks:

47loft1.jpg

For additional playability, the two center plates open allowing a minifig to climb through (they can open upward or downward):

48loft2.jpg

The back side is pretty much the same as the front but without the pulley:

49back.jpg

Here's a nother shot of the front with figs for size comparison:

50front.jpg

And the barn pictured with stable and silo:

51whole.jpg

And lastly, the complete set with all vehicles, figs, tools, and accessories:

52final.jpg

Analysis

BUILD: The new farm set was an enjoyable build. I particularly enjoyed the ease at building each component(s) from the numbered bags, yet felt that particular assemblies weren't as easy as one would think (esp. the tractor) that has a lot of pieces and an interesting design. When building these City sets with the numbered bags, I sometimes get that feeling that the set is made for very young children (which they are), but this set seemed to have a nice balance of easy to moderate components. None were difficult or really used advanced building techniques, but as mentioned above, the tractor had quite a few different pieces.

COLOR: This set is all about tan and red. Accent colors include some yellow, black, and grey; plus dark red/maroon used on the grain silo. Having the tractor in blue to offset the main color theme was a nice choice; and for those of you who remember Green Acres, Oliver's tractor was a blue one. In addition, I have a very old Matchbox tractor that is blue, reminding me of these classic-style tractors.

PIECES: While price per piece is extremely high for this set (nothing new among Lego's new 2009 set prices), I really like the parts in this set. They're what one would expect in a set like this. The pieces don't seem to be overly sized, there's a nice selection of small and large parts, and a good selection of baseplates and red roof pieces (very useful for future MOCs). Minifigs are limited at three as someone pointed out above in comparing this set to the new Medieval Market, yet I'm OK with this. A few children with dwarf legs would have been a nice inclusion though. Farmer John (pictured throughout this review) has the new tan hat which is an excellent piece for future Wild West MOCs. :wub: I love the cows which are just fantastic, and in a way, I'm glad that the Medieval Market chose brown cows making these even more rare; although I think we may be seeing these in future farm sets (perhaps on a transport truck or other farm accessory pack). The set does have a pretty good selection of tools and other little accessories. While this set does have a Classic Town charm, it is definately NOT a Classic Town style set. The big difference is the size and the open and airy feel of the barn. In addition, while standard bricks are used, I don't think that there are enough to build alternate models with this set.

DESIGN: The overall design of this set is nice. The stable(s) work well and the liftable roof adds a great degree of playability. While the silo looks good, I don't like the fact that 1x1 round bricks get stuck inside (I think this is a design flaw). I do like the height of the silo though that allows large vehicles (perhaps even a train) to drive under it. The barn design is OK. The liftable roof sections are superb for play, and the trap door to the loft adds interest. I suppose the walls are just a bit too open, but this has to be balanced with play and how one wants to place other items (like cows and other animals) inside. The tractor is excellent, and the trailer adds a great deal of extra fun.

SUMMARY:

All things considered, I would definately buy this set again. I really enjoyed building each component and plan to display this set in a future tabletop scene. I also have something interesting planned as additions to the tabletop display. This set will also fit in nicely with future Grave Stone creations; Farm being the closest to Wild West sets at the moment.

ABOUT THIS REVIEW:

I hope that you've enjoyed this review, and breaking it up into sections has helped me take the time needed to cover each of the components. There's a total of 52 pictures shared within this review. Brickmaster: I'll share a picture of those pieces for you soon.

Thanks again for the great, in-depth review. Everytime the farmer popped up in the bottom of a picture, it made me laugh.

This looks like a nice set. My only complaints are probably the same as everyone else -- the price, and the open-air barn. It's more like a carport than a barn.

I suppose the walls are just a bit too open, but this has to be balanced with play and how one wants to place other items (like cows and other animals) inside.

I think that's probably true. The set was designed to focus on playability, not realism. It's an understandable choice ... but still a bit disappointing for us AFOLs.

I'm just thrilled to see Lego FINALLY giving us farm sets. I don't know where I'm going to put them in my town (real estate is currently at a premium, with no space for expansion), but I'll figure something out. I just hope that TLC builds on the theme, with more farm implements, wagons, plows, more livestock, maybe a crop duster, etc. I would really love to see something like a meadow or a field with crops, but I doubt we'll get that.

Excellent review Brickster! :thumbup:

While this set is certainly a bit overpriced, it may turn out to be $79.99 on S@H. Who knows.

The set looks very nice in my opinion. I simply love the cows and the minifigs and the blue tractor is :wub: . It looks to have a beautiful design, and I think the other 2 farm vehicle sets (tractor and harvester) will go nicely with this.

I think the barn is decent, I would have liked to see the sides enclosed, but I can see the reasoning behind it. As for the stables, they get a clear pass from me. I love all of the little accessories and the brown fence.

My main problem with the set is that it feels kind of barren is some areas, namely the barn. Then again you can easily mod it.

I certainly think I'll try to get this set. Many thanks for the wonderful review Brickster!

Thank you very much for that great review, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

If there would be a poll I'd vote for Average:

Cons of this set:

-missing of a farm house

-much too big trailer

-too less walls

-too small stable

-winch is much too far away from the barn

Pros of this set:

-female farmer

-black-white cows

-two vehicles

-nice accessory

-trap in the barn

-awesome silo and tractor

Conclusion:

The proportion of the vehicles to the buildings (mainly the stable) is imbalanced: The vehicles (mainly the tractor with its immense trailer) are in comparison to the buildings (mainly to the stable) much too big. :thumbdown:

Otherwise I'd say that even when it's not the best farm set you could imagine it's at long last the first farm we get! :thumbup::thumbup:

So I of course will buy it.

By the way: You supposably did forget to add the stickers to the according bricks, TheBrickster, didn't you? :wink:

Klaus-Dieter

thanx for a great review!

i loved the set when i first saw it.

the tractor the minifigs and the accessories are all very very good

but the farm itself looks a bit empty now that i see it in detail

it could use some more bricks or some more details in the buildings as the vehicles are very detailed in comparison.

i think there are too many large pieces for the roof and the silo.

but with these pieces you could make great mocs

the good thing is that lego is exploring new territory in the city range and they are giving us a great fresh idea!

less police stations more farm (and more) is what i say!

Thanks for this great review! There are certainly are a lot of nice features in this set. Some very nice details like the birds house, and over all the tractor and the stables look great.

My main issue is that it's not a complete farm. It's just a barn. If they want it to be a playset, there should be a house. I'm not sure about all countries but over here a farm building has a house in the front and stables in the back.

And it could have been done if they chose a smaller scale. Still minifig scale but a little undersized, as most Lego sets are, instead of oversizes as this one is.

I'm also not sure about the choice for industrial crop farming - a set with more animals (sheep, pigs, chickens - I'd love to see those as Lego animals!) and fences instead of the big silos things would make it much more like a play farm.

That said, I am happy of TLC's choice for more civilian stuff instead of only police and fire stuff. But I will get the separate red tractor and get this set when it appears halfprice in Sales & Deals....

A very good review. thank you Brickster!

I'm not going to get this set but I liked to read your review anyway to see what I'm missing :wink:

Sure there are some things I would like to get, like the cows, tan parts and tan fedora but I just can't buy such a expensive set just to get those pieces.

The best detail in this set IMHO is the nesting boxes on the stable and barn, very nice touch :thumbup:

Awesome review! Looks like this really is the crowning jewel of the new Farm line. The price really puts me off, though, so I won't be able to add it to my collection. :sad:

(Of course, I have nowhere to put it, anyway...)

Thank you very much for that great review, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

If there would be a poll I'd vote for Average:

Cons of this set:

-missing of a farm house

-much too big trailer

-too less walls

-too small stable

-winch is much too far away from the barn

Pros of this set:

-female farmer

-black-white cows

-two vehicles

-nice accessory

-trap in the barn

-awesome silo and tractor

Conclusion:

The proportion of the vehicles to the buildings (mainly the stable) is imbalanced: The vehicles (mainly the tractor with its immense trailer) are in comparison to the buildings (mainly to the stable) much too big. :thumbdown:

Otherwise I'd say that even when it's not the best farm set you could imagine it's at long last the first farm we get! :thumbup::thumbup:

So I of course will buy it.

By the way: You supposably did forget to add the stickers to the according bricks, TheBrickster, didn't you? :wink:

Klaus-Dieter

I'd have to disagree with most of your discrepencies with theFarm. While sides on the barn and stable would have added to the athstetics, it would have hindered playability. When your a kid you want full access! If there were walls all around, it would have been much harder to gain access to the trap doors in the barn, as well as postion the cows.

As far as the vehicles, the tractor, as well as the matching trailer are perfect! Thats the size the real dump trailers are on the farm. I think TLC did a bang up job! Anyways, the tractor and trailer shouldn't be built in proportion to the stable. They should be built in proportion of the barn and silo, whitch TLC did. The stable house the animals, not the tractors.

I really like this farm. Not sure if i'll be picking it up, but you never know what the future holds!

Thanks for this great review! There are certainly are a lot of nice features in this set. Some very nice details like the birds house, and over all the tractor and the stables look great.

My main issue is that it's not a complete farm. It's just a barn. If they want it to be a playset, there should be a house. I'm not sure about all countries but over here a farm building has a house in the front and stables in the back.

And it could have been done if they chose a smaller scale. Still minifig scale but a little undersized, as most Lego sets are, instead of oversizes as this one is.

I'm also not sure about the choice for industrial crop farming - a set with more animals (sheep, pigs, chickens - I'd love to see those as Lego animals!) and fences instead of the big silos things would make it much more like a play farm.

That said, I am happy of TLC's choice for more civilian stuff instead of only police and fire stuff. But I will get the separate red tractor and get this set when it appears halfprice in Sales & Deals....

A farm house would have been nice, but would have raised the price of the set significantly and would have added marginal playability for kids; since this set is a foray into a new subtheme, TLG prob wanted to pack as many play features into the set, hence the silo. Fences aren't very playable, but driving your wagon under the grain silo and loading up is, well, fun. And if any spills, the front end loader will come in handy for cleanup. I 'd imagine more farm animals may come if the set sells well, which I think it will, at least in North America where there is a plethora of agriculture and a strong "country" culture.

For me, the tractor is the centerpiece of this set. Someone mentioned it looks like a classic tractor; I respectfully disagree, as it looks very modern to me. I don't see a PTO, which would look like a drive axle, but the arm represents the top portion of a 3-point hitch, along with the two technic pieces with the bar running across, used as attchment points for equipment, allowing them to be raised and lowered via hydraulics, or good ole muscle power on classic tractors. Most modern tractors have fully enclosed air conditioned cockpits, dual rear wheels, and rounded bonnets (hoods, for US folks) I think the addition of the drill press and oxy-acetylene tanks , very handy on the farm, is excellent, although I see no sign of a torch or hoses. The riding lawnmower is the oddest part of the set to me, and could have been replaced by farming equipment attachable to the tractor (make use of that hitch!) A manure spreader would be LOL inducing awesomeness, dispensing brown carrots and small brown radar dishes (cow patties!) I also think it odd that the cows are in a stable instead of in the barn, but whatever.

Overall, I think the set captures the feel of a farm. A standalone farmhouse set with a chicken coop and tool shed ( and the riding lawnmower) would have made a nice companion set, and maybe we 'll still get it down the road. I hope to see some expansion on the theme, as it definitely has an appeal.

Thanks for this huge review :thumbup:

First I thought this set isn't really good, but now your review decide me to buy it.

Because, it's one of the best City sets, we've ever seen.

We got great new ''german'' cows, new farmer figures and much more.

So thanks for sharing!

'Bricks'

A farm house would have been nice, but would have raised the price of the set significantly and would have added marginal playability for kids; Fences aren't very playable, but driving your wagon under the grain silo and loading up is, well, fun.

Well, I would have wanted a smaller barn & tractor so that for the same price a living part could have been put in, too (size 1 door 2 windows roof , basically...) As a kid, I could not have played with this without a house (I would have added it, no doubt...) because the farmer would have needed to live somewhere (and I lived on the countryside so I was very much used to farms)

Outstanding review TheBrickster! :thumbup: Great pictures and focus on detail.

The set is very interesting because we are dealing with a brand new theme and the desing of it is very beautiful.

I really like the silo and the colours of the set! :wub:

I got the official greek Lego catalogue a week ago and I have noticed something. In the pages where the Farm theme is displayed, there is -as usual- a display of all the sets combined together. I was :cry_happy: when i saw two minifigs with the classic era face pattern.

Has anybody seen this in their country's catalogues? (Sorry if this was off-topic but I was in a nostalgic mood. :blush: )

Well, I would have wanted a smaller barn & tractor so that for the same price a living part could have been put in, too (size 1 door 2 windows roof , basically...) As a kid, I could not have played with this without a house (I would have added it, no doubt...) because the farmer would have needed to live somewhere (and I lived on the countryside so I was very much used to farms)

I totally agree with you, eti!

A farm house is absolutely necessary to be added to a farm and I, too, am very disappointed that TLG didn't include one in this set! :cry_sad:

A farm house would have been nice, but would have raised the price of the set significantly and would have added marginal playability for kids; since this set is a foray into a new subtheme, TLG prob wanted to pack as many play features into the set, hence the silo. Fences aren't very playable, but driving your wagon under the grain silo and loading up is, well, fun. And if any spills, the front end loader will come in handy for cleanup. I 'd imagine more farm animals may come if the set sells well, which I think it will, at least in North America where there is a plethora of agriculture and a strong "country" culture.

You're right, M'Kyuun. The set would have become to expensive if TLG added a farmhouse to it.

But they could have released one seperately - or at least one as a S@H Exclusive. :cry_sad:

So there's only hope for next year that we either get a farm house - or some/one apartment house(s) in general (which I would prefer since some apartment houses for our cities are really, really needed, too).

Overall, I think the set captures the feel of a farm. A standalone farmhouse set with a chicken coop and tool shed ( and the riding lawnmower) would have made a nice companion set, and maybe we 'll still get it down the road. I hope to see some expansion on the theme, as it definitely has an appeal.

I totally agree with you, M'Kyuun!

I don't want only a farm house in addition to this year's great Farm sets - I even hope that they'll offer us some more agrarian vehicles, a garden and some other animals with their stables/cages. (E. g. TLG could well release some brick-built chickens, a cock, a cage, some forage and a farmboy.)

Klaus-Dieter

Holy cow! (gettit cow..) Those sets are totally kwl. When are they released in the uk? :tongue:

I believe we shall have the pleasure March/April time (depending on whether shops get any better at getting hold of stock by then :hmpf_bad: )

I'm no farmer John, but it looks more like a 3 point hitch to me:

http://www.doublehh.com/product_images/24_...actorGraphi.jpg

I would have liked to have seen another accessory to accompany this set, there is no reason they could not have built in a PTO into the model to drive accessory sets, a plough or something similar would have been good

Paul

Could be either I reckon. What a great idea about having some kind of actual PTO connection for accessories. Why didn't I think of that!?

Thanks for the review so far. I really like this set, however I'm not sure of those wheels on the tractor. Two wheels together seem way to big!

I will take the second on each side away, than it will look more realistic. =)

I think that this is what Lego were aiming for with the twin rear wheel design. It is not uncommon for use on soft and/or wet ground as it give extra traction and distributes the weight better. As you said, you can always just fit single rear wheels if you don't want to run with twins! :tongue:

nohl15.jpg

Cheers

Rog

While this set is certainly a bit overpriced, it may turn out to be $79.99 on S@H. Who knows.

Sorry Erds - it's up now and its $USD89.99.

This is a very nice set. I'm really looking forward to getting it. The tan and red with dark red accents colour scheme does look very nice. The Summer Creator house uses similar colours so anyone desperate for a Farmhouse may be able to use that for parts :wink: It's also nice to see a vehicle in a primary colour other than yellow, white and blue, or orange.

Thanks for the review, The Brickster!