Sign in to follow this  
RangerBob

Review: 6941

indexed.gif

With the upcoming Space Police 3 I want to take a look back to the roots.

But today lets have a look on the Bad Guys. Black Tron set 6941.

manual.jpg

The Minifig

minifig.jpg

With the vehicle comes with a Black Tron Pilot.

If you have read my review of 6781, you might want to skip this part as you don't get any new Information.

I still like the Black Tron Minifigs. They are pure awesome. The dark look fits perfect for their Bad Guy role. (Looks at Black Tron II Minifigs).

But look in the eyes of our little buddy here. He can't be bad, can he?

The Vehicle

seite.jpg

the vehicle has a really nice design and an awesome color scheme. Mostly black with some yellow and trans-red for engines/weapons.

back.jpg

unlike the 6781 Police Ship, this one has engines. But they look a bit cheap to me.

vorne.jpg

the vehicle has an axis in the middle, so it can turn around a corner.

It also has a clever damping system. The hoses do their jobs pretty well.

detail.jpg

Also nice are the container at each side, where you can put your guns or tools.

As you may have noticed, the vehicle comes with some technic pieces.

That's because the vehicle is alterable.

modul.jpg

You can leave the main frame behind to have a nice flight around the planet.

But you should stay in the atmosphere as...

fehler.jpg

... there are holes big as a womb-rat.

so if you want to take a trip into space, modify it.

but on the other hand, what can go wrong, if you have the power of the

Triforce

triforce.jpg

on your side

With some modifications, you can easily build a ship, that looks way cooler than most of the ships today

and also it's simple to turn this single seater into a double-seater.

the vehicle is Ranger Bob proofed

bobproofed.jpg

result:

Minifig: 10/10

Playability: 9/10

Build: 7/10

Overall: 9.0

Hope you liked my review.

I hit the road

bobtakeoff.jpg

I still like the Black Tron Minifigs. They are pure awesome. The dark look fits perfect for their Bad Guy role. (Looks at Black Tron II Minifigs).

But look in the eyes of our little buddy here. He can't be bad, can he?

It's always the nice ones you need to look out for!

Funny fact of the day: LEGO decided to market Blacktron with all the Blacktron figures' visors up, because a query had revealed that parents found the figures to look evil, dangerous, scary and menacing with the visors down. I am not making this up!

Didn't stop the vehicles from looking evil, though. The colors are direct opposite of the good guys' white and trans-blue, and looks great on this vehicle, IMO. And I think it would still work when opposed with the galaxy's newest crime-prevention equipment!

Excellent review, RangerBob, BTW! Didn't leave me wondering what other features there'd might be on it!

This is one set that really benefits from mods. I think the stock model has a couple of flaws, but they can all be fixed pretty easily. As you said, the cockpit is full of holes and should have room for a second guy given its size. I also thought the rear-mounted guns looked strange, so I mounted them on the wings instead, as seen here.

Funny fact of the day: LEGO decided to market Blacktron with all the Blacktron figures' visors up, because a query had revealed that parents found the figures to look evil, dangerous, scary and menacing with the visors down. I am not making this up!

That makes sense. The catalogs always have them shown with the visors up.

The funniest part about this is that Blacktron wasn't overtly evil when they originally came out. They actually seem to be cooperating with Futuron in the 1988 catalogs. However, when the Space Police came out in 1989, they got pissed off and started attacking the Futurons and destroying their monorail. TLG decided to make them the bad guys only at that point. :laugh:

Thanks for the fine review, RangerBob. :classic:

Although I like the original Blacktrons, their color schemes and their vehicles really well I´ve to say that this vehicle´s not one

of my favorites. I don´t like it´s oversized racing car appearance, but it´s playability´s for sure high and in starfighter mode it

looks quite cool too.

Ah, I see, that must be why those MM jellies could not move their arms... to spare the little kid´s some hellish nightmares... :tongue:

If kids are pissing themselves over Blacktron minifigs I've got very little hope for my generation.

This set is good... I don't like it as much as the Renegade, which imo is the star of Blacktron I, but I still really like it. :)

If kids are pissing themselves over Blacktron minifigs I've got very little hope for my generation.

This set is good... I don't like it as much as the Renegade, which imo is the star of Blacktron I, but I still really like it. :)

The set in bold and below is the star relic of my childhood. :wub:

6954-1.jpg

Edited by Spacefan

I don't think the Renegade is that impressive. It looked great in the pictures but I was rather disappointed when I got one myself off ebay. It has a lot of details on the exterior, but the overall structure is flimsy and there is very little interior room, not even enough space for the second pilot. There is also the same issue of holes in the cockpit as this Battrax. I made a modified ship using the same basic shape instead (it's in the link I posted earlier).

The best Blacktron 1 sets for me are the MIB, followed by the Invader. The Invader is small, but has a lot of features and is just about flawless for what it's supposed to be. :thumbup:

I don't think the Renegade is that impressive. It looked great in the pictures but I was rather disappointed when I got one myself off ebay. It has a lot of details on the exterior, but the overall structure is flimsy and there is very little interior room, not even enough space for the second pilot. There is also the same issue of holes in the cockpit as this Battrax. I made a modified ship using the same basic shape instead (it's in the link I posted earlier).

The best Blacktron 1 sets for me are the MIB, followed by the Invader. The Invader is small, but has a lot of features and is just about flawless for what it's supposed to be. :thumbup:

Well, Blacktron I was in essence late Classic Space done in black and yellow. I thought the Renegade was cool back in 87-88 for nothing more than the cool new color scheme I suppose, though it wasn't as big as the CS 497/928 Galaxy Explorer, 6980 Galaxy Commander or 6985 Cosmic Fleet Voyager.

I love Blacktron 1 as a theme too, just not that particular set. BT1 probably had the most "evil" appearance of any of the bad guy themes. :sweet:

I made a modified ship using the same basic shape instead (it's in the link I posted earlier).

Ah... very nice, a beautiful collection and some very neat MODing... your Renegade looks marvelous, a truly nifty 'beefed up' version... :wub:

The Invader´s one of my favorite medium LEGO starships ever, its sleek and punchy lines´re really noble.

Thanks. :classic:

Yes, the Invader is very nicely designed, although I'm not sure I would call it noble. It looks more like it's ready to cause trouble. :grin:

I wasn't born for it either, but still think that the minifigs are boss. I, for some reason like the trans neon color scheme better, but, like the lego space comic implies, the seem more like buisness men. Lol. I can totaly see them as vehicle merchents... :look: hmm alpha centura, is suddenly looking like a buisness co... mocage......

Expanding on what Freddie said, I also remember reading that they put off the skeleton minifigs for a few years because TLG thought kids would get scared of them and that minifig could die. I admit, the Blacktron thing does sound a little ridiculous. They looked too evil with their visors down??? And I thought parents today were ridiculous! Now you got Monster Fighters and stuff, with giant Vampire alarm clocks and stuff.

Reviews like this make me sad I don't own any classic-era space sets. And some prices are rather extortionate nowadays...