61 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

INDEXED

LEGO's new City subtheme for 2009 is the Farm, and if you've got fields to plow or heavy equipment to move, then you'll need a tractor. Good thing TLC made one, eh? I nabbed one of these yesterday, so let's get on with the review!

7634-1.jpg

Set Info

Set Name: 7634 Tractor

Theme: City

Subtheme: Farm

Released: 2009

Pieces: 78

Price: USD $12.99? (it was $14.99 at TRU :sad:), GBP ?, EUR ?

Minifigs: 1

Box Front

7634-tractor-box-front.jpg

If you're under the age of three, then don't eat the pieces.

Box Back

7634-tractor-box-back.jpg

"Designed for easy building and instant play." Well, yeah; isn't that the point of LEGO?

Manual

7634-tractor-manual.jpg

Complete with DSS. (At least there's only three tiny ones.)

Random Page

7634-tractor-random-page.jpg

Parts (Bagged)

7634-tractor-bags.jpg

Two bags: one big, one small.

Parts (Unbagged)

7634-tractor-parts.jpg

Ahh, there's nothing quite like the sight of a fresh pile of bricks, waiting to be built with!

Spare Parts

7634-tractor-extra-pieces.jpg

Not many.

The Minifig

7634-tractor-minifig.jpg

Here's our farmer. The face and cap are rather standard, but check out those stereotypical green overalls and red flannel shirt! All he needs is a piece of wheat grass to stick between his teeth, and an empty beer can to spit tobacco juice into. Seriously, though; the minifig is simple, but absolutely perfect for this set.

Building in Progress

7634-tractor-building.jpg

The chassis starts to take shape.

Final Model

7634-tractor-front-side.jpg

Now, our farmer can get to work! As you can see, the final model looks pretty damned good. There's few specialized pieces, and there's no mistaking that this is a heavy-duty farm tractor. There's a good amount of detail, too, right down to the rear bucket. The farmer can toss his shovel back there, or you can use it to spread seeds, soil, or whatever else your farm may need. The massive tires are sure to keep a good grip, even in muddy fields. (Hopefully our farmer can send out one of his fellow farmhands in his place if it's rainy!) I should point out that some minor disassembly is needed to place the minifig in the driver's seat; you need to remove the cab roof and glass in order to sit him down! (Quite a few recent vehicles have this quirk, sadly.)

Alternate Views

7634-tractor-back.jpg

Here's the tractor with the bucket lowered. You can also see the trailer hitch; perfect for attaching your MOCs!

7634-tractor-front.jpg

You don't want to play chicken with this.

7634-tractor-other-front-si.jpg

The right side, showing off the exhaust pipe.

Last Words

Pros: Finally, a powerful tractor set to proper minifig scale! The model's nice and solid, with great detail. The bucket in the back is a nice touch, too.

Cons: The price. I had to pay extra because I bought the set at TRU, but even if the official MSRP ends being as low as $9.99, you're still only getting 78 pieces.

Overall: Price nonwithstanding, this tractor is still a great set. Other tractors we've seen have been rather weak, mainly because they were too small and wimpy-looking. This is a big red beast, and a fine addition to any budding farmer's collection. (Pun intended!)

Links

Toys R Us

Brickset

Edited by TheBrickster

Wow, thanks for the thorough review liquidcross! This was the '09 set I have been looking forward to most and thanks to your review I'm guaranteed to purchase it. What's with all the good sets? My wallet aches...

Nice review for a nice set! :thumbup:

I was not sure about buying some farm stuff but after seeing this review (and the sets price... :grin:) I think it could be a little place for farm in my streets. Thanks! :wink:

Great pictures! It looks very good and has great pieces - I want two. No idea when it will be available in my country, though - it's not even on S@H yet.

Great review, liquidcross. I like your sense of humour! :laugh:

I can't believe you disobeyed the instructions and built on carpet *oh2* I'd lock your door. Lego is probably sending around a couple of goons to beat you up even as we speak.

Seriously, this is a sweet little set. The minifig is nice and I like the simple design of the tractor. They could have added some red tiles or cheese slopes to smoothen out the extended hubcap arch but it's easy to mod. I love that grain Farm logo too. And it's quite a greebly set for such a small vehicle too :thumbup:

Have you thought about joining the Reviewer's Academy?

Personally I think this is a fantastic set. It is a bit over priced at TRU, but it is just the tip of a great farm set. I cannot wait to get the rest of the sets coming out. This is definitely the workhorse of the farm, and it does not disappoint. The only thing I don't like is having to take off the roof and one of the windows to get a figure in. Minor problem that I can live with.

I am glad the farmer is happy. After a few of the past construction sets with working folk with foul looks on their faces, it is good to see a man that really wants to do his job.

Nice review Liquidcross, and thank you for sharing on EB. Also welcome to Eurobricks. I took the liberty of adding a poll so others may rate this set (also indexed).

Although a bit pricey at the TRU price, it's a great little vehicle. I'm looking forward to the large farm set as well as this little tractor. :thumbup:

EDIT: and BLOGGED!

$12.99 is a bit much for such a small set (it seems LEGO is slipping them in here and there), but this is perfect fodder for a Buy 2 Get 1 Free sale at TRU (even marked up to $14.99).

Edited by Draykov

Nice review Liquidcross. :classic:

I like this set quite a bit. The minifig is stunning and I love the idea of a LEGO farm. I think that this will go perfectly with the larger farm set when it's released.

Sure, the price is a bit steep, but hopefully it'll be 12.99 when it hits S@H. I do wonder when the Farm sets will be more widespread...

LEGO is really outdoing themselves with these double side printed torsos. :thumbup:

As much as I like the farm line, this little tractor isn't really something I couldn't build with spare bricks. If they'd tossed in a cow or something, I'd be much more apt to buy it (maybe two even). Or even an Indy hat in a different color would make it much better. As it is, I think I would have to pass.

Steve

Nice review! I just have one question, can you actually attach a trailer to it? Thanks

-Ricecracker

Nice review! I just have one question, can you actually attach a trailer to it? Thanks

-Ricecracker

That is a lovely set, and a great review :thumbup:

This is definatley one of the city sets I will buy for this year.

It is really a nice theme that alot of people out there has whiched for a long time.

-Ras-

Nice review for a small but nice little set, liquidcross!

This will be one the few sets I´ll be buying this year.

Good to know TLC added a small DSS, but they could have let out the front sticker and could have made it from bricks... :look: But the model itself would lack much if you just refrain from putting the stickers on.

One thing: It would have been nice to see a pic the farmers back. As Rayman said, this is one of the beautiful sets, where the minifig comes with a double sided torso. :wub:

I rated it "4"

As mentioned before - nice review liquidcross :thumbup:!

The Farm theme is really growing on me. The price might be a bit high, but I think the design & farmer Bob makes up for it. I´ll get at least one later on.

CopMike

Love it! I'll agree with the sentiment that for an unlicensed theme it's a little overpriced, but that won't stop me from picking up this whole line (not at TRU, however). Do wish they'd include either a crop, even in minimal quantities or maybe some fencing though.

Thanks for a fine review, Liquidcross! :thumbup:

Thanks for the great review bro! Beautiful set! But i really have to agree with the high price... Seems like all the new 09 sets are rather costly by the way...

I can't believe you disobeyed the instructions and built on carpet!

Yeah, my kitchen table's far too reflective. I could build on it, sure, but the glare makes photography next to impossible, and I don't have any white sheets to drape over it. :sceptic:

Have you thought about joining the Reviewer's Academy?

Does that mean my review was good, or bad? :classic:

Nice review! I just have one question, can you actually attach a trailer to it?

Yep. That hitch is the same one used on plenty of other sets. (You'll just need an extended connector on whatever trailer you use, or just take the bucket off the tractor.)

Whats the yellow lightsaber blade doing?

That's used to strengthen the attach points for the bucket. It's slid into the cores of two black Technic pins, right behind the rear wheels. (You can see it in my "Building in Progress" pic, as well as on the random instruction manual page.)

A fine review. I enjoy viewing the latest wave of CITY sets. The entire built revolved around the red facade that suits the current farm theme. I will defintely get a few of this and add into my collection. Thanks for sharing with us. :sweet:

Does that mean my review was good, or bad? :classic:

Your review defintely has some substance, otherwise it won't make it to the frontpage. :wink: If you expressed interest in reviewing and wish to learn more and eventually certify to be a qualified reviewer, sign up for it.

Thanks for the great review bro! Beautiful set! But i really have to agree with the high price... Seems like all the new 09 sets are rather costly by the way...

Yep. Prior to this year, a 78-piece set would have been $8 or maybe $10. If you look at the prices of all the construction sets, they're also all about 30% higher than they would have been in previous years. Welcome to the new economy!

Thanks for the great review. This is a terrific set with a lot of playability and charm. A farm and a zoo were my two main wishes for the City theme, and Lego has done a great job on the first one. Now, maybe we'll get that zoo next year ...

Thanks for that fine review, liquidcross. :thumbup:

I really like the overall neat design of that little red ride, although I wish it would come with a

brickbuilt backside instead of the second windscreen piece to give some access to the cockpit

and also a little more playability. A grille brick or so on front instead that odd sticker could´ve

been a very welcomed detail too. However, nothing that couldn´t be salvaged by MODing. :classic:

So, a country life for me and a bottle of moonshine on... now all I need more´s a sweet little

cattle impulse or army builder set, yeeha! :grin:

Edited by Asuka

Thank you very much for this great review, liquidcross! :thumbup:

I voted for Above Average since I really like this very detailed and very realistic looking tractor. :oh: And the minifig is great, too. :thumbup:

The only thing which I miss is a hayfork. :cry_sad:

In Germany the price of 10 Euros is imo not cheap but since it's a big vehicle the price is ok. :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Is it confirmed that it'll be ten euros?

If anyone finds out the official MSRP in other currencies, please let me know, so I can edit accordingly. :classic:

Edited by liquidcross

Great review, and can't wait to build my set. Though I'm disappointed to hear about having to disassemble the driving compartment just to access it.

As a side note, I found this at TRU the other day. It was priced $9.99 on the shelf, but it rang up at $14.99. Needless to say I received a price adjustment for $9.99, but the young manager promptly removed the incorrect price sticker from the shelf and mumbled something about it being the wrong tractor. So check your local TRU to see if they made the same mistake.