Sign in to follow this  
MagPiesRUs

WIP: Hawk's Diner

I've been working on a 40's diner. It's not quite finished and there are some features I'm not pleased with, so I hope to improve it based on your feedback.

Update (Jan 31st 2010):

IMG_2642.jpg

Overall view:

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

The roof. I'm unsure whether I should keep it as it is, or make the raised brown part one stud wide (the name escapes me).

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

Behind the diner

IMG_1785.jpg

I'm not in love with the step at the door, though it's necessary to keep the glass at a consistent level.

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

Lights. I'll have to try to fix these up a little.

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

Behind the bar. I'll most likely cover the tan with tiles when I get more, though I wonder if it would look better in brown.

IMG_1839.jpg

I'll need a couple more stools.

IMG_1837.jpg

As well as these, I'm a little concerned that I've used too many colours, what with brown, tan, white, black, greys and dark green.

Enjoy. Feedback would be much appreciated. :sweet:

Looks good to me!

I like the capture of the fedora's and the way people looked in the 40's.

That roof is nice to, I really like the circular design.

Nice Job!

Very Nice :thumbup:

Maybe some suggestions;

- Some windows in the roof to make the MOC inside a bit lighter

- change the roof colors, maybe choose a different color for the inside then the outside, i would definitely loose the green and brown

- add a small cabinet at the wall with maybe some glasses or whatever (1 stud depth should be enough)

- on the outside add a pavement, it will make the tan you used as a basis disappear (and the corner will look a lot better)

furthermore, I would say very very nice :sweet:

Overall design is great. Definitely comes up 40's diner.

The shape of the roof is good but the colors don't work so well for me -- too "earth toney." If you have the plates, I'd go with something a bit brighter to offset the black exterior. Also, as it is a WIP, maybe you are planning a sign for the roof. If the sign was brighter colors, maybe the green and brown would not stand out so much.

Just my thoughts -- I really like where you are at, though!

Wonderful job! The color scheme (specially the interior) looks really 40's style :wink:

Reminds me "Road to Perdition" when the killer find them in a road cafe... :tongue:

Make it bigger

Add a restroom

Add a passage, so that the barkeeper can move from the public area to his work area.

The tap is great. Lots of variety of beverage for the bar's visitors. I really like the stools. I actually spent a lot of time last weekend trying to come up with a stool.

As for the colors, the only thing that sticks out is the floor coming outside under the wall. Otherwise, I think the building is good. It would probably look even better if it were in context with other buildings.

It's great but it comes across more as a bar than a Diner to me and could do with a serving lady. As for improvements, I like the step and the colour scheme, I just think that the building could do with a sign outside to tell people what it is.

Overall a brilliant design which would fit in well with Town Plan.

It's so funny that you're building this, because I'm working on one too. :blush:

Here's my advice. I love the interior, especially the overhead lights. That's very smart. The glass and the curve look awesome. You did a very good job matching up the curves and the doors and all of the frames. That being said, I don't like the roof. On top of those smooth windows, the roof looks out of place, and a little rushed. I think the roof should overhang the windows a bit. Is there any way to make it curved and smooth? It'd be nice to not see any studs somehow. A lot of these old diners have stripes in the roof line. Perhaps gray and dark red, or white and dark blue. But the dark orange and dark green don't work in my opinion. As far as the step goes, I think instead of the black tile, I would use two 1x2 dark or light grey tiles because those steps are usually made of cement. I can't wait to see the finished project, it looks really great so far, just re-visit that roof.

One more little thing: Restaurant fire code-door opens out onto the street and not into the restaurant. If there's a fire, people's instinct is to push out the door. The fire code changed after people died in fires when the door opened in and everyone was pressed up against it and burned to death.

A very cool work and an indeed very interesting rendering of the original:

nighthawks3.jpg

:grin:

The interior looks brilliant, and although it´s not easy for sure I really would like to see that green inner line

around the windows because I think this adds really a lot to the overall composition of the painting...

However, you already did a very fine and smooth job on this! :thumbup:

Great job.

I would second those who suggested that the color scheme lends itself more towards a bar than a cafe. However, a new tiling on the floor, and some more "Bright" roof details or a sign could push it more towards a cafe. Either way, it's a good MOC, and a great WIP.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll definitely try out some of your suggestions. :classic:

Overall design is great. Definitely comes up 40's diner.

The shape of the roof is good but the colors don't work so well for me -- too "earth toney." If you have the plates, I'd go with something a bit brighter to offset the black exterior. Also, as it is a WIP, maybe you are planning a sign for the roof. If the sign was brighter colors, maybe the green and brown would not stand out so much.

Just my thoughts -- I really like where you are at, though!

Thanks. I agree the roof colours don't look quite right, but I don't want anything too bright, as I quite like the contrast between the bright interior and the dark exterior. I think I may try a different shade of green or perhaps dark blue. Yes, I'm planning on adding a sign, possibly tan or white.

Wonderful job! The color scheme (specially the interior) looks really 40's style :wink:

Reminds me "Road to Perdition" when the killer find them in a road cafe... :tongue:

Thank you. I haven't seen the movie, but I hear that the cinematography is inspired by Edward Hopper, which this diner is based off.

It's so funny that you're building this, because I'm working on one too. :blush:

Here's my advice. I love the interior, especially the overhead lights. That's very smart. The glass and the curve look awesome. You did a very good job matching up the curves and the doors and all of the frames. That being said, I don't like the roof. On top of those smooth windows, the roof looks out of place, and a little rushed. I think the roof should overhang the windows a bit. Is there any way to make it curved and smooth? It'd be nice to not see any studs somehow. A lot of these old diners have stripes in the roof line. Perhaps gray and dark red, or white and dark blue. But the dark orange and dark green don't work in my opinion. As far as the step goes, I think instead of the black tile, I would use two 1x2 dark or light grey tiles because those steps are usually made of cement. I can't wait to see the finished project, it looks really great so far, just re-visit that roof.

One more little thing: Restaurant fire code-door opens out onto the street and not into the restaurant. If there's a fire, people's instinct is to push out the door. The fire code changed after people died in fires when the door opened in and everyone was pressed up against it and burned to death.

Thanks. I'm thinking that a SNOT technique could work, though it would make the roof very fragile. I like the idea of adding stripes to the roof, I'll definitely try that out. Thanks for the information about the doors, I'll change that. I don't have many city sets, but is there a lego version of a swing door?

Thanks again, and good luck with your own diner. :classic:

A very cool work and an indeed very interesting rendering of the original:

nighthawks3.jpg

:grin:

The interior looks brilliant, and although it´s not easy for sure I really would like to see that green inner line

around the windows because I think this adds really a lot to the overall composition of the painting...

However, you already did a very fine and smooth job on this! :thumbup:

Thanks, I'm glad someone picked up on the reference. :grin: I would've loved to have included the green inner line around the windows, but it would be very difficult without having an outer line considering the way I've built the windows. I could use the curved window technique used in the Town Plan service station, but even then it wouldn't be seamless.

Thanks again for your feedback everyone, it is much appreciated. :sweet:

This is very nice. I love the exterior design, but if I may gove some ideas, I would suggest

-maybe adding another small room (bathroom, office, etc...)

-adding some sort of grill or oven

-maybe add a booth/table if you have room

-some food would really make it seem more realistic

Besides that, its great! Can't wait to see the finished product! :thumbup:

Edited by darthperson

wow very nice diners.

i like the interior very much.

great creation.

awesome job. :thumbup:

UPDATE:

I've tiled the sidewalk outside to hide the tan from the interior. I'll most likely change the pavement to light bley in the final product, but I don't have many of them spare at the moment:

IMG_1840.jpg

Interior:

IMG_1841.jpg

I've added a food display:

IMG_1842.jpg

The back of it can be opened up:

IMG_1845.jpg

A menu decal has been added, as well as a glass shelf:

IMG_1844.jpg

Very nice improvements! I especially like the food display, the use of the hood type thing for a car is great on it. I also like the menu board, though don't you think that the prices are a little high :tongue:?

-Ricecracker

That's looking superb! :thumbup:

The blackboard menu has to be my favorite part, very creative (nice chalk by the way). I also love all of the other great design elements like the taps and the display case.

Those curved windows add a unique touch to the building's design. I look forward to seeing this when it's all finished! :classic:

Its really starting to look like a diner now and i could imagine this becoming modular, a nice big building to go alongside Cafe corner and the likes.

Great improvements. I really like the food storage. That is an excellent addition that makes it look less like a bar and more like a diner.

pst *whisper* there is still no food prep area. A "diner" needs a grill or stove. :) I think your little diner is getting pretty tight on space.

Excellent diner. I'm not sure if I like the outside or the detailed interior better, each has a very nice design. This looks just like something that should be in an old movie.

I think you've captured the Boulevard of Broken Dreams perfectly. :thumbup:

11717755.jpg

I saw this the day you posted it but must've forgotten to post then.. :blush:

Anyway I love this diner! :sweet::cry_happy: [im kinda thinking of doing a '40s Mafia Game here on EB and was thinking of doing something similar to your diner So far im thinking for them to have meetings ect..] Anyway I think if you had brown & tan tiles instead of just tan...Anyway I love the whole thing good job Tiny Pius :classic:

Ooooh! This is looking really cool. I eagerly await the finished product.

Cale

Looking very good. May I just suggest that rather than tan or brown tiles behind the counter, what about a checkered black and white kitchen floor? I think that style was big in the 40's, although I wasn't around then. :tongue:

This looks really nice, and I love your solution of the black pieces underneath the curved window, it´s nicer than TLCs (Town Plan gas station).

I´m actually working on a bank in the same size and style (based on a real bank).

Also I just love the bar desk with all its features. :thumbup:

This is a very nice MOC!!