10 members have voted

1. 1. How do rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

The mighty Toa of Light, Takanuva, returns! I got this wonderful set for Christmas, and I love it! The massive size of him is so great, and he is very similar, but yet very different from his original nuva version. I decided to review this set because I wanted everyone on Eurobricks to know what a great figure this is! this is my first review, so bear with me it won't be that bad :tongue: .

Name: Takanuva 8699

Theme: Bionicle

Team: Mistika Toa

Year: 2008

Pieces: 267

Price: USD $30

Picture of Box for Reference

3181473387_ab8ca51c91_o.jpg

New Pieces for 2008

3183337388_e78f125296.jpg

From left to right, top first,

the first new piece is Lewa Phantoka's sword. I like it because it is a very nicely designed piece with a lot of detail.

Next up is Onua Mistika's shield, and this piece is very neat looking, because it looks like some type of a futuristic shield piece.

Up next is the Phantoka's skyblaster and its ammo. It has a nice shooting distance, almost equal to a zamor sphere launcher, and it is a bit bulky, but it looks very nice on Takanuva because he is so large.

The piece next to the skyblaster ammo is not an Inika claw. It is actually a new claw used in the Mistika series.

Starting on the bottom,

the first piece is a piece used to hold Pohatu Phantoka's propellors.

The piece after that one is a new matoran limb, used on almost, and if not all 2008 matoran.

The last piece is obviously his mask, which I will talk about later.

In Build Pictures

3184148557_0c171d02e8_m.jpg3184987124_4dbca59807_m.jpg3184988766_1163c4bd9b_m.jpg

Random Instruction Book Page

3184991718_705005642d_m.jpg

Torso

3180814914_5ff447477c.jpg

His torso is very thin, and not that that is a bad thing, because it makes it look pretty cool. He uses Onua Mistika's shield as a chestpeice, and an Inika white foot below that, and all in all, a very nice torso.

Back

3180809934_9f715e44b6.jpg

The back looks very nice. The matoran limbs give it its nice shape. The pieces connected to the arms and legs make a great addition, because they help keep the arms and legs where you leave them, so the arms don't drift down when posing, and all other situations like that.

Legs

3179969109_5a46497555.jpg

The legs look great, but are not my personal favorite, because on the sides they use the old exo-toa style pieces, which in my opinion are not the greatest look. There is also an open space in the bottom half that was left uncovered caused because he is so big, and they had to use few pieces in few places, which means you will have gaps. Also the hordika foot will move, because it is only connected with one piece, which doesn't really matter anyway. The spike type things at his knee are great. The spike-type things at his knee are great, because they give him a very menacing look. I also like the use of Pohatu Phantoka's turbines on the upper half of the leg. Overall, not my favorite leg, but it all adds to the massive size of Takanuva, which is great!

Arms

3180807392_324af8c0b3.jpg

Overall, nice arms. They support the weight of his weapon, and skyblaster nicely, and unlike any other 2008 sets, the Inika leg looks good as an arm, because it is a nice big piece that looks great on this big figure. The one thing that kinda annoys me when posing him, is that his claws don't close all the way.

3180808982_dc9be4d3bf.jpg

Another weird thing about him is that he uses Takadox's mask for his shoulder. It does cover up some pieces that are underneath the mask that don't look that good. It also gives the upper arm and shoulder its nice shape. As long as you are not looking down at it, it looks fine.....

Weapon

3180804578_b434b5d8dc_b.jpg

All in all, I love this weapon. It is nice and big, and it gives Takanuva a very powerful look. It does spin in his hand, which I kinda like. It gives it that playability that any action figure needs The way that it has three prongs definitely catches my attention. It would not look as nice if it only had one weapon attached to it.

3179968001_42c2e1c10c.jpg

The only downside to the weapon is that it uses Lewa Phantoka's weapon. It still looks great because there are three, but I would have liked him better if he had his own weapon mold.....

Mask

3183268282_56f22233ee_m.jpg

This mask has more of the organic feel than his original mask, and other 2008 masks. The mask gives him a serious look that makes him look great! I love this mask!

3182431929_dbaeb2743a.jpg

This is the mask compared to his old mask. Compared to the other Mistika/Phantoka Toa masks, this one looks very similar to its original look. It is slightly bigger than a normal mask to compensate for his large size. Compared to his old mask, the only difference is that is is more form fitting, and it has a darker look to it because of the slanting of the eye-slits.

Finished Product

3179960313_710710ecf5_b.jpg

This guy is huge! He is much bigger than his nuva version, and even still bigger than any $20 set out now. The limbs are all comparable in proportion for an imposing figure like this, and to be able to support the weight of his weapons. His weapon is nice and big, adding to the powerful look, and I love how the kept his mask very similar to his original mask, and how pieces in the back support his limbs. That is a nice feature being added to many bionicle titans. All in all, he is one very nice looking set!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts: 8/10 (Some new pieces, but it includes the Exo-Toa pieces I ranted about earlier)

Price per part: 9/10 (Bionicle trying to get the price as high as possible...)

Playability: 9/10 (Good articulation and weight)

Color: 7/10 (Too much white.)

Overall: 82.5%

I thought it deserved more than that. It is still a great set and I would recommend it to anyone. It is a must get from the 2008 saga.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of My Attempts at Being Comical

3180799050_c7ddc854bb.jpg

Takanuva uses his powers of light to turn on my flash....Dang it, it woulda been such a nice picture!!

3180812142_44e27be89c.jpg

Hey Takanuva....., that is sooo 6 years ago.....

3180815950_b084e3eb4a.jpg

Matanui911 signing off till next time.

Nice review for a neat set :thumbup:

You just seem to have some problems with a couple of images :look:

LuxorV

Nice review, like it a lot... I once saw on BZPower that someone created a vehicle for his size!! I'm not joking...it was called Ussanui T-10 or something similar...???

Found it: Ussanui T-10

Toa Mata Nui

Edited by Toa Mata Nui