Commander_Rob

Republic Y-Wing Starfighter

indexed.gif

When I first heard of Y-Wings being in the new The Clone Wars Tv-series I thought that was a great idea, giving that classic Star Wars ship a deeper history.

Then I got the visual dictionary to the series and saw pictures of the ship. That inspired me to build it in Lego, long before the preliminary pictures of the official set showed up. I sued fragments from my Rebel Y-wing (Notably engines and part of the cockpit) and built the rest from scratch.

So here it is now in all its bricky goodness

4138251619_f4bfdb8708_o.jpg

4139015308_8888e5abc0_o.jpg

The empty spaces in the engines were "filled" with every round piece I could find.

4139016210_0779237e0e_o.jpg

4138251877_bcd73bf5de_o.jpg

I added these guns on the side for extra firepower and detailing, these are supposed to be Ion cannons.

4138251785_fc6554af8e_o.jpg

How the laser turret was done: the guns are held by magnets.

4138252181_89da125fd0_o.jpg

Bit of extra detailing on the engines.

4138252107_a9465b8fc1_o.jpg

Underside: there is landing gear that folds out, torpedo launchers and floodlights.

4139015842_f27bf04156_o.jpg

Comparison with V-Wing to give a sense of scale.

4138251709_66cc6d1fe7_o.jpg

Phase II pilots fly this fighter and operate the weapons with the assistance of an Astromech.

Brickshelf gallery when public.

Hope you like, please comment. :wink:

Edited by Commander_Rob

It's good, but needs a little changing. In the front, you definitely need to put a white shelf over the guns and remove the yellow, and that's pretty much it.

Good job! :thumbup:

That looks very good, better than TLCs design at least. The whole ship looks quite accurate, but if I have one quibble, its that the front looks kind of blocky and the wrong shape, and could use some modifying. Other than that, though, great MOC!

I just started watching the Clone Wars series the other day, and I really like your version.

The TLG version seems overall too yellow to me, though I haven't freeze-framed to compare :wink: It also seems massively disproportionate to the other craft in the line, whereas yours is a nice compromise. The back is especially good.

How do the magnets hold? Do they move around a bit, or are they fixed in position?

Nice! It's really accurate, albeit the turret is a little bit, but it's so clever that that doesn't matter. :wub:

07turret.detail.jpg

How the laser turret was done: the guns are held by magnets.

Brilliance. :wub:

You've done better than TLG with this MOC Commander Rob. I think you captured the overall blockiness of the Republic Y-wing excellently! In particular I like the back end and engines, although the front could do with a little work. The ball turret design is genius, I might have to borrow it for up coming MOCs (with credit where it's due of course :sweet: ).

That´s a really nice MOC, with some great building techniques.

Great idea with the magnets. :thumbup:

Seconded.

Mind if I steal lend the idea? :grin:

That turret techniuqe is cleverly ingenious! Great solution to the problem facing all the CW Y-wing MOC makers! Great job with the turret and the rest of the ship too!

Thanks for the replies everybody, whoever wants to use the turret design (or variations) may do so if credit it given.

Thanks also for the suggestions, I might incorporate them into future redesigns.

And about the colours: The Y-Wing Anakin and Ahsoka fly has a paintjob that greatly differs from that on the fighters of the clone pilots, my MOC has a mix of both, mostly due to the limited supply off parts I had handy and some artistic licence.

I love this set :thumbup:

But a little hint from me (like th others did before..): It looks a bit squeezed, so if you can added some pieces, that it will looks longer will be nice.

But apart from that, it is a really nice creation, which look's more ''LEGO'' than the upcoomingv ersion!

Greetings 'Bricks'

Lovely moc. I love those engines but the guns on the front dont look that good apart from that this ship looks really good.