Vincent Cheung

Space Ship - Yamato

My first work in 2009!!

It spent me 40 hours in 10 nights, built after work.

Being pushed by a AFOL gathering in Hongkong. :tongue:

It measures about 1.1m long.

The internal structure is built with technic bricks and is made empty to reduce its weight so as to make it portable.

Hope you enjoy my work!

Regards,

Vincent

fvin_yamato_01.jpg

fvin_yamato_02.jpg

fvin_yamato_03.jpg

fvin_yamato_04.jpg

fvin_yamato_05.jpg

fvin_yamato_06.jpg

fvin_yamato_07.jpg

fvin_yamato_08.jpg

fvin_yamato_09.jpg

fvin_yamato_00.jpg

Edited by Vincent Cheung

wow, awesome work man.

two thumbs up. :thumbup: :thumbup:

how you managed to design it?

would you mind show us the frame inside?

Simply incredible and unbelievable by the sheer size of this mocs. Is this supposed to be from an anime from Gundam? I supposed this could be another alternative for UCS ISD and Venator for our Star Wars fan. Nevertheless, one of the most impressive ultra large size creations ever since. :thumbup:

Vincent, thanks for sharing it with us, and I do hope you could share with our members with your upcoming HK LEGO show. :blush:

:oh: Wow, that's amazing *huh* . So detail-ey. :tongue: Absolutelay amazing. Fantastic job. :thumbup: :thumbup:

~Peace

That's stunning work! :wub: I do have one question; where's the Wave Motion Gun gun up front? Am I missing it, or is this a version that doesn't have it?

51WDG3E1R9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg250px-Yamato_ani.jpg

There have been other LEGO Space Battleship Yamato's before, even one that is larger, but this one is my new favorite because of how you have used different slope to recreate the shapes in a masterful way.

I would have liked fewer studs on the sides of the hull, but apart from that, it's just brilliant.

I can see it isn't everybody who knows about this show... or search engines :tongue:

Beautiful work. I really like the way you incorporated TLC stickers into the design. I also wondered about the wave-motion gun but given the awesome scale perhaps that is too minor a quibble. :classic:

An impressive work and a very fine rendition of that iconic space battleship, smooth, elegant and full of details. Wonderful! :thumbup:

Only 40 hours?! :oh3: Wow.

:wub:

I really like all the bley greebly stuff (guns?), although I don't know anything about the actual ship, not being a sci-fi fan myself, but it sure looks cool!

The sticky-out bley prong-things (I really don't understand all this space stuff) look great, and help to break up what could have been a slightly dull shape - but nevertheless impressive - into a mass of loveliness (did any of that make any sense? :grin:).

My only suggestion is that - speaking from an aesthetic perspective rather than an accuracy one - a few tiles here and there could have broken up the stud pattern on the sides, to make it more interesting.

I'm amazed! :thumbup:

I'm not familiar with the source, but this is a brilliant MOC in its own right. The detailing is superb and the overall balance of the weighting (in visual terms) of the various elements is very well done!

Thanks for sharing and God Bless,

Nathan

This is truly impressive I love it and it's huge. Seeming as I don't know anything about Gundam or where ever this is from could I just ask is this meant to be some sort of flying sub or just a normal water one? Good luck with the show :thumbup:

Edited by Skipper 24

o0

oo

That is one of the best anime inspired MOCs I have ever seen. It looks just like the source!

In awe.

Dayumn.

Thanks for your reply!

wow, awesome work man.

two thumbs up. :thumbup: :thumbup:

how you managed to design it?

would you mind show us the frame inside?

The skeleton is the key to build before the out-look of the battleship is polished up. The skeleton does take me few times to try out.

Sorry, I didn't take photos during my build, but if I will de-part this ship sometime later, I will take a final shot.... :tongue:

Simply incredible and unbelievable by the sheer size of this mocs. Is this supposed to be from an anime from Gundam? I supposed this could be another alternative for UCS ISD and Venator for our Star Wars fan. Nevertheless, one of the most impressive ultra large size creations ever since. :thumbup:

Vincent, thanks for sharing it with us, and I do hope you could share with our members with your upcoming HK LEGO show. :blush:

Yes, it is from a Japanese anime, I think it was almost 20 years ago....

The Lego fans gathering in HK was just done last Sat, it is a pleasant time for over 100 members to cheer up with Lego and food. :classic:

I am also very happy to be able to bring this huge stuff successfully to the venue without excessive damage...... :tongue:

Wow! That's amazing

If you go to Lego 40K and create an account under the name Vincent Cheung I will make you an Admin!

Thanks for your invitation. I think I am not a good admin, but I will do my best to post more my MOCs in this forum in the near future. :classic:

:oh: Wow, that's amazing *huh* . So detail-ey. :tongue: Absolutelay amazing. Fantastic job. :thumbup: :thumbup:

~Peace

Thank you! This work is probably the best one out of my previous MOCs. But it is a difficult beginning to plan the ship size and build method. I learnt a lot during this build and very happy to see the outcome.

That's stunning work! :wub: I do have one question; where's the Wave Motion Gun gun up front? Am I missing it, or is this a version that doesn't have it?

51WDG3E1R9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg250px-Yamato_ani.jpg

Yes, you're right. I didn't make the "wave motion gun" upfront as I don't like this much.

Yet, to build a complete model with the original one, I probably will do the final version with this wave motnion gun sometime later and add in blue LEDs. :classic:

Yes, it is from a Japanese anime, I think it was almost 20 years ago....

The Lego fans gathering in HK was just done last Sat, it is a pleasant time for over 100 members to cheer up with Lego and food. :classic:

I am also very happy to be able to bring this huge stuff successfully to the venue without excessive damage...... :tongue:

Glad to know that the gathering is a success and transporting this mega creation to the exhibiting area. :thumbup: I must admit that this mocs of yours have left many others jaws wide open. :tongue:

This is an unbelievable MOC. Great job. :thumbup:

It humbles my skills more on every photo. :grin:

Thanks! The photos are taken well, all credits to my wife! Otherwise the ship is just a large piece of blurish dark gray stuff...... :tongue:

brilliant work, love the dark grey on the red and the intricate detail, can't flaw it

Yes, I also love very much this color scheme by the original Yamato.

Of course, Lego has these colors with great supply of different kind of components, which helps the success of this work. :classic:

it's unbelievable. Can't find words to describe this fantastic build...

I'm jealous :cry_sad:

haha, thanks. I also can't believe I can build this one out. You know what, I want to build this Yamato for a year already, but without any actual plan / draft work out.

Now I need to think about how to store this huge stuff at my small home.... :tongue:

The greatest thing ever. I love it. It just needs a lot of little fighters flying around in space blowing up space railways.

Yes, good idea!

There have been other LEGO Space Battleship Yamato's before, even one that is larger, but this one is my new favorite because of how you have used different slope to recreate the shapes in a masterful way.

I would have liked fewer studs on the sides of the hull, but apart from that, it's just brilliant.

I can see it isn't everybody who knows about this show... or search engines :tongue:

Well, that Yamato in BS was super huge and takes years to build. I think I will be killed by "someone" at the very beginning if I try to build a similar one....... :tongue:

I like this size, portable and detail enough, although not up to minifig's scale. Nevertheless, this is just a scale I can afford with my present amount of bricks. :sceptic:

I also want to try to place tiles for whole ship, but I just can't have so many tiles as I want................ :wacko: It is very expensive to play Lego in HongKong.........

Beautiful work. I really like the way you incorporated TLC stickers into the design. I also wondered about the wave-motion gun but given the awesome scale perhaps that is too minor a quibble. :classic:

Yes, it just happened that I found some curve parts with TSL stickers on it, so why not using them to decorate a little bit?! :laugh:

In next version, I think I will add in the wave-motion gun delighted with blue LEDs. I think this would be the final version.

That unbelievably awesome build.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

An impressive work and a very fine rendition of that iconic space battleship, smooth, elegant and full of details. Wonderful! :thumbup:

Thanks. It is the first time for me to build a battleship, it is out of my expectation that this work is successful and get so much attention. This gives me so much energy to do my next MOC. :laugh:

Only 40 hours?! :oh3: Wow.

:wub:

I really like all the bley greebly stuff (guns?), although I don't know anything about the actual ship, not being a sci-fi fan myself, but it sure looks cool!

The sticky-out bley prong-things (I really don't understand all this space stuff) look great, and help to break up what could have been a slightly dull shape - but nevertheless impressive - into a mass of loveliness (did any of that make any sense? :grin:).

My only suggestion is that - speaking from an aesthetic perspective rather than an accuracy one - a few tiles here and there could have broken up the stud pattern on the sides, to make it more interesting.

I'm amazed! :thumbup:

Thanks SlyOwl! It is you bring me to this great forum. Thanks! I enjoy the sharing here. The response rate from members of this forum is really great. :laugh:

Yes, you're right. Some tiles could be used to pattern this ship. In fact, I did for a little region at the middle body of the ship. But i think it can be extended to other regions as well as long as it is not over. Thanks!!

I'm not familiar with the source, but this is a brilliant MOC in its own right. The detailing is superb and the overall balance of the weighting (in visual terms) of the various elements is very well done!

Thanks for sharing and God Bless,

Nathan

Thanks. The original reference design is excellent and catched my eyes. In fact, I just built this with Lego only. The credits should go to the original designer.

To resolve the limitations of Lego pieces, some variations have to be done with this work though, I am happy to know you feel it is balanced and well done! :grin:

Awesome work in such little time, i bet you're going to steel the show over there! :thumbup:

Thanks. This work can draw the attention among members, they like my work and so as me. This is probably one of my most successful MOCs since I returned to Lego for 2 years.

This is truly impressive I love it and it's huge. Seeming as I don't know anything about Gundam or where ever this is from could I just ask is this meant to be some sort of flying sub or just a normal water one? Good luck with the show :thumbup:

There are two Yamato ships, one is from anime describing it the Yamoto space battleship. The original one is in WWII where Yamato battle ship is named in history.

This one is the space battleship Yamato, I like building space / mecha quite much though........ :grin:

o0

oo

That is one of the best anime inspired MOCs I have ever seen. It looks just like the source!

In awe.

Thanks. I am really happy with you guys support for this kind of MOCs. This really gives me good support to build more and improve my skills further. :classic:

Glad to know that the gathering is a success and transporting this mega creation to the exhibiting area. :thumbup: I must admit that this mocs of yours have left many others jaws wide open. :tongue:

Well, yes. My friends as well as some members are surprised I built such a huge ship to the gathering............ :tongue:

Although it takes me much energy to bring the ship to the gathering venue, it worths though! haha.......

Dear Vincent,

that is really a great MOC! :thumbup::classic:

I don't know anything about these anime/cartoons.

But I think you really captured the essence of the ship.

I agree with Slyowl that some more tiling on the studs and maybe some additional small greebles,

like is on the bandai model, will make it look even better.

Keep up the nice work!

Kind regards,

Teddy