Klaus-Dieter

Preferred new historical theme

Preferred new historical theme  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Which new historical theme would you like to see?

• Stone Age
    • Egypts
    • Greeks without fantasy
    • Greeks
    • Romans without fantasy
    • Romans
    • Jungle folk
    • Incas/Mayas/Aztecs
    • Incas/Mayas/Aztecs and conquerors
    • Wild West
    • Ghost Town
    • Indians
    • Mexicans
    • Other

Great poll Kluas :thumbup:

This was a tough dessicion but I voted for Greeks mainly because I have dreamed for a mythology line for aaaages! :cry_happy: And greek mythology is some of the best! :thumbup:

Ghost town was my second vote! I would buy the whle theme if I could and it came out :wub:

I voted greek because i can just image so many cool figs and sets. A battle of troy would be good with and odysseus and the other leaders.

I would switch that to "It's a legend and also a bit of history" :tongue:

Just joking! I think it's a great idea. :thumbup: In a Atlantis theme we would be able to get a mix of different mythologies, although most likely Greece. I also think, if not used as an own, that Atlantis could be a great sub-theme for the Adventure theme.

Well, you got me going Ptrickvdmeer. I came up with another historical/legend theme (that has indeed been discussed earlier but not in this thread): Arabian Nights! :wub:

That would be a great theme with sultans, genies, robbers and lots of buildings with fantastic architecture. A lot of important molds are already existing like the scimitar, turban and the onion dome. It would also be a good move from LEGO to help fighting all the islamophobia that seems to have struck the world. :hmpf_bad:

Nice, you forgot the camels and magic carpets :tongue:

Well, you got me going Ptrickvdmeer. I came up with another historical/legend theme (that has indeed been discussed earlier but not in this thread): Arabian Nights! :wub:

That would be a great theme with sultans, genies, robbers and lots of buildings with fantastic architecture. A lot of important molds are already existing like the scimitar, turban and the onion dome. It would also be a good move from LEGO to help fighting all the islamophobia that seems to have struck the world. :hmpf_bad:

"Arabian Nights" as a new Lego adventure/historical theme for kids?! :laugh: You supposably wanted to write Arabian knights, didn't you?! :wink:

All joling apart: That's a brilliant idea, Etzel! :thumbup: I really would like to see some Arabic knights, too, since this would be some totally new, different and more exciting than always only European knights (although they're great neverthless).

But since I excluded the Castle theme of that poll I didn't gave/give you a voting option for Ninja, Arabic knights, ... since they all would belong to the Castle theme. And in the topic where CopMike presented us that TLG wants our ideas for a new theme they extra escented that it we shouldn't write some proposals for new Castle themes. So :sceptic: . I think that TLG will (regrettably) continue the fantasy area in the Castle area in 2010 and even in 2011. So there'd be no chance for a new Castle theme.

Great poll Kluas :thumbup:

This was a tough dessicion but I voted for Greeks mainly because I have dreamed for a mythology line for aaaages! :cry_happy: And greek mythology is some of the best! :thumbup:

Ghost town was my second vote! I would buy the whle theme if I could and it came out :wub:

Thank you very much, hollisbrick! :sweet:

I must say that I'm really surprised about that so many people are voting for Greeks (with and without fantasy) - I would have bet that Greeks will be one of the themes which will get the fewest votes.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I must say that I'm really surprised about that so many people are voting for Greeks (with and without fantasy) - I would have bet that Greeks will be one of the themes which will get the fewest votes.

It shows what mythology geeks many of us are. :wink:

Besides, the Greek myths are really intriguing once you get into them! They're like the first soap opera series in the world! :grin:

It shows what mythology geeks many of us are. :wink:

Besides, the Greek myths are really intriguing once you get into them! They're like the first soap opera series in the world! :grin:

Agreed, Greek mythology is awesome!

But I think they are more like the first 'supernatural' series instead of a soap opera. :wink:

To be honest, I think I would prefer a historical Greek theme, perhaps focusing on the war between Athens and Sparta. A Greek mythology based them would be great too, of course.

I voted for Incas/Mayas/Aztecs and conquerors, though, which could perhaps have figures like this one fighting off Spanish invaders.

It seems that Greek mythology is the majority here. I too would be really into this theme, but there is just one problem - How would it be split into factions? LEGO seems to feel the need to put conflict in every set recently, but the "Viking" man vs beast angle lasted only a very short time. To easily solve this problem, I think there should be an "ancient" theme with the various factions as different civilisations. They could start off with Greeks and Romans, then could introduce "barbarians" (eg celts, huns, goths etc), egyptians, persians (with WAR ELEPHANTS YEAH!), even Chinese/Japanese factions. The possibilities are endless.

But I think they are more like the first 'supernatural' series instead of a soap opera. :wink:

Then you mustn't have read the myths properly. There's love, war, family feuds, betrayal, sex, infidelity, crime and everything that a good soap opera contains. Brothers marry their sisters, fathers make love to their daughters, people change partners like togas, and there's gay pairings too.

The monsters are just there to spice things up even further, and it's no different in their cases either: almost every monster mentioned is related to each other (as a great example, the snake-like monster Echidna gives birth to the winged horse Pegasus and the two-headed dog Orthros, among others).

I don't know what the people who told these myths had taken, but they obviously had inhaled something besides oxygen. :tongue:

Dear all,

from the results of the poll I would guess that the Roman era has the most votes overall (with/without fantasy).

Although a Greek based theme is also fine with me ofcourse, maybe with some Babylonians in there as well. :wub:

kind regards,

Teddy

I think the jungle folk would be cool because you could get some new hair pieces and come new weapons and tools too. Also, there will probably new animals involved which would be great too.

Out,

Dan

Great topic Klaus-Dieter!

Well, my vote could be considered not being objective because of the fact that i'm from Greece, but i too think that an ancient greek theme would be great.

There is a vast amount of sub-stories, incidents, elements, characters,structures, buildings, monuments and myths that could be used due to the timeline that involves.

If TLC wouldn't want to be history accurate in terms of combining different periods together, beginning from the late period of Minoan Civilization (approx. 1700 BC) and ending in the Roman occupation (146 BC) , with the addition of mythology the variety of ideas that TLC could use is huge.

Then you mustn't have read the myths properly. There's love, war, family feuds, betrayal, sex, infidelity, crime and everything that a good soap opera contains. Brothers marry their sisters, fathers make love to their daughters, people change partners like togas, and there's gay pairings too.

So, i guess that greeks have invented even soap opera... :tongue:

The monsters are just there to spice things up even further, and it's no different in their cases either: almost every monster mentioned is related to each other (as a great example, the snake-like monster Echidna gives birth to the winged horse Pegasus and the two-headed dog Orthros, among others).

You 're right about that. Most of the monsters that mythology provides have their back story and what a great thing to see some of those in a Lego form (like Minotaur for example.)

I don't know what the people who told these myths had taken, but they obviously had inhaled something besides oxygen. :tongue:

:laugh::tongue:

The Delphic Oracle was the place to be :tongue: .Actually, the majority of the monsters or incidents that involved monsters or superficial facts, are the interpretation of the things that people didn't know why were there or afraid of, or were not in a position to explain.

P.S

Even my signature shows the way to TLC.

I've voted for Romans without Fantasy!

Because it would be great to see, some fantastic sets from the Roman Empire. Lego could make helmets with a little hole (like some hair pieces have) to push a red irkose hair in the helmet, like this:

roman_helmet.jpg

These would be my favourite sets:

-A part of the Colloseum with some GLadiator's and lions...

-A galley with soldiers

-Roman Battlepacks

-The emperor and his senat (with a table and maps and some wine-bottles)

Greetings Bricks

I would definitely love to see a Greek Mythology theme. :thumbup: The subject has always interested me, and I even did a few MOCs of it (Elements, IJ contest entry). Even a Hercules theme would work. I have doubts about this becoming a theme, though, since kids these days aren't really interested in that kind of stuff. Pirates, Castle, and Star Wars are the big ones where I live, and I doubt an 8-year old will be saying "Mommy, Mommy, look! It's Ceberus from the Greek tales!!". :sceptic:

We can always dream, though. :thumbup:

If LEGO designed a colliseum set, I think that there should only be a small section of it, but with technic holes in the sides and a few spare connectors so you could buy something like six copies, then join them together to make a complete circle. It'd be a good tactic for leaving the one slot for a $100 set to something else, like a Roman trireme.

I voted Other, as I'd like to see a Crusades theme. As long as neither side was excessively portrayed as the 'bad guys' it would turn out great. Apart from that, I'd really like either Greek fantasy or Ancient Egypt.

Edited by hewkii9

I voted Other, as I'd like to see a Crusades theme. As long as neither side was excessively portrayed as the 'bad guys' it would turn out great. Apart from that, I'd really like either Greek fantasy or Ancient Egypt.

I'm not sure how well that would work, there usually needs to be the great hero and his allies fighting the obviously bad guys with the dark color scheme. :sceptic:

Again thank you all very much for your many votes and comments! :sweet:

101 votes until now - that's brilliant to see so many people being interested in this topic! :thumbup:

I've voted for Romans without Fantasy!

Because it would be great to see, some fantastic sets from the Roman Empire. Lego could make helmets with a little hole (like some hair pieces have) to push a red irkose hair in the helmet, like this:

roman_helmet.jpg

These would be my favourite sets:

-A part of the Colloseum with some GLadiator's and lions...

-A galley with soldiers

-Roman Battlepacks

-The emperor and his senat (with a table and maps and some wine-bottles)

Greetings Bricks

These are aweome ideas, Bricks! :thumbup:

I really would like to see (and of course even buy) all of your proposed sets :wub: - if TLG doesn't add some fantasy elements to them!

The idea for the helmet with the hole is great, too!

Then TLG could not only put in this hole a irokese hair (from the back to the front) in this helmet but even a hair which goes from the left to the right side! :thumbup:

Great topic Klaus-Dieter!

Thanks, Zobras! :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I'm not sure how well that would work, there usually needs to be the great hero and his allies fighting the obviously bad guys with the dark color scheme. :sceptic:

Sure one side can have a dark color scheme, but as long as it's not mentioned specifically in product descriptions like 'The evil Saracens have taken the king hostage!' I'm sure it'd be perfectly fine. Lego can't be boycotted by groups over a color scheme.

Isn't Crusaders a Castle subtheme? It sounds great to me anyway. Maybe the brave crusaders cn protect the pilgrims against the robbers?

I voted for Western. Indians is also Western I think. But when LEGO decides to re-release this theme, I hope they do a better job than they did with the Pirates. That looked way too <insert that tiresome argument>.

But Romans and Greeks sounds also great. How about a fortified gate together with the Troyan horse? :cry_happy:

Looks like the Greeks and Romans have over 50% of the responses. Romans in the lead by quite a bit.

Either of those periods would be lots of fun. I don't expect it anytime by the lego company however. I'm just not sure kids today are as engrossed in ancient greek mythology as we were when we were young. They seem to have their own mythology altogether. Seems to me that kids are more involved in current Japanese mythology like Pokemon, Dragonball Z, etc.

Again thank you all very, very much for your many votes and great comments! :sweet::thumbup:

I think it's now time to dare announce a result of this poll with some personal comments of me:

Stone Age

Like you can see when looking at the votes it's not a very demanded theme.

I even think that it wouldn't be that a good theme since it would only offer very few sets: a cave with fireplacce, a mammoth hunt and perhaps some little sets as addition. But what would you then do with them?! Of course it would be surely great to see some Stone Age related sets (TLG could even not release some sets of the Old Stone Age - but even some of the New Stone Age with some huts and fields). But think about TLG's point of view: The main audience of (not excusvie) Lego sets buyers are JFOLs. And what shall they do with some Stone Age people and mammoth. Plus TLG is supposably interested to release not only some very few sets but (about a period of some years) a lot of sets.

For these reasons I don't think that TLG is going to release a Stone Age theme in 2011 - and persumably even not at any point in the future.

Egypts :wub:

I wonder that only very few people voted for this theme.

But the chance with this theme is that you can combine it with a possible Roman theme (like Playmobil did)!

TLG released a lot of amazing Egyptian buildings and monuments in the Adventure sets in the late 90ths. And they seemed to sell very well. And the Playmobil Egypt sets seem to sell very well, too.

Because of this reasons I could well imagine TLG releasing a new Eqypt theme - persumably not in 2011 but surely some time after that.

Greeks with and without fantasy

I

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention the results of this poll (until now)! :blush:

The "Top-4-positions" are:

1. Romans with and without fantasy - :wub:

2. Greeks with and without fantasy

3. Western and/or Ghost Town - :wub::wub:

4. Incas/Mayas/Aztecs with or without conqueros

Comments are welcome! :sweet:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Another possible small Western set: the Pony Express. With some riders, some horses and an office.