KimT

Clarification and discussion of price ranting

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Mkay...

Here goes:

I've stated this before, but I think I need to clarify what I mean:

With price ranting I mean outbursts and rants on the price of a set in an agrresive and unconstructive manner.

We can all agree that since Star Wars is a licensed theme, the price is somewhat higher than other non-licensed sets.

I can easily accept people thinking and saying that a set is too expensive, I am a collector and I hate paying loads of money for a small and (sometimes) crappy set.

I just wont allow a review or discussion on future sets to turn into a bunch of fans with torches and pitchforks yelling "Buuurn TLG buuurn".

The prices are very different around the world (for what I'd call "unknown and unfair reasons).

So whenever you (the users) comment on prices, be aware of how you do it, you might just offend some poor Asian, who has to pay close to triple your price.

We've got an expensive hobby, but I'd still prefer to discuss the sets, rather than the price of the sets.

Feel free to continue any discussion on pricing and my actions concerning price discussion in this topic.

Your ever happy Moderator

Kim :sweet:

Well my thought on price rants is this: Why do it? It's not like a small bunch of extreme fans are going to change TLG's mind. Even if it's everyone saying it, they'll all be extremists, and we'll buy it anyways! Plus, all prices are different, so deal with it.

Of course, the only exception to this rule in my opinion would be a thousand dollar 67 piece set. :laugh:

Of course, the only exception to this rule in my opinion would be a thousand dollar 67 piece set. :laugh:

That would without any doubt allow serious ranting and even the flaming pitchforks. :laugh:

Thank you KimT for this clearification.

And may I suggest to SNIP all messages containing price ranting. It will greatly improve the readibility of the threads and save me reading through 3 pages of frustration.

Once again a big THANK YOU.

1. Death Star: now that £ costs 1.05 €, the Death Star costs less than 300€ in UK. When will the prices be lowered in Euroland (400€ for a Death Star!!!)?

2. Clone Wars sets: they are beautiful and clearly aimed to AFOLs, then too much expensive for the real cartoon public, children. Lego should design most <insert that tiresome argument> and far less expensive CW sets. For example, the V-Torrent, P-38 or TX-130S needn't be that complexe nor that big. Of course, we can still reduce their size by redesigning them, but the economic result is that even if Lego wins smart amount of money for fewer sold sets, they could earn as much money while satisfying more people by selling more less-expensive sets. CW sets needn't to be as big and complex as they're are now.

Well, I would go insane if it was $1,000,000 for a 30 piece set.

1. Death Star: now that £ costs 1.05 €, the Death Star costs less than 300€ in UK. When will the prices be lowered in Euroland (400€ for a Death Star!!!)?

2. Clone Wars sets: they are beautiful and clearly aimed to AFOLs, then too much expensive for the real cartoon public, children. Lego should design most <insert that tiresome argument> and far less expensive CW sets. For example, the V-Torrent, P-38 or TX-130S needn't be that complexe nor that big. Of course, we can still reduce their size by redesigning them, but the economic result is that even if Lego wins smart amount of money for fewer sold sets, they could earn as much money while satisfying more people by selling more less-expensive sets. CW sets needn't to be as big and complex as they're are now.

You defeated the purpose of this thread.

KimT's saying NO PRICE RANTING!

not PRICE RANT HERE

You defeated the purpose of this thread.

KimT's saying NO PRICE RANTING!

not PRICE RANT HERE

... I'm going to translate "to rant" in my dictionary...

... Am I ranting here? It's just a natural French way of speaking. (The feeling must come from the "!!!" and the bold letters.) :hmpf_bad:

Mkay...

Here goes:

With price ranting I mean outbursts and rants on the price of a set in an agrresive and unconstructive manner.

We can all agree that since Star Wars is a licensed theme, the price is somewhat higher than other non-licensed sets.

I can easily accept people thinking and saying that a set is too expensive, I am a collector and I hate paying loads of money for a small and (sometimes) crappy set.

I just wont allow a review or discussion on future sets to turn into a bunch of fans with torches and pitchforks yelling "Buuurn TLG buuurn".

The prices are very different around the world (for what I'd call "unknown and unfair reasons).

So whenever you (the users) comment on prices, be aware of how you do it, you might just offend some poor Asian, who has to pay close to triple your price.

We've got an expensive hobby, but I'd still prefer to discuss the sets, rather than the price of the sets.

Feel free to continue any discussion on pricing and my actions concerning price discussion in this topic.

Looks like I have to quote myself to ensure that you guys actually read the previous posts in a topic. :hmpf:

Yeah man, Judge KimT sez: I AM THE LAW!

Quite rightly so, too. It's about time someone made this point. Thanks KimT.

(for what I'd call "unknown and unfair reasons)

Say "local market forces" instead. It's totally true and has the added bonus of being suitably vague, yet impressively economical.

I dont mind the odd rant now and then, but when it just becomes a constant whinge it becomes just another post I don't bother to read.

As KimT and others have said before me it is an expensive hobby. If you can't afford all the sets you want then choose wisely or budget accordingly and wait for sales. (like I do)

If its a set you can't live without, you will find a way to purchase it. TLC is a global company that has costs to pay to produce sets/pay staff/ and make a profit on top of all that/and compete in many markets for a market share. Based on this and other factors I am not privy to they arrive upon a recommended retail price. Deal with it how you choose.

Cheers

:classic:

Can I complain about prices when compairing to the same region? Like for no reason a set here in Hawaii is now (and different stores are this high. I'm using TRU but even WalMart just changed their pricing higher) is $8-15 higher than that on the mainland? An example is like the C.Dooku Solar Sailer set. When my TRU gets it, it'll be $67.99. The same set on the mainland TRU it's $59.99. TRU said it's due to shipping to Hawaii. Well, that would be true about 5 months ago when gas was @$4.80 for regular. Now its down to $2.70. So it's not due to shipping cost. That kind of price markup is like if I ordered it online from Lego.com. But I'm sure when they order multiple boxs and load it on a Matson container, it'll be like ALOT less than that.

I understand price between here in other regions will be different so I can see your point. But $17 markup is a bit high. And when the LEGO RC racer is $45.99 here and on the mainland it's $41.00. Ok, so wheres the increased "shipping" on that?

Ok. I'll stop. But you can see why I would rant. :)

Edited by starstreak

....some poor Asian, who has to pay close to triple your price.

I think that's the case with our Taiwanese friends. I shipped over some AT-TE sets to him for Christmas because they were so darned expensive over there. I suppose the price discrepancies have to do with trade tariffs and distribution issues.

I really envy people from the western countries like USA, Aussie Uk and so on. Being in south east asia, I can see the change in price. What we pay for lego in singapore is twice the amount you pay in USA. Although I would like to complain, people in countries like Malaysia are paying thrice the amount you guys pay. Although I love lego, it is really a hard hobby to live with. But I still love it! :classic:

But I still love it! :classic:

Well you'll love it even more when the new LEGOLAND opens in Malaysia in a couple of years.

I'll be in Singapore on April 3rd - anywhere good to hunt out LEGO? I'm really just after a couple of foreign catalogues, so any tips would be good.

While I am not going to get into a debate over pricing in this country or that one. Keep in mind is that Lego bricks and plates are made from ABS plastic.

ABS plastic is made from, in part, oil. Oil prices rise, Lego prices rise!! Period!! Include the fact that there is a Star Wars logo in the package and you will pay a premium for it!

Production of 1 kg of ABS requires the equivalent of about 2 kg of oil for raw materials and energy!! Do the math.

Now, prices this year are alot higher then the sets last year. Even The Clone Wars sets had a decent price hike on them.

The lead time to get set made, packaged, and shipped is probably around 4 to 6 months, correct me if I am wrong. So right now we are paying for pieces manufactured, in or around, June/ July, when prices were higher. The prices we are seeing for the late 2009 sets are high.

The thing I am interested to see is if the current pricing will stay the same or come down with the 2010 sets. Now that oil prices are down likely to stay!!

I think oil prices may also play a part in country pricing, but, I don't know!!

Bottom line, they play a big part in pricing. Do some research and you will see.

Jamie

I really envy people from the western countries like USA, Aussie Uk and so on. Being in south east asia, I can see the change in price. What we pay for lego in singapore is twice the amount you pay in USA. Although I would like to complain, people in countries like Malaysia are paying thrice the amount you guys pay. Although I love lego, it is really a hard hobby to live with. But I still love it! :classic:

Well. Not that we really pay thrice the amount here. We just pay the converted amount of what you guys over there (Singapore) pay.

The only plus side is that in Singapore they sometimes have LEGO sales which offer better discounts than the ones over here in Malaysia like the Republic Gunship which I bought over there for RM 250 less.

Yeah it's a pricey hobby like I Scream Clone said, we just have to choose the ones we like and work hard towards achieving the sets we want.

To LEGOscum: You can try hunting at BricksWorld stores. Just Google it up and you can find where they are located in Singapore. Happy Hunting ! :classic:

Yay! Stash2sixx directed me to this topic and I have been waiting for this! :tongue:

First of all, I want to clarify that:

$50 for the Defender is a joke!

The set only has 304 pieces! In my mind, this should be a $30 USD set. I also think that the ARC is $20 overpriced, (I think it should be $40, not $60), I will still buy it, pending on whether the visors are plastic or printed. Also, I am disappointed with the new $25 sets instead of the more affordable $20 sets...

I am especially not too fond of paying that $25 for a set that only has 177 pieces. I will still buy the Freeco though, if only for the Talz.

Well, I guess that this is all of the ranting I can think of right now; so I'll just have to wait until we find the prices for the summer sets! :laugh:

Edited by Clone Commander Assassin

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Mkay...

Here goes:

Did you read this?

(The first post of this topic).

Yay! Stash2sixx directed me to this topic and I have been waiting for this! :tongue:

First of all, I want to clarify that:

$50 for the Defender is a joke!

The set only has 304 pieces! In my mind, this should be a $30 USD set. I also think that the ARC is $20 overpriced, (I think it should be $40, not $60), I will still buy it, pending on whether the visors are plastic or printed. Also, I am disappointed with the new $25 sets instead of the more affordable $20 sets...

I am especially not too fond of paying that $25 for a set that only has 177 pieces. I will still buy the Freeco though, if only for the Talz.

Well, I guess that this is all of the ranting I can think of right now; so I'll just have to wait until we find the prices for the summer sets! :laugh:

Your prices are half of what I am paying.

Also, to add on KimT's post, how do you know that those are the actual prices of the sets? Amazon seems to have made the price of most of the 2010 sets higher than usual. For example, the battle packs are $15 USD, when they will probably be $11 USD. Just be patient and wait for the sets to actually come out before price ranting.

I find that the sets are not overpriced. If you think about the process each sets goes through (design, new parts, stickers/printed piece designs, box art, instructions, marketing, etc. all take about one year - maybe 3 or more for the larger exclusive sets), you will see that the sets are "expensive" for that reason. That, and the price of oil, as mentioned earlier in this topic.

Edited by ILikePi

Did you read this?

(The first post of this topic).

Your prices are half of what I am paying.

Yea, I read it. :blush: I guess I was referring to the American ratio per piece. (~$.10 per piece)

Anyway, compared to the prices of other SW sets, I think that the Freeco, TIE Defender, and the ARC are all overpriced.

And in response to ILikePi's post, I know that these prices are not final for TLG, but if you wish to get free shipping, you sometimes want to go Amazon. :wink:

Yea, I read it. :blush: I guess I was referring to the American ratio per piece. (~$.10 per piece)

Anyway, compared to the prices of other SW sets, I think that the Freeco, TIE Defender, and the ARC are all overpriced.

And in response to ILikePi's post, I know that these prices are not final for TLG, but if you wish to get free shipping, you sometimes want to go Amazon. :wink:

I'm not sure what it's like for other countries, but in the United States, the higher prices isn't something new. I think we were kind of spoiled with the $1 for 10 pieces or so that we got for quite a few years. I'm honestly not sure how Lego decides on their prices, it would honestly make more sense to base prices on weight rather than number of pieces, so you're actually paying for the amount of plastic that was molded. But like I said, I don't know if that's how they determine pricing. If you look back at sets in the catalogs from the mid 90's in the US, it was common for $50 sets to have 300 pieces, $100 sets have 600 pieces etc. It was only about the time that Star Wars came around that prices started dropping. Take the Century Skyway for example. First released in 1994 with 850 pieces that set sold for $109. The remake, sold in 2004, had 860 pieces and retailed for $90. I've read that Lego made some changes around the turn of the century, so that may have contributed to the lower prices I'm not sure, but like I said, the prices that we are seeing now are comparable to what they were in the mid to late 90's. Sure it's nice to have cheaper prices, but it's just something we have to deal with. Complaining about higher prices won't change them.

An answer from Steve from the Ambassador forum :classic: :
okay guys, while I understand things being expensive is frustrating, there is a very hard reality that you guys need to understand. When setting prices in various countries it is doen based on the entire market in that country for EVERY product from EVERY company. The pricing is set when a team of people look at everything in a country and decide that this is a fair price for us to charge in this country where we're able to make the proper margin on our products (which are very expensive to make mind you). Its for this reason why every country has different pricing.

If Hasbro is going to charge $30 for a product they charge $20 in the US, and $25 in Canada. If a dishwasher is $100 more expensive in Great Britain than it is in Germany. These trends don't generally limit themselves to just one brand or one type of product. The entire market of a country is set at certain levels and within these levels we set our prices accordingly to fit into what we're able to fairly charge in that country when compared to every other company out there. This is why 'Cost of Living' is higher or lower depending on what country you're from.

This is just the reality of global economics and its not something that is going to change, and honestly its not really as unfair as you guys think it is, its just the way it is. Its also an argument I'm NEVER going to win with fans, and I can't blame fans for not liking it.

When I was at BrickWorld doing my Q&A one of the questions I got was "why doesn't LEGO clearance products anymore?" my answer was "because you only clearance products that aren't selling and we're having no problem selling our products." Later this same person complained that they can't afford LEGO unless its on clearance. The hard answer there becomes that LEGO is a Premium product no matter where you are and its also expensive everywhere.

Prices will go up or down based on how well LEGO sells. If we're selling LEGO based on the market in a country and we're having no problem selling the product, it would be foolish to lower our prices. in many countries if we ever lowered our prices we wouldn't get any value from doing business in that country and would start losing money. this is where different import taxes, regulations, etc. come into play.

Someone commented that we're slow to answer this question, its mostly because its the toughest question to answer because I know no matter how I answer it, you're not going to like.

Anyways, here you are and I'm happy to follow up on this.

Steve