Ricecracker

Brickworld '09?

Are you going to Brickworld '09?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to Brickworld '09 as a fully paid attendee?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. Are you going to Brickworld '09 for the public days?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Hey, I am planning on going to Brickworld in Chicago this year, and was wondering what kind of atmosphere it is, as well as if people who have gone know if there were any full paying people under 20? Also, are any of you planning on bringing displays/MOCs? Thanks

-Ricecracker

List of people that have confirmed that they are going:

Eilif

Ricecracker

Stash2Sixx

Copmike

Hinckley

The Enigma That is Badger

Fallen Tomato

NewRight

The Brick Rat

(if you are definitely going, but your name is not on the list, please PM me, or post here :classic: )

Edited by Ricecracker

I live in the Chicago area and have attended the Brickworld event for the past two years, once as a visitor and once as a registered attendee. In regards to the atmosphere there, both times it was an incredibly vibrant, welcoming place with wall-to-wall amazing MOCs and talented builders happy to talk about their work and share building tips with anyone interested.

As for people under 20, while conventions do usually attract an older crowd in terms of registration, at Brickworld last year there were many younger registered attendees, not to mention hordes of younger builders on the public days. There's nothing about the event that a younger builder wouldn't enjoy or a parent/guardian would have concerns about.

If you can make it, I cannot strongly encourage you enough to make it out to the event. Posting online is fun, but conventions are an absolute joy. You get to see some fantastic MOCs in person and meet some amazing, friendly people, possibly making a few new friends in the process!

I'd also be remiss if I didn't also state several custom vendors, including BrickArms, often unveil new products and/or prototypes at conventions, some of which are sometimes even convention exclusives. Given Chicago is my home turf, Will and I are already working on plans to making Brickworld a very memorable experience for fans of BrickArms! :wink:

If you can make it, GO!

badger

Well, I am trying my darndest to make it either this year or next depending on how my finances are. Did I mention I live in Australia. So if my enthusiasm and Badgers stunning description aren't enough to convince you then I don't know what will. :classic:

Me & Hinckley is going bigtime! Hotel already booked, the Red Bull & beer is on ice and all the lifesize Fabuland costumes are ready :laugh:! This year is going to be the best!!! We have a lot of cool stuffed planned, both MOC´s and community stuff. We´re taking this to the next level!

END COMMERCIAL

Here´s a link with some stuff from last year.

Hope to see you there mate :thumbup:!

CopMike

Me & Hinckley is going bigtime! Hotel already booked, the Red Bull & beer is on ice and all the lifesize Fabuland costumes are ready :laugh:! This year is going to be the best!!! We have a lot of cool stuffed planned, both MOC´s and community stuff. We´re taking this to the next level!

END COMMERCIAL

Here´s a link with some stuff from last year.

Hope to see you there mate :thumbup:!

CopMike

It was fun, wasn't it? Say, didn't we win an award for this creation?

death_star_01.jpg

Oh right, this one...

death_star_18.jpg

:blush:

Can't wait and I really hope you guys will be able to make it!! I had tables built for this year's display. :sweet:

You know I was considering trying to make it this year, and perhaps bring some castle creations with me or something. Did I mention I live in New Zealand? Yeah, that sticks a bar in the wheels of my plan. :hmpf_bad:

I would love to be able to come along and meet some of you, as well as look at all the amazing creations that are on display, but I'd say this year I'll just have to observe from home and search the photo galleries as usual. It always looks like you have such fun! Maybe I will have saved up enough by 2010... :look:

Anyway, the moral of this story is that if you can go, then go, because you will regret it otherwise. I hate hearing of people who live close by and don't go, I mean, I would happily trade places with them! :grin:

Anyway, the moral of this story is that if you can go, then go, because you will regret it otherwise. I hate hearing of people who live close by and don't go, I mean, I would happily trade places with them! :grin:
Amen brother :grin:!

Didn´t Hinckley & CopMike win a prize? Oh yeah, that´s right ...... :tongue::wink:

death_star_18.jpg

Oh, you had already posted that Hinckley ......!

CopMike

I've been to both Brickworlds, '07 as a visitor and '08 as an attendee. Barring unforseen difficulties, I'll be at 09 also. I probably won't have my own display table for MOCs, but I should have a fundrasing/info table for a LEGO educational program that I am running in my neighborhood. Also, my Brickington Island Layout will be on display as part of the Northern Illinois LEGO Train Club's display.

All I can say is that if there is any way you can come, it is not to be missed. The environment is very friendly and encouraging. IIRC, there were quite a few attendees under 20, but for the most part they seemed mature, and I couldn't really tell the difference between those who were 18 and 19 and those who were 20 and 21. There were also a few under 18, but all attendees under 18 have to be accompanied by an adult the entire time.

Can't wait and I really hope you guys will be able to make it!! I had tables built for this year's display. :sweet:

Do you happen to know approximately how big of an area each attendee has to display MOCs?

I hate hearing of people who live close by and don't go, I mean, I would happily trade places with them! :grin:

I wouldn't really say that Toronto, Canada is close by. Although it is definately closer than New Zealand. :tongue:

Didn´t Hinckley & CopMike win a prize? Oh yeah, that´s right ...... :tongue::wink:

I didn't forget that, although I figured if I brought it up, there'd be alot of gloating going on.

And at Eilif: I do know that I will have to be accompanied by an adult, thanks though.

Thanks alot everyone!

-Ricecracker

Do you happen to know approximately how big of an area each attendee has to display MOCs?...

... And at Eilif: I do know that I will have to be accompanied by an adult, thanks though.

-Ricecracker

I don't recall exactly how they gave out space. Supposedly those who register earlier have first dibs on a full table. They seemed to be able to find space for everyone though. Some folks had half of a table, some had a whole table, and some individuals managed to get much more for their large displays. What were you thinking of bringing?

Also, don't let anyone at BW look down at you for your age. I seem to remember that at BW '08, the winining MOC for Mecha Mecha was under 18.

I don't recall exactly how they gave out space. Supposedly those who register earlier have first dibs on a full table. They seemed to be able to find space for everyone though. Some folks had half of a table, some had a whole table, and some individuals managed to get much more for their large displays. What were you thinking of bringing?

Also, don't let anyone at BW look down at you for your age. I seem to remember that at BW '08, the winining MOC for Mecha Mecha was under 18.

Thanks for your support Eilif! I am planning on bringing a 64x48 MOC, and medium sized RAMM display, a 32x24 MOC, and possibly a 16x32 MOC, with a DVD player (it's for an animated MOC)

You pretty much tell them how much space you need and you'll get it. Of course, there may be an extra charge for more space, but one table comes with all registrations. Check out the website for more details.

Brickworld '08 was amazing. I traveled all the way from Pennsylvania with some of my PennLUG buddies with this being my first Lego convention...and it didn't dissapoint. I loved every minute of it and met plenty of cool new people. Speaking of which, the atmosphere is very friendly and welcoming and people helping one another to set up. I was flattered and surprised when I received nominations for best train and best individual layout. Didn't win, but being nominated was an unexpected surprise.

There were a number of younger fans there, and there were some nice MOCs among them.

I'd really like to go again this year, but with having to take a college summer class and working I don't know if I'll really have the time or funds to make it. I definitely won't really have time to make anything new to bring, but I have some older things that I didn't bring last year.

But yes, if you get the chance I'd say go there. :classic:

At BrickWorld 08, there were lots of teenagers, and also a fair amount of kids. At the closing ceremony, there was an engraved brick given to the youngest registered attendee. There were a few dozen kids 10 and under, and there were even three 5-year-olds. The majority was adults, but there were plenty of kids and teenagers too. For pics, you can go to the official BrickWorld web site. www.brickworld.us, or search "BrickWorld" at BrickShelf. That should give you a bit of a feel of what it's like. As for the general atmosphere, everyone is really nice and friendly and happy to talk to other LEGO fans. It is obvious that they are all very passionate about LEGO and are having a great time. BrickWorld '08 (my first LEGO convention) was one of the best times of my life, and I am definately going back in 2009. If you can go, by all means, go! And bring money too, as there are vendors (BrickLink sellers with parts, minifigs, sets, etc., and even BrickForge and BrickArms!) and the local LEGO stores have sales, and there are literally over a hundred people waiting in line outside the stores before they open to get the good Pick-A-Brick parts and 50% off sets with damaged boxes. There were even 50% off UCS Millenium Falcons!

-ToF

I won't be able to go this year, but I definitely hope to in the near future. :thumbup:

It sounds like a blast. Have fun whoever is going!:classic:

I was hoping to make it out this year for the full event.

If not I will most likely go for the public days. :sceptic:

I'll be there this year, when I'm not working at the store. Hopefully, I would like to make some contributions this year, and since I've got 6 months...

I'll be there this year, when I'm not working at the store. Hopefully, I would like to make some contributions this year, and since I've got 6 months...

Make sure you get your shots before the damaged sale! Lord knows what you could contract from an AFOL bite! :wink:

badger

Shots. Got it.

And fresh batteries...I'm gettin pictures of people pushing, shoving, and battling their way through the doors this year. Especially big Swedes!!!!!

I'm gettin pictures of people pushing, shoving, and battling their way through the doors this year. Especially big Swedes!!!!!
What, what & the what - I so don´t know what you´re talking about :tongue:?!

CopMike

Sorry you can't go, but thanks for hoping we have fun! I'll be sure that you get at least some good coverage.

-Ricecracker

Allow me to gush about my amazing Brickworld experience.

Short version:

Brickworld is awesome! Everyone who can should go! :grin:

Long version:

I attended the public exhibition part in '07 and the full event in '08. Going to the public part was incredible in its own right, but attending the full conference was a life changing experience. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating :blush:, but honestly it was one of the coolest things I've ever done. Obviously it a great place to see MOCs and buy lego and all that, but what really makes it an awesome experience is the people. I joined EB because I met Hinckley there. I also had a great time with BrickMiner, Brickadier General and a number of other AFOLs. One night I went to the bar across the street and spent a couple hours drinking and talking with several TLG employees, including Matt Ashton, Jamie Berard and Steve Gerling, a guy from NetDevil (the company developing Lego Universe), and some other AFOLs. Words cannot describe the awesomeness that ensued. :sweet:

I didn't register until the last minute, so I wasn't able to reserve a table, but I participated in some of the collaborative displays and was able to find a friendly guy with some extra table space so I could set up my laptop with a DVD of some of my lego animations along with a few small MOCs.

2617937609_03cb80da9a.jpg

I think I probably drove Badger a little crazy since he was right next to me and therefore got to hear the soundtrack of my movies playing over and over again all weekend. :wink: Ever since Brickworld last year I have been planning for my display this year. And unlike last year, where I wasted a couple hours every day driving back and forth from my house to the convention, I will be getting a hotel room, the better to immerse myself in the awesomeness. :wub:

Long long version:

If you are really interested in my experience at Brickworld last year, you could read about all four wonderful days on my personal blog. :shark:

I had a question.

I'm hoping to attend Brickworld in 2010, but I was curious how attendees go about bringing their displays if they are from out of town.

Thanks,

Erdbeereis