Nikola Bathory

Review: 6009 Black Knight

indexed.gif

Time for another review of a Castle set from the early 1990's! I love this period! :thumbup:

Title: 6009 Black Knight

Theme: Castle

Subtheme: Black Knights

Year Released: 1992

Here is an overview of the entire set:

1reviewmain.jpg

Yes, it's a very small set, but it's useful and is a great way to build your army of knights in heavy armour! :classic:

Next comes the back of the box:

2reviewbox.jpg

The instructions are pretty simple, there is nothing to build here, save for the little stand for the weapons:

3reviewinstr.jpg

With this set, you get a small catalog:

4catalog.jpg

Oh, nostalgia! Which ones from these great sets do you own? I am proud to own these: 6075, 6038, 6042 and 6009 (2x).

Here is what is in this set:

5set.jpg

A knight with a great suit of armor and a helmet with lavish decoration, a horse, a cool shield and weapons: 2 swords, a lance and even a crossbow! The crossbow is somewhat unexpected, but it's great to have it. The face of the knight is not the usual generic smile of the past.

Close-up:

6knight.jpg

The horse and the equipment:

7horse.jpg

OK, I have 2 lances, I don't know if it was that way originally or I messed something up. :blush:

A sideview of the cool helmet and it's decoration:

8sideview.jpg

And to conclude, the more the better:

9armybuild.jpg

My scores:

Playability: 6/10 - You get only 1 horse and 1 minifig, so you have to combine this set with other sets. But there is always a place for it in your LEGO Castle Kingdom!

Design: 10/10 - Great design! Someone may argue that the helmet decoration is a bit too much, but I still like it a lot. As for the shield, it's not the classic design, but a different one... I like both.

Overall: 10/10 - A tiny set, great way to build a massive army of knights or just to add some more minifigs to your world. As a child, I loved to play with it, I still think that this is a great set!

Edited by WhiteFang
Review added to index.

Yeah, I loved this guy. I also got 2 of this. Just because i liked the ovoid shield.

This was the first time I got the ovoid shields. AND the awesome 3 piece dragon plume set.

He also has that black visor.

I remember buying this set as a kid. I loved it.

The shield, the feathers, the Knight in general.

Those were great times for Castle fans. The introduction of the Wolf People faction really fired my imagination when they were released.

Great review!

It's been 17 years since this set?!? I'm getting old... when this got out, I was slowly descending into my dark ages, although I held out acouple of years thanks to younger brothers. I remember getting one of this valiant knight, armybuilding wasn't really on my mind back then. Good review, woke that old memory... :)

Thanks!

Brilliant little (Were they called "impulse" back then...?) set. Love the black visor.

It's been 17 years since this set?!? I'm getting old...

I was thinking the very same thing. Goodness, time really flies by.

Nice, me and my brother got 2 of these each, because our dad forgot he bought them to us and he remembered we wanted them :laugh:

We also got 2 lances for each knight.

I never noticed this picture on the left, it looks like they made him taller, looks cool :thumbup:

2reviewbox.jpg

Edited by mali

I remember this one well, bought quite a few. I liked the oval shield a lot at the time and prefered it to the other version. The only thing I didn't like was the black visor piece, as I always liked to use the gray ones. Nice review of a handy small set.

Guess i was still playing Duplo when this set was out :( lol But i seen this minifig before in my brother's old 80s/90s lego collection.

I actually still have a few of these sealed in the box. Great set, and an instant mounted cavalry addition to any army.

I actually still have a few of these sealed in the box. Great set, and an instant mounted cavalry addition to any army.

I still love this set - I remember when it was the lone armored knight in my army when I was younger. :) Now I have like 6 of them. The funny thing is that while I like to mix and match to add variety with most of my army (giving dragon knights white & brown horses, etc), this is one of the few knights I have yet to convince myself to do that with - even with the face... I probably will eventually, but the nostalgia is very high... :)

On the box rear they made him taller, still great set. With brother we have two such knights. Crossbow was dishonour weapon for knights, indeed there should be some squire to use such cruel, unhonorable weapon. :wink:

A pretty sweet set for sure. Got this one when I was young and promptly lost the armor and helmet. I eventually bought replacement parts off bricklink back in December and finally put this set back together once I got them. He now proudly patrols outside the Black Knight's Castle.