Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Desert Adventure

Updated 01-10-2009:

largex1000.jpg

-----

After purchasing the new Indiana Jones Flying Wing (a great set BTW), it inspired me to take down the new 2009 Pirates and build all my desert-related Indiana Jones and Adventurer sets. I had to pull all the tan baseplates that I could find (discovering I had more than I thought), to build the tabletop desert. Adding a small desert oasis, and a few other Indy props, the result is my latest, DESERT ADVENTURE.

I was really trying to create something that I would enjoy as much as my last Indy diorama, Jungle Adventure, but with desert being much more barren, it's more challenging than a jungle.

In addition, I created a large photo backdrop with sand dunes (along the same line as the Jungle Adventure), but it just didn't look as good as a digital background.

This is still a work in process and I've ordered a good supply of tan bricks to create some Egyptian ruins, but here's what I have so far:

desadv1.jpg

Edited by Eskallon

That looks very nice so far Brickster! :classic:

The Flying Wing fits in really nicely with the Adventurers and the other desert landscaping that you've made. I'm excited to see what this will look like once you add those ruins.

Nice work! :thumbup:

Great! I loved the Jungle Adventure (and since i'm now building MOCs in the Middle East) so I'm sure I'll love this one too. Looks grand so far. Good luck with completing it :thumbup:

Thanks guys! I appreciate your feedback.

Here's a shot of the diorama with the actual printed backdrop. The picture is a little dark, but it gives you an idea how the actual scene looks:

whole1.jpg

Ah yes, very reminiscent of your jungle one in terms of the layout and backdrop. Although I feel a little weird about having the Well of Souls above ground, I do like that oasis. I also suggest the inclusion of a tent or two if you own a copy of that Indy 4 Jungle Duel set; that might make for a nice army camp as seen in the film.

I also suggest the inclusion of a tent or two if you own a copy of that Indy 4 Jungle Duel set; that might make for a nice army camp as seen in the film.

That's a good suggestion. I had considered opening up the set to add an additional tent. There is actually one from Sphinx Secret Surprise (5978) on the far left side. You don't see it in the picture:

01tent.jpg Tent

Here's a few more shots that help show the layout:

02oasis.jpg Oasis

05ruins.jpg Well of Souls

04gate.jpg Gate

03layout.jpg Aerial View

Ah, I do see that now. It's a shame you don't have an open copy however, for I do prefer the dark tan tent to black, I don't think you'd want canvas of such a heat absorbing color in the desert, it probably get a good bit hotter inside than it would otherwise. Regardless, I was wondering why you've added this to the Old West group of mine? I'm not sure it quite fits in. :wink:

A wonderful follow-up to your Jungle Adventure, Brickster! :thumbup: I really enjoyed watching the jungle grow, and this one looks good already. There's so many possibilities here- I can't wait to see what else you can think up. What's next, an underwater diorama? :cry_happy::tongue:

Indiana Jones really does provide a lot of creativity, with it's different elements and vehicles. :thumbup:

Edited by JimButcher

I was wondering why you've added this to the Old West group of mine? I'm not sure it quite fits in. :wink:

Oops! It doesn't. Sorry 'bout that. I was thinking favorites, as opposed to Wild West. I've removed. :blush:

A wonderful follow-up to your Jungle Adventure, Brickster! :thumbup: I really enjoyed watching the jungle grow, and this one looks good already. There's so many possibilities here- I can't wait to see what else you can think up. What's next, an underwater diorama?

Indiana Jones really does provide a lot of creativity, with it's different elements and vehicles. :thumbup:

Thanks Jim. Adventurers are one of my favorite all-time themes; and although Indiana Jones is licensed, I see both themes very similar. I really like the Egyptian Desert better than the Jungle, but as I mentioned above, the desert is a little more challenging to add to. When I get those tan bricks though, I plan to add ruins, maybe a pyramid, etc.

In terms of what's next; I don't know about underwater, but Mount Everest would be nice. Perhaps next winter.

This is just so wonderful. I enjoyed your previous Jungle adventure and now, you present us with this new adventure. I must admit that the various combinations of Indiana Jones, Adventurers and Outback sets have been integrated well into entire concept. This is a very good start. I can't wait to see what you have in mind, for the ruins. You do have a lot of tan baseplates inside your collection. Perhaps, you could really build a mid-sized pyramid into the scene. Just an idea for you to think about. I am sure you will excite us more with your updates. :wub:

This is just so wonderful. I enjoyed your previous Jungle adventure and now, you present us with this new adventure. I must admit that the various combinations of Indiana Jones, Adventurers and Outback sets have been integrated well into entire concept. This is a very good start.

Thanks White Fang. I've told you this before, but I always enjoy reading your comments. You always have something positive to say, and also great thoughts on any topic.

I can't wait to see what you have in mind, for the ruins. Perhaps, you could really build a mid-sized pyramid into the scene. Just an idea for you to think about. I am sure you will excite us more with your updates. :wub:

Definately! What's and Egyptian Desert Adventure without a pyramid? Unfortunately, I didn't order any standard 2x4 tan bricks. Can you believe it? I may have to make a separate order if these are available in tan. I would think they are.

You do have a lot of tan baseplates inside your collection.

Mostly from Wild West sets. I've got a few more, but I don't want to open the sets.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm really looking forward to the tan bricks. I plan to build some ruins in the back to help create a better backdrop. I really enjoy these larger layouts/dioramas, esp. since you can continue to build on them over time.

Excuse the double-post, but I've added a new scene. This is in the back of the diorama. Once my tan brick order comes in, there will be ruins in the background. The sand-dune piece is from the new Pirates Theme, Loot Island.

dig.jpg

Wonderful follow-up to your previous large diorama.

The desert scene works great and deeply reminds me of The Adventurers theme with Johnny Thunder.

A beautiful diorama!

Great new shot as well.

Wonderful follow-up to your previous large diorama. The desert scene works great and deeply reminds me of The Adventurers theme with Johnny Thunder.

A beautiful diorama! Great new shot as well.

Thanks NewRight.

My tan bricks arrived today, and I was working on some ruins. I'm not done yet, but here's some new shots with the ruins:

ruins3.jpg

ruins2.jpg

Absolutely fantastic TheBrickster! It's stuff like this which makes me regret leaving for two weeks, so sorry I missed it. a fantastic diorama with that recognisable Brickster charm to it. Love how you've fitted in everything especially the flying wing, well done on finding all those tan plates to support it. I love your little added scenes, especially the temple ruins and mining hive, both of which look fantastic!

As always you never fail to bring a smile to my face, and keep going! :laugh:

Batbrick is Back! :devil:

Wow, great work! I love the details you are putting into this. I have been hoping to do something similar when I get my castle army finished.

Really cool Diorama TheBrickster! :wub: I plan to do something similar, but with Pirates. :sweet: Good job on another great diorama! 5/5 from me! :sweet: