Sign in to follow this  
Eilif

Brickington Ferry and Mountaintop Development

indexed.gif V-W-3D

Update: Smaller non-link pics in post 6.

Sorry this is a bit late in coming. I promissed a Brickington update for the beginning of December, but I've not been around EB much the last month or so. As is often the case, my pics are fairly crap, so I have provided links to better (and larger) pics taken by other members of NILTC. I think you'll agree that clicking the links to see the new ferry and mountaintop development is worth it.

The Story of Brickington Continues...

Having seen first hand the booming tourism industry that resulted from downtown renovations and the addition of a small seaplane airport, the town of Brickington Island has decided to add regular ferry service. Formerly only sporadically visited by ferrys vising the larger islands of the Brick Sea, Brickington is now serviced twice daily by the inter-island ferry service. It is hoped that the ability of tourists and residents to access the mainland more eaily "by car" will result in an increased number of visitors to the island and more outside investment.

Here is a port-side view the Ferry in the harbor, loading up cars and walk-ons for the trip to the mainland. You can't see it in the pics, but the ferry has a full interior. Stairs connect the car deck to the passenger deck which has full seating acomadations and a vending machine. Staris then lead up to the wheel house which has a full complement of navigation equipement and a small lounge.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ErasureM...-1/img_0031.jpg

Here is a starboard sive view. On the right side note the small ticket shack and the que of walk-on passengers waiting their turn. The Ferry has quickly become a necessary part of daily life.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ErasureM...-1/img_0032.jpg

The ferry was a necessary development, but the construction of a ferry landing was not without difficulty. The town board realized the benefits for locating the landing adjacent to the downtown area, but the current residents of the proprty were not willing give up their land without a fight. Thankfully, a comprimise was quickly reached. The township acquired the property by granting the current residenta larger plot of land on the bluffs overlooking the harbor. (please ignore the magnificent star wars buildings in the back, they are part of pepaquinn's display and are not my MOC's)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3585986

Some members of the board thought that paying for the moving of the existing residence and stabilizing the land atop the bluffs was a bit too large an expense, but seeking to begin construction on the landing quickly, and to avoid any unpleasant legal wrangling, the agreement was accepted. The house was moved to it's new cliff-top location where the new owners have begun to raise horses on a bit of land adjacent to an existing corn field and christmas tree farm.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=3587866

I'm not sure why one of the christmas tree loggers is cutting up the corn field, but sometimes these things happen on Brickington Island...

Edited by Phred

Very Nice!

I've always liked your town for some reason.

Brickingham, that's an awesome name for a town. :tongue: That's a great set up you have there, that's how I always imagined a great LEGO city to look like. :thumbup:

PS that cornfield is sweet.

The ferry is brilliant! It is so very...LEGO. My last big (for me) project was a ferry as well but it was closer to a scale model style. Although nowhere near an accurate scale model it is far less "LEGO" than your design which is delightful. Totally top-heavy but that just makes it even more fun. I especially love the passenger lounge and am jealous of the lovely blue train doors. I wanted to use blue but ran out of time to bricklink any so I had to use the only doors I had which then changed the accent colour scheme. :hmpf_bad:

I still don't have great pictures but you can see what I mean from these:

2877066695_947d81ca23.jpg

2909083631_ac2fcbed6a.jpg

2914459836_c849481d53.jpg

I've always liked your town for some reason.

Thanks! If you figure the reason, let me know. :wink:

Brickingham, that's an awesome name for a town. :tongue: That's a great set up you have there, that's how I always imagined a great LEGO city to look like. :thumbup:

PS that cornfield is sweet.

Thanks, but it's actually a typo, the towns name is Brickington. You're welcome to have the name Brickingham for your town if you'd like. If you follow the links in my sig, you can see some more pics of it.

The ferry is brilliant! It is so very...LEGO. My last big (for me) project was a ferry as well but it was closer to a scale model style. Although nowhere near an accurate scale model it is far less "LEGO" than your design which is delightful. Totally top-heavy but that just makes it even more fun. I especially love the passenger lounge and am jealous of the lovely blue train doors. I wanted to use blue but ran out of time to bricklink any so I had to use the only doors I had which then changed the accent colour scheme.

I really lucked out on the doors and windows. I found them at the LEGO store for a buck or two a bag when they were discontinuing the mail order bulk bags!

I love your ferry. It' reminds me of the car ferry's without passenger decks that I've taken across certain rivers in the midwest. I wish I had the space to make mine longer and less top heavy, but as you can see it fills the full area from the shore to the edge of the table completely.

Surprisingly, it was originally even more imbalanced as the original version had the wheelhouse (the top floor) on a raised platform! In the end I settled for a LEGO'ish Storybook caricature of the kind of ferry's I rode on in Washington state, but I'm pretty happy with the results

indexed.gif V-W-3D

Sorry to double-post. I found some smaller-sized pictures on my camera.

Starboard side from the front

ferry_front.jpg

Not as nice as the linked pic, but here's a starboard rear shot.

ferry_port.jpg

Loading the ferry. In the background you can see one of the two stairways that leads to the passenger deck.

ferry_loading.jpg

Passenger deck interior. It's a bit hard to make out, but the man in red is on the stairway that leads up to the wheelhouse. Below the stairs you can see the two grey stairways that come up from the bow and stern and meet in the middle of the passenger deck. Sorry, but no pics of the wheelhouse

fery_passenger_deck.jpg

View of the ferry from the clifftop

clifftop_view.jpg

Arial view of the clifftop from the South.

mountain_top.jpg