27 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale 1 to 5

• 1 – Poor
    • 2 – Below Average
    • 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

indexed.gif

There, surrounded by eternal snow, lies a small treasure. Protected by a HUGE guardian!

Set data:

7412: Yeti's hideout

Year: 2003

Theme: Adventurers

Subtheme: Orient expedition

Pieces: 114 (including extra pieces and 3 game cards)

Price: 10 USD / ?? EUR / ?? UKP

Building time: about 20 minutes

MISB on review: Yes

More info: Brickset - Peeron

Box front: Hands holding map are a trademark in this subtheme.

741201.jpg

Box back: Alternate models; please note the percussionist Yeti on the left

741202.jpg

Box sides: Focus on figs and game cards.

741203.jpg

Box content: Two bags with pieces, one bag with cards, a slim baseplate, a BURP, a promo poster and the instructions sheet. No stickers.

741204.jpg

Game cards: They are not randomly inserted; these are the cards you will get every time you buy this very set.

741205a.jpg

Comic: A few pages of the inscructions sheet feature an OE comic.

741205b.jpg

Random instructions page: Adding details to the scenario on the left and raising the temple on the right.

741205c.jpg

Promo poster: with a good look on the Orient Expedition theme (larger sets included gameboards for the card game) and a snapshot on some Lego sets and videogames. Please click on thumbnails for a larger pic.

0741207.jpg 0741206.jpg

Minifigure: meet Miss Pippin Reed and her quite rare Mongolian hat.

741208.jpg

Maxifigure: what is a Yeti made of? It's not flesh and fur...

741210.jpg

Figure comparison: Yeti is nearly twice as tall as an ordinary minifig.

741211.jpg

Cheese: Yeti hands can hold minifig accessories.

741212.jpg

Building the hideout: Jumpers on the left will host Yeti's feet. Plates on the right will host... we'll find out soon

741213.jpg

Building the hideout: The BURP has been placed.

741214.jpg

Building the hideout: Here is your treasure: 1 (one) diamond! The "drawer" lies on a string.

741215.jpg

Building the hideout: The other end of the string is connected to the rock...

741216.jpg

Building the hideout: ...so that if you pull the drawer, you will a find treasure and danger at the same time!

741217.jpg

Building the hideout: Next to the Yeti's cave, there is a little shrine.

741218.jpg

Building the hideout: Adding stalactites to the big rock.

741219.jpg

The hideout: Building is now complete. Did those who raise a flag ever meet the big monster?

741220.jpg

Yeti's day out: Something freeze-head this way comes.

741221.jpg

Yeti's day out: The beauty meets the beast.

741222.jpg

Leftovers: The usual small pieces, but an ice axe too.

741223.jpg

Review: Many OE sets feature an animal; smetimes real (gators, elephants) and sometime legendary / fictional. That's unusual and mostly a plus. The down point is that we lack an "extra" human minifig and some accessories. Still I wonder why are there two "maces" on the big rock. On the other hande, some might sya that the set is not much more than "a cave, a yeti, a place to hide the diamond and a female minifig".

Price is ok, I even bought it in 2008 for less than the old price. That's why you should always keep an open eye en the net, especially if you've been through a lot of dark years.

Rating:

Color scheme: 5/5. The hideout looks great thanks to those trans light blue pieces; the shrine is ok.

Minifigs and accessories: 3,5/5. this is an average between 4,5 (minifigs) and 2 (accessories).

Pieces: 4/5. Leaving the Yeti aside, there is only one rare piece. Whit BURPS are unusual, but some colors are rarer. But we're slightly above the 10/1 ratio.

Playability: 5/5. Younger builders will enjoy the opening mechanism; older builders might have fun too.

Design: 5/5. The hideout alone would have been too few for a set, so having that sort of small shrine adds some value..

Overall rating: 4/5. A good medium/small set; a good starter if you're not into this theme yet.

The final words: If you want something a bit different from the usual, here it is. Now a 6 year old set, but can easily be found on the net. Just check the price and compare it to RRP.

Nice review. :thumbup:

I consider this set one of the best of the Orient expedition theme, but the Yeti, the Tygurah(7411) and Jun-Chi(7413) are a bit unstable and fall apart easily...

Edited by Lord Santos

I love this set its awesome.

I think the white and trans blue look great together and the minifigs are cool.

I would like to see more adventurers sets or at least some Indy sets that aren't all about the vehicles.

but the Yeti, the Tygurah(7411) and Jun-Chi(7413) are a bit unstable and fall apart easily...

No, I have Jun-Chi and he's pretty solid. :wacko:

Anyway, nice review The Cobra, I really wish I had bought that set when I could. :sad:

Nice review! This is one of the better sets, which have quite a lot of useful parts such as the lightsaber, white BURP, accessories and etc. Furthermore, Yeti is one of my favourite monster among the 3. It's a regret that I did not buy this back then. :sadnew:

Great review, love the Yeti (got one myself but not the set). I wouldn't mind having that white baseplate, so I'll keep an eye out for this set when it's below $10.

Great review of a cool set I had no idea existed! :thumbup:

Nice review!

I just have to say that it´s no BURP, it´s a LURP. :tongue:

Thats right, BURP = big ugly rock piece 6082.gif

LURP = little ugly rock piece 6083.gif

Great review of a cool set I had no idea existed! :thumbup:

Thats right, BURP = big ugly rock piece 6082.gif

LURP = little ugly rock piece 6083.gif

Getting technical, are we?

Maybe we should just redefine the name to simply: URP's?

Getting technical, are we?

Maybe we should just redefine the name to simply: URP's?

If I was super detailed, I could have pointed out what colours they each come in too :tongue:

That's true, there is no denying they are both ugly and serve a purpose of saving lots of bricks when building. I must say I prefer BURP's to LURP's for building mountains etc.

Edited by I Scream Clone

If I was super detailed, I could have pointed out what colours they each come in too :tongue:

That's true, there is no denying they are both ugly and serve a purpose of saving lots of bricks when building. I must say I prefer BURP's to LURP's for building mountains etc.

That's it! We're naming them UBHRPTCIVSAC - Ugly But Helpful Rock Pieces That Come In Varying Shapes And Colors! :tongue:

Don't forget that there is yet another URP in the family, too:

47847.1144558394.jpg

Anyway, I got this set yesterday too, and I have to say that the Yeti is much more pleasing to the eye in real life. Having seen it only in pictures I though it was unsuitable with the System minifigs, but now that I own the Yeti and his pals Tygurah and Jun Chi, I think they're rather cute. :wub:

It certainly came as a surprise that they have bricks inside of them, I thought they were just one big piece, like the Troll and the Cerberus from the Harry Potter-line.

As for the rest of this set, it offers several rare pieces, like Pippin Reed's hat and torso, and the "ice blue" round studs and sticks. And plenty of white, which is actually quite a rare color for a Castle-fan like me.

Nah! Let's just stick with BURP for all of them.

They're all bigger than the classic system brick and somewhat ugly.

Big Ugly Rock Piece...

Back on topic: Thanks for reviewing this set for us.

I bought this and the similar sets on sale at some point.

I've never been much of an Adventure fan and after taking whatever pieces I wanted, the rest went into my Bricklink Store and the instructions were sold on a Danish Auction site.

After seeing/reading this review I kinda regret selling this off.

I've got this set and I like it, it's above average

I really like these adventure sets and I've got nearly allfrom the Egypt-theme and some from Orient Expedition

That's it! We're naming them UBHRPTCIVSAC - Ugly But Helpful Rock Pieces That Come In Varying Shapes And Colors! :tongue:

Don't forget that there is yet another URP in the family, too:

47847.1144558394.jpg

I´ll name that SURP-Small Ugly Rock Piece. :tongue:

Ok, UBHRPTCIVSAC On! :tongue::laugh:

Edited by Dennimator