Sign in to follow this  
Dragonator

Mystery Manor - Chapter Three

chapter_three.jpg

Peter throws open the doors, and the group moves through into the Library.

p1060233.jpg

The library is a long narrow room, with two entrances, the doors you just entered through at the north end of the west wall, and another set at the south end of the west wall. The library has a wonderful polished wooden floor, with wallpapered walls interrupted twice by a strip of wooden panelling. Two large chandeliers hang from the ceiling, casting a good light for reading in. The doors you entered through have two large ornate spears flanking them, leading into a reading area at the north end of the room.

p1060235.jpg

The reading area contains a large oak desk with two draws and a collection of things on it including a reading lamp. A comfy chair rests behind it. To the right of this is another statue, nicely filling the north wall. The eastern wall at this end has a single large bookshelf with a number of large tomes on it. Two small statues of dragons stand on either corner of this bookshelf. A small stool with a book on it completes the furnishings.

p1060237.jpg

The south end of the room (not pictured) looks very similar to an ordinary library, with both the south and the east walls covered with large bookshelves containing anything from small paperbacks to large hard covers and more. There are also two large free-standing bookshelves in the middle of the floor. The books on the eastern and southern walls all appear to be fiction, arranged by author from A-Z, while the books on the two bookshelves in the middle of the floor all appear to be non-fiction, arranged by the dewy decimal system.

Right, well see what you can find in here then.

Remember that to win the game you must answer the following four questions:

WHO committed the crime?

WHERE was the crime committed (which room)?

WHAT was the murder weapon?

WHY was he killed (motive)?

There is also the optional challenge of piecing together the events of the previous night. Try to find out as much detail as possible.

For the full list of rules, please click on the picture at the top of the page or follow this link.

Participants:

1. ImperialShadows - Peter Crawford; Lawyer

2. Sandy - Susan Greenwood; Receptionist

3. WhiteFang - Dr. Phillip Marshall; General Practitioner

4. Hinckley - Max Sinclair; Actor

5. Sir Dillon - Michael Dunne; CEO of Brick Plates

6. jipay - Bernard Knightly; President of the DHPT

7. ImperialScouts - Lieutenant John Spencer; Soldier

8. Sir Nadroj - Dermot Stephens; University Student

9. Mr. Mandalorian - Dr. Gregory Grimsworth; University Professor

10. TheBrickster - Anthony Blackwater; Private Detective

11. Erdbeereis1 - Chef Frederick Valentine; Chef

Well... we all know where Dr. Phil is heading. :pir_laugh2:

The reading area contains a large oak desk with two draws and a collection of things on it including a reading lamp. A comfy chair rests behind it.

Ah, now this is more like it. I think I'll just head over to the desk, flip on the lamp and take a seat in that very nice chair. Now, let's rifle through these drawers, check on all the various objects on the desk, look under, over and behind everything from the lamp to the desk itself, with all points covered inbetween. Yes, this is just the kind of environment for me to work in, hopefully we'll come up with some useful papers or fascinating bits of hidden intrigue.

The south end of the room (not pictured) looks very similar to an ordinary library, with both the south and the east walls covered with large bookshelves containing anything from small paperbacks to large hard covers and more. There are also two large free-standing bookshelves in the middle of the floor. The books on the eastern and southern walls all appear to be fiction, arranged by author from A-Z, while the books on the two bookshelves in the middle of the floor all appear to be non-fiction, arranged by the dewy decimal system. [/i]

Sounds like a good place for our Professor to explore.

In the meantime, perhaps one of you could check out that green book in the case to my right. Just looks a bit... out of place, to me.

In the meantime, perhaps one of you could check out that green book in the case to my right. Just looks a bit... out of place, to me.

I will do that for you, dear. Yes, I will see what the green book contains.

What a nice little library!

I think I would like to look inside the books with miss sandy, and then examine the statues.

Well... we all know where Dr. Phil is heading. :pir_laugh2:

Aww, it seemed our dear Peter know where I am heading. I will like to climb up and observe closely on the two large chandeliers, checking if there is any other things in it.

I'm going to use the stool and see if there are any objects on top of the bookcase.

Peter walk over to the desk and sits down in the comfy reading chair. Switching on the lamp, he can better see the desk. On the desk is a stack of blank paper, pens and ink, four leather bookmarks and a coaster. The top draw is locked, while the second draw contains a bible and a small golden ring in the shape of a serpent biting its own tail. You cannot find anything else of interest on the desk.

Miss Sandy pulls out the green book on the large bookshelf. As it comes lose, a click is heard and the mouth of the dragon to her left opens. Inside is a small shiny gold key. The actual book seems to be an old potions book, dating back to the 16th century.

The chef decides to take a look at the statues on the bookcase. The two dragon statues are carved in a black stone, probably granite. You cannot see anything unusual about them, although one of them has already revealed a hidden secret.

Michael decides to take a look at the book on the stool. It appears to be a book on European history focusing on the 20th century.

Aww, it seemed our dear Peter know where I am heading. I will like to climb up and observe closely on the two large chandeliers, checking if there is any other things in it.

Might I ask how you plan on getting up there? :look:

John climbs up on the stool and looks on top of the bookcase. There is a small tin box which contains a small hunting knife with a handle made of deer horn and a sharp metal blade. There is nothing else there.

I would like to take the knife for safe keeping and try to move the dragon statues.

The top draw is locked, while the second draw contains a bible and a small golden ring in the shape of a serpent biting its own tail.

Well, it's key checking time, let's all try unlocking that top drawer while I thumb through this bible to see if it contains anything important. Oh, and let's examine the ring for an inscription or other identifying marks.

Well, it's key checking time, let's all try unlocking that top drawer while I thumb through this bible to see if it contains anything important. Oh, and let's examine the ring for an inscription or other identifying marks.

Yeah, I'll still try and see if my key fits in the drawers.

I don't like the idea of Mr. Sinclair in possession of a sharp knife...

I'll protect the knife from Mr. Sinclair.

I don't like the idea of Mr. Sinclair in possession of a sharp knife...

I'll protect the knife from Mr. Sinclair.

You may have it good sir. I certainly trust you with it more. I simply did not want it to be left behind.

You may have it good sir. I certainly trust you with it more. I simply did not want it to be left behind.

Who's to say I wouldn't have kept it, like I have kept this key :wink:

*barely notices the apparent disagreement over who is to keep the knife as he thumbs through the bible, reading aloud occasionally*

Then another sign appeared in heaven: an enormous red dragon with seven heads and ten horns and seven crowns on his heads.

I knew a woman like that once, redhead too. :look:

I heard that, Mr. Crawford! *flicks her ginger hair*

But oh goodie, I found yet another secret!

And as for the knife... Hmm, now we have a gun, a candlestick, a noose and a knife. We are still missing a lead pipe and a wrench, right? :tongue:

Anyway, I'd like to move on to the piece of armor standing there. I'd like to check it for any oddities, and pull the sword down, in case it would reveal more secrets.

Max tries to move the dragon statues, but they do not budge.

Peter examines the small gold ring. There is no inscription, but it is finely worked with small scales and other details, making the serpent appear very much alive.

John tries his key in the draw, however it does not fit. It probably only works with the draw in the ballroom...

Meanwhile, much debate is going on as to who can be trusted with the knife. John thinks he should have it since he found it, while the chef wants it just to keep out of the actor's hands. But when it comes down to it, can you really trust anyone?

Miss Sandy decides to inspect the suit of armour. It is very much similar to those seen elsewhere in the manor, such as in the entrance foyer. Pulling on the sword arm does not reveal anything, although it does make the helmet wobble.

Miss Sandy decides to inspect the suit of armour. It is very much similar to those seen elsewhere in the manor, such as in the entrance foyer. Pulling on the sword arm does not reveal anything, although it does make the helmet wobble.

Nice wobble... The armour too. :wink:

I think I'll go take a closer look at that. The armour too. :laugh:

Let's just remove this helmet and see if anything interesting is inside or anywhere else in the armour and I'll leave the rest alone for now. :grin:

Oh, and another idea... did I happen to find a pencil anywhere around the desk? I'd like to use it to gently create a rubbing across the top sheet of paper in an attempt to see if anything interesting had been written on the previous sheet. If there is no pencil, I'm still going to take that sheet of paper in hopes of finding a lemon later. And a heat source, maybe a stove burner. Oooh, and some whiskey.

What the hell is he talking about? :look:

I don't know, Pinky, but it's intriguing.

Sometimes it's hard to believe he's ...

SHUSH! :angry:

*looks around*

I swear, I haven't even found any booze in here. Say, did anyone happen to bring along a bottle from the other room? I really do think it's suspicious that there isn't any in here. We need to investigate that further, and quickly! :wacko:

WAIT! One more thing... Perhaps you could take that shiny little key over to the desk and try it in the top drawer, Miss Susan? Stacy? Sandy? No... I'm sure it was ...

Surely he couldn't have forgotten her name already!

Yes, that's it! Miss Shirley! No, that doesn't seem right either... :look:

Don't do that to him, he's confused enough already.

It's kind of fun though.

Yeah, it surely is... :laugh:

Um. What was I saying again? :wacko:

Hmpf, can't even remember my name, can you? I am Susan Greenwood, but Miss Sandy is my stagename. I have no idea who Stacy and Shirley are, though.

But I will try to fit the little key found inside the dragon to the drawer on the desk.

Might I ask how you plan on getting up there?

I will like to use the stool to climb up. Before doing so, I will like to flip the stool to ensure it is sturdy and checked if there is any unusual marking behind. If the height could not allow me to reach at the top, I will like to use the comfy chair behind the desk and stack on it. It will be nice if someone could hold the base of the chair and stool, so I could have a firm ground. :tongue:

I would like to flip through the book on the stool, to see if there's anything stuck between the pages, or if there's something written in it that stands out.

I will then help Dr. Phillip examine the chandeliers, whether by supporting the chair or giving him a boost.

I will then help Dr. Phillip examine the chandeliers, whether by supporting the chair or giving him a boost.

Thanks Michael. It's very appericate of you to help me with this. :blush:

Dudes, I wouldn't keep touching that knife - you'll get your fingerprints on it. Perhaps we can have it scientifically analyzed - perhaps this knife is a murder weapon. Here, I've got a plastic baggy in my pocket.... what's that? No, there are no drugs in the bag, I just find it practical to have one where ever I go.... :grin: ... anyway, here, I'd like you to put the knife in the baggy; I don't really care who holds on to it, though.

It might be better to wrap the knife in some kind of cloth. It will probably just cut through your plastic bag.

It might be better to wrap the knife in some kind of cloth. It will probably just cut through your plastic bag.

Impossible! I buy "Hefty" brand plastic baggies! :tongue: