21 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale 1 to 5

• 1 – Poor
    • 2 – Below Average
    • 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

The 2008 NWOLPS (New Wave Of Lego Police Sets) featuring blue stickers for both English and German writings brought some "renewed" 2005 sets, though the only change being the sticker sheet.

Set data:

7245: Prisoner transport

Year: 2005

Theme: City

Subtheme: Police

Pieces: 98 (including extras)

Price: 13 USD / 13 EUR / 8 UKP (sources: Peeron, German S@H Catalogue)

Building time: 20/30 minutes

MISB on review: Yes

More info: Brickset - Peeron

Box front: European "plain" version; no set name or piece count; just the van and the minifigs

7245-01.jpg

Box back: we no longer have the 2005 alternate German version (see pic); here are some action scenes.

7245-02.jpg

Box content: two bags, the big car base, sticker sheet and instructions (featuring old black stickers)

7245-03.jpg

Loose pieces: see those 1x4 blue plates? they use to be blue in the older version too; and you can't see them once building is complete!

7245-04.jpg

Random instructions page: Now, that's something! Try putting that loudhailer in balance on its handle.

7245-05.jpg

The big one: Building on a solid base? I seriously doubt it.

7245-06.jpg

Building start: Those 6x1 slope bricks were first used in 2005, so did the mudguards.

7245-07.jpg

Building on: See the driver's seat and two of those plates I told you about.

7245-08.jpg

Building on: No car doors, two 1x12 bricks on the sides and a SNOT front.

7245-09.jpg

Building on: Fences on the sides, steel doors on the rear, a glass piece to keep an eye on the prisoner(s).

7245-10.jpg

Building on: You don't want the prisoners to get injured while getting out of the van, do you?

7245-11.jpg

Building on: Adding cupboards to the sides; and one will stay empty. That's a minus! Plates on rear top will help to easily remove the roof for faster prisoner placing.

7245-12.jpg

Building complete: Here's what the van looks like without stickers.

7245-13.jpg

Flaws: Why are there all those empty spaces? Would it have costed too much to add a couple of pieces to the back? It's hard to believe that doors wouldn't have opened.

7245-14.jpg

Stickers time: Here's the 2008 Van. Blue stickers look great with trans blue light on a white base.

7245-15.jpg

Minifigs and extrapieces: Nothing special, figs are OK and we have one spare of each 1x1 piece.

7245-16.jpg

Spacing: The van can host three prisoners, whether sitting (anywhere) or standing up (in the "recessed center" of the car base)

7245-18.jpg

Complete set: It's time to serve your time!

7245-19.jpg

Review: Back then, this set looked average to me; blue stickers made quite a difference. The van is ok, except for the flaws I pointed out. It can be easily modded to become a civillian vehicle too. It looks obviuosly big compared to old 4-wide trucks, but it's regular in a 6-wide world. But, if the policeman should find himself with his hands full, that's surely won't be because of accessories. One loudhailer and nothing else? That's a big downpoint. Please note that this set is more expensive than 7091 and no cheaper than (Licensed) sets that have lots of special pieces (7624)

Rating:

Color scheme: 5/5. I only would have rated it 3 with the old sticker sheet. I'm really pleased with this change.

Minifigs and accessories: 3/5. That's an average. 5 for the figs, 1 for the accessories (basically because you only have ONE accessory!). Handcuffs did not exist (in Lego) in 2005, but the designers could have picked something (that fitted in the cupboard) like binoculars or a torch.

Pieces: 3/5. Nothing special, nothing rare, nothing much (to say it all). This set is about the final product, not the pieces.

Playability: 5/5. With easy-to-remove roofs and big rear doors, kids should have a lot of fun; plus, its police vs. thief!

Design: 3/5. I've pointed out some flaws; Add the lack of accessories and here's why I rated it so low (compared to my standards). Still, this is the smallest set amongst those featuring a prisoner (currently available).

Overall rating: 3,5/5.

The final words: A bit pricey, but if you can find it for less than RRP (and you didn't buy it in the 2005-2007 era) this set will look good in your town/collection. I bought it for 10 Euros and I'm happy about it.

Great review!

I have recently bought the Police HQ and all the prisoners are being transported with the police dog vehicle :tongue: so i definetely need this one!

(Even prisoners need some space.)

I too agree that the blue stickers really work well.

I bought this set from Amazon as an impulse buy: my first set since coming out of the "dark ages", and the only one I would have even considered.

Basically I agree with the review, regarding the lack of accessories and the build. It's an underwhelming set for the price, but it was fun to build after so long away from sets.