Mike Yates

Mega Bloks

I don't really care for Mega Bloks, but my dogs sure like them! They like to chew on them more than they do on my Lego(annoying :hmpf: ). Softer plastic, I guess :grin:

For years, I hated MB because of poor quality I encountered with sets I purchasesd. Bricks not holding together or being improperly molded seemed to be common occurrances. Everything about the brand screamed "poor man's LEGO" to me. I do think they've stepped up their game in more recent years, though, and they seem to be trying to create their own identity with more molded pieces rather than relying almost entirely on brick built sets and their redesigned minifigure. The downside for me is that the minifigures look less like block figures now and more like tiny action figures, so they do not fit in with my LEGO collection. So, while they're not my cup of tea, I applaud MB for at least making an effort to improve their product.

Like many here, I do not, nor have ever, purchased Mega Blok sets. I did, however, acquire a few from my brothers from when they were young. I am and was always into city/trains, but they liked various sets from any theme or make, in particular where skate park sets. Their interest of the time, Tony Hawk Pro Skater game releases, etc. They received 9157 Skate Park (Half Pipe), 9161 Skate Park, and 9169 Skate City one year for Christmas. I have all three the skate sets intact, they are the only non-Lego I allowed in my layout. Apart from MB's notorious fault in quality (grip/color), at least 96-02, some of the features are quite nice. I really like the unique "in-line" blade elements, the BMX bikes, but most of all, how the half pipes and vert ramps were done right! Lego could have taken a few ideas from them for a change, or at least paid more attention to actual ramp dimensions, before releasing their Island Extreme Stunts (pardon the blasphemy default_tong.gif). Checking out 6738 Skateboard Challenge, I think you'll see what I mean default_classic.gif

today i was rumaging through my lego boxes from 5 years ago ( i number mine so if theres any broken sets i can remake them with the manuals i noo GEEKISH) But i stumbled across some Mega blocks Guns there quite decent, ftfuwj.jpg i got this from a website but theres what i found , the have a round bit at the back so if youve got like, the part that goes around the neck with a stud in you can attach them to that pretty useful and if you make an armoury you can stick them to a board and attack that to a wall or something , well, i know ill be useing them as im makeing a torchwood base / LEGO Agents agents base so ill be useing them for that , sorry for makeing you read all this

Wow some great guns!!! you can get them on ebay but some are real expensive anyone got the mini gun?

And I do have the power to point out that you seem to be trolling. Do tread carefully.

I wasn't trolling, I own a lot of Mega Bloks sorry for the confusion. I was joking because some people tend not to like Mega Bloks on this site because it's for Lego.

Edited by TeardropTrashcan

Hmm, I had a few sets as a kid, I remember liking their dragon sets. (Something called "Krystal warriors" or whatever? :tongue:) But I've grown to be completely irritated by the things, the amount of times I go through my LEGO boxes and find Mega Bloks is infuriating! :hmpf:

I don't "hate" them, I personally don't buy them anymore, I don't like the quality, I don't like THEM. But I just choose not to buy them. I mean, I can't hate a toy company simply for existing! It's not like Mega-Bloks has invested in licensed Kitty Stompers. :laugh:

I wasn't trolling, I own a lot of Mega Bloks sorry for the confusion. I was joking because some people tend not to like Mega Bloks on this site because it's for Lego.

Yes but this is in the 'Community' SUBFORUM, and there are plenty of other topics non-LEgo in these sub forums. A forum isn't for hate, it is for mutual expressions of interest and an all round lovey dovey feel.. :blush: and just because someone likes one brand does not mean they need to hate all others. I love Lego as much as anyone. And I prefer it to MegaBlocks. However, I appreciate some of the MegaBlocks sets, and I don't understand why they get so much vitriol directed at them :classic:

Like many here, I do not, nor have ever, purchased Mega Blok sets. I did, however, acquire a few from my brothers from when they were young. I am and was always into city/trains, but they liked various sets from any theme or make, in particular where skate park sets. Their interest of the time, Tony Hawk Pro Skater game releases, etc. They received 9157 Skate Park (Half Pipe), 9161 Skate Park, and 9169 Skate City one year for Christmas. I have all three the skate sets intact, they are the only non-Lego I allowed in my layout. Apart from MB's notorious fault in quality (grip/color), at least 96-02, some of the features are quite nice. I really like the unique "in-line" blade elements, the BMX bikes, but most of all, how the half pipes and vert ramps were done right! Lego could have taken a few ideas from them for a change, or at least paid more attention to actual ramp dimensions, before releasing their Island Extreme Stunts (pardon the blasphemy default_tong.gif). Checking out 6738 Skateboard Challenge, I think you'll see what I mean default_classic.gif

The reason the curved ramp elements from LEGO Island Extreme Stunts (and from the Gravity Games subtheme of LEGO Sports) are inaccurate is because it is not specially-designed for skateboarding sets. It was originally a curve element from the Ultimate NBA Arena set, used to keep the ball from rolling off the court. Thus, it was designed from the beginning for functionality, not realism, and certainly not for application in a skate park.

My family actually owned the Mega Bloks 9157 Skate Park you linked to. It was decent, although quality was lacking and I was quite grateful when I got some real, official LEGO skateboards and didn't have to use Mega Bloks ones. Although to be honest I lost interest in building things that involved skateboards long before I got my hands on an official LEGO one. :tongue:

The reason [snip] It was originally a curve element from the Ultimate NBA Arena set, used to keep the ball from rolling off the court. [snip]

My family actually owned the Mega Bloks 9157 Skate Park you linked to. It was decent, although quality was lacking and I was quite grateful when I got some real, official LEGO skateboards and didn't have to use Mega Bloks ones. [snip]

Thanks for clarifying, I don't know much about the NBA sets, but it makes sense not to create a new mold for a proper ramp. You are so right about replacing MB skateboards with the Lego version. They're wheels are terrible and the sets are quite flimsy from no clutch power. Ah MegaBlok default_sick.gifdefault_classic.gif

Today, I took my bicycle and paid my first visit to MegaBloks (Mega Brands) HQ in Montreal, Canada. A 35 minutes bike ride from my home. The HQ is situated in an industrial part of town, on Hickmore st., close to the 520 highway.

I managed to see the inside the warehouse from the large doors used by trucks for loading/unloading. Strangely, there were very few fences to be found anywhere on the entire site - I've worked in warehouses where fences make it completely impossible to go even as close as 30 meters from any entrance. So it would be very easy for anybody to just sneak inside there (not that I'd do it myself). I contented myself by just circling the entire property on my bike.

There is a "warehouse sale" door, but it was closed. I was told it only opens a few times per year and only for 2 days in a row.

I went to the reception desk and asked if there was some kind of visitor area, with toys/models and such to show off. She responded negatively, with a blank stare.

Edited by SheepEater

I went to the reception desk and asked if there was some kind of visitor area, with toys/models and such to show off. She responded negatively, with a blank stare.

Another point scored for Lego

On another note, lately I've really been enjoying the Halo game series due to an excess of time off, and I've been really torn about the Mega Bloks Halo sets. Being the purist that I am, part of me wants no part of the sets(no pun intended), yet the Halo fan in me wants to see these sets for myself.

Another point scored for Lego

On another note, lately I've really been enjoying the Halo game series due to an excess of time off, and I've been really torn about the Mega Bloks Halo sets. Being the purist that I am, part of me wants no part of the sets(no pun intended), yet the Halo fan in me wants to see these sets for myself.

I have no knowledge of the Halo sets, but they seem to get decent praise on here. I would buy one, even the most inexpensive, if you don't want to get too deep in. Just keep it hidden from your LEGO, they get very jealous...

While at Target today I picked up one of the collectible MB Halo figures. As luck would have it I let my little sister(8) pick it out and it ended up being a clear elite with an energy sword. I'm actually pretty impressed by it, and it has made me think more about the line in general, as it seems like MB has actually stepped up with their quality(still not as good as Lego though) and I'm actually thinking about picking up a Warthog set. That being said, I also picked up a few packs of Halo Micro-ops, a 1/100 scale miniature series done by MCFarlane, which has many of the iconic Halo vehicles at a much lower price point(UNSC Falcon with three figures for 15$ and a Warthog and Mongoose with three figures for 8$).

I have two nephews and used them as an excuse to buy several MB Halo sets.

honesty the quality was bad in the original line but has improved vastly. They even started printing on the blocks so there would be no more stickers to worry about putting on straight.

If you want MB Halo get from the new lines, and if you have parts missing, no problem they will ship them to you for free if use their online customer services. I actually got one of their bigger box sets for free as I telephone complained to their UK office (many of the sets had parts missing), the next day I had a phone call form Canada apologising and offering any set I wanted for free! so naturally I chose one of the bigger sets that wasn't available in UK at the time!

Has anyone tried the World of Warcraft Megabloks sets? They look quite interesting. Are the figures larger than a minifig?

:classic:

I don't dislike or hate MB or any of the other non-LEGO brands but I won't buy them. The reason? It's nothing to do with compatibility or quality or anything else. I collect LEGO specifically - I don't collect construction toys generally. Simples.

Cheers

Rog

Has anyone tried the World of Warcraft Megabloks sets? They look quite interesting. Are the figures larger than a minifig?

:classic:

They are Different. I think they are ever so slightly larger in scale, like tiny action figures really. I can't pass judgement on the accessories as I am yet to purchase any. They sell small figure sets in the local supermarket so I can see the figure but that's it.

For some reason, I get a sick-ish feeling when I come across a Mega Bloks brick in my parts bins... :wink: Was always annoyed that they got the license for Star Trek, and LEGO didn't.... :wacko:

I hardly even hate Mega Blocks these days, because they hardly feel like a Lego rip-off. Whats a more miserable rip-off is Kre-o, because the creators are freaking Hasbro for starters, but they decided to ruin their reputation (For me, atleast) by making rip-offs instead making a partnership with Lego which they would've earned more money out of, but these other cons are puny compared to the biggest con of all: It's not Transformers, but rather "BuildFormers". I'm not going to talk more about that.

Building brick themes which are similiar and compatible with LEGO are kinda rare here in Germany (at least in super markets and toy stores, some cheaper stores tend to sell stuff like Best Lock though), so I didn't even knew about the existence of Mega Bloks for a long time (and I also didn't paid much attention to it).

By now, I happen to own a few sets from their Halo line (mostly smaller sets which focus on figures), a few marine dudes from their Dragons Universe and one of the single figures from the WoW line. I agree on the quality of the Mega Bloks being inferior to LEGO bricks, and at least the Halo sets I own (the Moon Goose and the Brute Chopper) contain many specialized pieces, but I like the more poseable (mini) figures. I wouldn't prefer them right over the adorable and timeless LEGO minifig, but I still like them for what they are - small action figures which are to some extend compatible with LEGO.

Because of this, I'm also looking forward to the Starcraft sets.

I don't own any of mega blocks stuff. I love Lego and that's enough for me not to buy megablocks . I sow area mega block arts and I really hate their design. They like to make parts, which are only used for prticiular sets. Those are unusable in mocks or for anything else. Not a fan of mini figs too.

I really hate that TLG is giving away all of the video games licenses to megablocks. I love idea of World of Warcraft sets. I would buy a lot of them, even if I don't play it anymore. Though I Dont like mega blocks designs.

I remember those weapons from their Command Ops line that they had a few years back, some of their new Halo sets are alright, but I still prefer Lego above all other construction toys.

I'm at a really bad crossroads. I REALLY want the Starcraft sets, but buying them would only take away from buying LEGO. I wish TLG would've got that license.

I just finished putting together, or rather attempting to put together my first MB set. My wife and I both play World of Warcraft. She saw the Lich King and Sindragosa set dirt cheap on clearance at Target and grabbed it for me.

Now to start off I am not in any way a brand snob. I love Lego, but I can appreciate and admire other products. I have always been a little jealous of some of the cool MB parts that I always wished Lego would make. Like the double studded tiles. Well now I fully understand WHY Lego does not make these parts. They apparently do not work.

I'm really trying to not be overly critical about this MB set. I realize it isn't Lego. I accept that it is a different sort of minifig etc. I get all of that. No problem. But I did not expect the degree of poor quality toy that these things are. Bricks that don't clutch together, or need to be forced. These hideously made swirled color bricks that fail any sort of color consistancy and just look like crp. And then we come to the showpiece of the set. The undead dragon. It looks great, but almost everything about it is truly awful. Because of the underlying flaws of those double stud parts, and the lack of any sort of reinforcing design the build not merely falls apart, it is almost spring loaded to explode. I can accept that the head is the wrong proportion from the subject being modeled. Or that the joints connect and move oddly forcing the wings to weird angles. I can even accept that some things may be prone to fall apart in moderate to heavy play. What I don't care for is when the model dissembles itself with no human contact within five minutes of being put together and set on the table. The only way to make this thing playable or even mildly swooshable is with glue or maybe a good sized nail.