Barbaros

The Black Seas Barracuda or Dark Shark

Hi all!

I haven't posted in a while now having been busy with many things however I wanted to share today a thought with you all...

I recall a decade ago that the Black Seas Barracuda was actually named Dark Shark, has anybody seen brochures or any other official Lego products that have that classic ship carrying the name of Dark Shark instead of the Barracuda?

And if there was a name change when did that happen? Or is this part of calling a product with one name in North America and with another in Europe and the rest of the world?

Or am I mistaken all together here?

This is the set you're thinking of - I know because I was considering picking one up recently, but didn't. Looks like a nice set, though =P

~Trexxen

I know that I haven't confused between a City/Town Set with a Pirates set and the first Pirate set I ever bought in 1989. The problem I can't recall where I have seen that, anyways lets see further replies maybe there are some out there that might have seen the samething that I had seen.

Or maybe I did get confused, dunno...

My guess as to the identity of this mystery set is that it a clone brand. There are some clone brands that look a lot like LEGO and copy the set design to a degree. One case of this I have seen was a clone version of the Armada Flagship. I would not be surprised at all to see that the same company has copied the BSB and named it the Dark Shark.

I think the Black Seas Barracuda was called Dark Shark in the UK, if I recall correctly. Don't know in what other countries it is called Dark Shark, or which countries officially knew it as Black Seas Barracuda.

I think Fluyt you're right!!

Plus I bought my set on a trip to the UK at the time of its release from Hamleys. So, it must be the orginal...

You are right about that. When BSB was released here in Greece, the name "Black Seas Barracuda" was never used. Instead the name given to this (amazing) ship was "Dark Shark" (Mavros Karcharias). I 've also ckecked some european catalogues-some of them with greek language and some not, from 1989 (the release year) and 1991 and it is named after "Dark Shark" in many languages. The name BSB is nowhere there. To tell you the truth, it was only 3 months ago when i first heard of this name (BSB)- dark ages you see....

Thanks for the reminder! :thumbup:

I too confirm that, here in italy the first 2 pirate ships where named (as everything) with italian names, and it was named "squalo nero" which means black shark..

but i don't remember how was it called the 3rd and last one, but i will do some researches over my catalogues and see how was named it :pir_laugh2:

Edited by punkitititi

For so far I know the BSB has always been BSB in the Netherlands, I see the BSB has other names in other countries.

Never know the BSB had different names! :pir_laugh2:

Also in the comic book "The Golden Medalion" released in 1989 the

BSB = Dark Shark

CC = Sea Hawk

Fort Eldorado = Fort Sabre

Forbidden Island = Pirate's Nest

I know this is an old post, but i'm new here and try to catch up :-).

No problem. As long as you have something to add to the conversation, I have no problem with a bumped post once in a while. :pir-classic:

Welcome to the forum!

Yes you are correct. Mostly all the UK sets had different names to other countrys, and not just the pirate theme but virtually every theme. I still have every catalog for every year dating back to 1980. For example:

Black Falcons Fortress - Castle Draco

Dragon Masters Castle - Castle Carreg

The Imperial Shipo was called the 'The Sea Lion'

There was 'Port Jamaica', 'The Black Skull', 'The Sea Vulture' etc.

If anyone is interested in the names changes I could write out a whole list. I sometimes think we in the UK got better names :pir-classic:

This is the set you're thinking of...

Not quite, the Dark Shark was indeed a name given to the BSB in some countries.

Or maybe I did get confused, dunno...

No, you didn't.

I'm surprised you guys haven't found this already, but in my time at Classic-Pirates.com I created a page with this information on it, with the set inventory, instructions etc.

The names on this page:

• Dark Shark (England)
  • Vascello dei pirati (Italy)
  • Barracuda de la Mer Noire (Canada)
  • Piratenbrigantine (Germany)
  • Requin Noir (France)
  • De Zeeschuimer (Netherlands)

Have a look: http://www.classic-pirates.com/sets/6285-black-seas-barracuda

Well this is most interesting, can someone find a picture for the record book?

Here you go Big Cam: :pir-classic:

002.jpg

This is from the small European 1989 catalog, the year the Pirates theme made its debut.

It's also interesting to note that while the names were changed for the US version of the Pirate comic, several panels went unchanged--the single reference there to "Darkshark" really confused me as a kid.

TC