Sign in to follow this  
Kanal-K1

REVIEW: 7746 Compactor/Steam Roller

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

1.BEFORE I BOUGHT

Even if I am a hardcore 4-stud fan, I was bit interested, how could look this compactor. When I saw an opportunity to buy it on one Czech auction web, I hadn´t thought too long .

2. IMPRESS WHEN UNPACKED

Quite a few parts for such big box..Two numbered bags, instructions, big parts packed loose in the box. I was quite happy finding three sticker sheets instead of one. I think that it was just mistake, or, could be, that TLC decided to give us spare stickers? :tongue:

3. IMPRESS BY BUILDING

Building is absolutely uncomplicated and easy. First bag allows you to build vibration stamper, road signs and barriers and lower part of the compactor. Second bag keeps upper part of compactor. 25 minutes and all is built-up.

4. IMPRESS WHEN BUILT - LOOKOUT

I don´t have any complaint, compactor looks quite well, with enough of details. Size ratio to minifigs is authentic as well..

5. IMPRESS WHEN BUILT - PLAYABILITY

Could be good (I am not a child any longer). Two figs, maneuvrable front part of compactor allows to change a driving direction. What I really hate, that the cabin with glass is not fixed enough to compactors body and falls out again and again.

6. GENERAL IMPRESS

Nice add-on to City line, but, in my opinion, not offending, not exciting...

7. FINAL RESULT

I can suggest this set for children, they will probably like it. For AFOLs , like me, I think no need to buy. Even if this set will be not expensive, I am bit fed up of all those Build Theme sets. Even as a parts source no need to buy.

7746_misb_-_1_-_1.jpg

7746_misb_-_1_-_2.jpg

7746_misb_-_1_-_3.jpg

7746_misb_-_1_-_5.jpg

7746_misb_-_1_-_6.jpg

7746_misb_-_1_-_7.jpg

7746_misb_-_1_-_8.jpg

Edited by Rick

Here is a tutorial on how to Post Deeplinked Images. Since you are not using Brickshelf, ignore that part. The link button and pasting the URL are all it takes. No one can upload pictures for all of their reviews...

Thanks for bringing us the review!

Thanks for a review of another new set! This was one of my favourites of the new construction sets from the beginning, and i think i may get that in the next weeks.

Here is a tutorial on how to Post Deeplinked Images. Since you are not using Brickshelf, ignore that part. The link button and pasting the URL are all it takes. No one can upload pictures for all of their reviews...

Thanks for bringing us the review!

Thanks, I have noticed only 15 kb picture limit when posting, not the option for image linking. Now uploaded to BS and corrected :classic:

Thank you for the review Kanal. I agree with what you said:

"For AFOLs , like me, I think no need to buy. Even if this set will be not expensive, I am bit fed up of all those Build Theme sets. Even as a parts source no need to buy."

I resist buying the new sets because although they are fantastic looking, many times when you build these sets up you realize how little it takes to mold a particular portion (as they come prefabbed). Sometimes I feel ripped off, I don't know if I"m buying Legos are any other ordinary toy that requires a little assembly. It is as though they've taken the bricks out of Legos, literally.

What I do love is the plane in Peril in Peru. If these new sets looked more like that, with more bricks I'll grab 'em in a second. But as an AFOL I'm turned off, as much as I want to buy it I know I won't enjoy it after building it.

I think the last few years have seen a vast improvement in set design in the last two years, and the great new construction sets reflect that with their sophisticated builds and brick-built detail. Sometimes the memory cheats. If you go back and look at a lot of sets from the Classic era of the 80s, you may find they are smaller than you remember and often have fewer bricks than modern sets. Lego also seems to have scaled down as well, so we are somewhere between the very small sets of the 80s and the overlarge vehicles such as the 2005 dump truck and crane vehicle. However realism seems to be more of a concern as well these days, if you compare the large new construction site to its smaller (and a bit more random) 2005 cousin.

Edited by svelte_corps

Interesting set. I never realized those castle wheels could actually be useful for something.

Looking close, it seems that the hinge for steering is one of those big click hinges ? as seen in ExoForce?

That seems a bit dubious for playability...

Depending on the price I'll have to consider this one, but I think the bulldozer definetly will be purchased first...

Interesting set. I never realized those castle wheels could actually be useful for something.

I love reading posts like this. So many people see large pieces released in a set and automaticly label them as "<insert that tiresome argument>" and useless anywhere else. This is one of those times where that is prozen other wise! Good job TLC!

I really like this set. It fits in really well with current Lego construction sets and if i'm correct, is the first steam roller we've recieved. Nice!

I need to get my grubby hands on this once it gets a US release. I'm hoping it'll be $19.99, but I've got a sinking feeling it'll be $29.99. :(

I like the concept of this set, but it seems quite large to fit comfortably in a city. I too, think it will be $29.99, as the Dump Truck was $19.99 and this seems larger.

Thanks for that nice review, Kanal-K1.

A steamroller... now that´s pretty cool. A neat and distinct looking craft,

and these hexagonal parts and slopes with holes at the sides of the roller´re new to me...

What more to say... ach, of course:

Muhahaha... a steamroller... watch out - I´m on the run! :devil:

I don't need lots of people tellin' me what to do

I don't need a long haired baby to love me true as true

All I need is a rock and roll band and somewhere new to play

And I'm on my way

I'm on my way

I'm a rock and roll gypsy

And I'm on the run

Helen Schneider

:tongue: