1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello all Eurobricks members and Town Lovers,

Today, I will be doing up the second item in the SHELL Promotional series in 1999. There are a total of eleven promotional sets which made up of six impulse sets and five medium sized sets. These promo sets were bought in 2000 from United States (California), when my family and I are on vacation. Unfortunately, these promo sets that I have are not complete. :sadnew:

Starting with this impulse set, is a very small police patrol car that cruise around the City streets to ensure law and order is enforced. :classic:

Name: Patrol Car

Theme: LEGO System / Town / Promotional / SHELL

Year: 1999

Pieces: 31

Minifigs: 1

Price: USD$1.70

Resources: Brickset, Peeron

An image of a 1247, Patrol Car

1.jpg

Crusing downhill

normal_5~1.jpg

A neat little police car with a female police officer is certainly uncommon these days. Using the primary color combination of black and white certainly tells us that this is a police car, even though there is no printed parts or stickers to indicate that it's from the Police Department.

Female Police Officer

normal_3.jpg

This hot chick is a police officer. She wears a police leather jacket pattern with her shiny gold badge placed on her left chest. It's very uncommon to see female police officers in LEGO Town, especially when this occupation is pre-dominated by male.

I will love to get more of these for the mini figure. In fact, this is an inexpensive way to get more female minifigs to be added to your town and into the ranks of the Police Department. :wub:

Taking it apart

normal_7~1.jpg

The car's design is very simple. There is no unique parts used. The white car mudguard component is quite commonly used in the late 1990s. There is no white doors as well, on the side of the car. It's quite sad to see such design no longer has any car doors anymore. The 6506 Precinct Cruiser has the similar shape and design as the 1247 but it does not have any doors by its side. I still miss the days that doors are used. :blush:

9.jpg

Rear of the patrol car

normal_4~1.jpg

See you next time

normal_2~2.jpg

This is a very good impulse set to bring in more female minifigs for your Police Department. Apart from that, I am not really very fond of this set, especially the design of the car. If this set is ever re-released again or a similar design, I am pretty sure this impulse set will snap up fast. Why? Because you are able to get a female minifig at a very low price. :blush:

Summary review

Playability: 7.0/10 (Use it to patrol the streets.)

Design: 5/10 (Very simple design. Points deducted for not having doors and printed police signs or stickers)

Price: 10/10 (This set is very inexpensive to obtain a female police officer )

Overall: 7.3/10 (This vehicle is a "nice to have" kind of vehicle. If you are interested in racing or go cart, this is the set for you.)

I gave it a "3" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

I used to to have all the Shell sets, including this one, my favorite was the little plane, with the guy who had the hook on his hands.

I got this set, In 2001 in Hawaii on holiday! :cry_happy:

Its a really good set I will need to rebuild it also it came with a female minifig which is always a plus+ :thumbup::cry_happy:

I voted "Outstanding" :thumbup::cry_happy:

Edited by Darth_Legois

I have all of these tiny Shell sets too. I think you could get them for free if you bought enough gas, although I don't remember for sure now. There were also a couple of larger Shell sets around that time that were quite nice, especially the Model Team Ferrari.

This car is nothing special, but the female cop is nice. I modified my 6398 Central Precinct HQ to have a small parking garage and put this car inside.

Edited by CP5670

Thanks for all of your comments. I supposed this set's main attraction is this beautiful female police officer. :wub:

sigh... even with whitefangs great review,i have to give this set a 2. I would have given it a 1, but since it came with a female figure, i felt i couldn't give it the lowest score. To me this set just doesn't impress. Though i felt even as a promo/impulse set, they could have done much better.

Sometimes, less is beautiful, but in this case i think that this phrase does not apply.

I am a Classic Town fan but i can't find something that could make me like this set. The only thing that it can be used as an excuse is that it was a Promo set so it saves it from 1. I give it a 2.

The review on the other hand was great! Thanks Whitefang!

sigh... even with whitefangs great review,i have to give this set a 2. I would have given it a 1, but since it came with a female figure, i felt i couldn't give it the lowest score. To me this set just doesn't impress. Though i felt even as a promo/impulse set, they could have done much better.
Sometimes, less is beautiful, but in this case i think that this phrase does not apply.

I am a Classic Town fan but i can't find something that could make me like this set. The only thing that it can be used as an excuse is that it was a Promo set so it saves it from 1. I give it a 2.

The review on the other hand was great! Thanks Whitefang!

I appericiate both of your honest comments. First of all, every set deserve a review one way or another, to complete our index and showcase sets which has done or not done before, in order to expose our members to a greater perspective, regardless of the sets' advantages and disadvantages, so we are able to discuss and state our opnions and feelings towards the review/featured set.

For a promotional set, I did not have high expectations about this set, and during that time, it was actually during my dark age. I am doing this few SHELL promo reviews, for memories and sharing these with others whom may or may not have seen this in gas stations. As for me, I only have a chance to own this set while I was aboard. Perhaps, that was one of the nostalgic reason.

Pertaining to the set, I agreed that the set is isn't much impressive, and I have actually rated it a "3" instead of anything below. As far as I have noted among these SHELL promo series in 1999, this set is not actually the worst looking or one of my lowest rated sets among my reviews. I will post it once I have finalised it.

First of all, every set deserve a review one way or another, to complete our index and showcase sets which has done or not done before, in order to expose our members to a greater perspective, regardless of the sets' advantages and disadvantages, so we are able to discuss and state our opnions and feelings towards the review/featured set.

I 100% agree with you WhiteFang.

If my comment about this set sounded a bit hard, it has nothing to do with "reviewing only great sets" factor. In fact i too believe what you're saying. The more sets are been reviewed, the better and more exact perspective we have about them. When we are able to see detailed photos and opinions from the actual builders is a direct assist to a potential buyer of a particular set.

I have personally read almost all City sets reviews, even those that i wasn't interested at the beginning (still referring to sets).Can we have all sets reviewed? That would be the best.

After all, that's what reviews are for.

Oh, did i forget to mention that your reviews are great? :sweet:

That's a small set, but a beauty, especially the nice minifigure in it. Thanks for the review.

Do you mind if I review the Shell raft set, or are you planning on reviewing it? :wink:

Edited by Matn

Can we have all sets reviewed? That would be the best.

After all, that's what reviews are for.

Oh, did i forget to mention that your reviews are great? :sweet:

Yes, we are encouraging members to contribute more Classic Town reviews. Reviewers Academy and Classic-Town.net, both are working together to bring in more of such reviews, hoping to complete our town reviews index one day.

Thanks for your very kind words. :wub:

That's a small set, but a beauty, especially the nice minifigure in it. Thanks for the review.

Do you mind if I review the Shell raft set, or are you planning on reviewing it? :wink:

Thanks Matn. Is this the 2537 Extreme Team Raft review which you refer to? Even if it has been reviewed before, multiple reviews are strongly encouraged. We could always need a couple of similar reviews with different opnions and presentation.