Sign in to follow this  
Derek

Review: 8956 Power Miners ~ Stone Chopper

First off, I ask that you excuse me for these terrible pictures.

Second, this is my first review, take it easy on me.

8956 Stone Chopper

31 pieces/ 2 extras

$5.99 USD

Bulid time: 5 minutes

Packaging and Manual

100_5432.jpg

I saw this set in the very scarce Lego aisle at Target today. It was the only Power Miners set, and it was the smallest Lego set they had period.

100_5439.jpg

The set comes with one manual, the same size as the one for the Castle Crossbow Attack.

100_5441.jpg

Like other sets, this one has an inventory in the back of the book. The back had pictures of atlernate models, the other sets, and their respective rock monsters, which leads us to-

Minifigures

100_5433.jpg

Comes with one miner, with double sided face. I tried taking more detailed pictures, but my camera is a piece of crap. :tongue: The red rock monster is very nice, in fact I think its the best part of the set. :thumbup:

The Set

100_5435.jpg

31 pieces, most of which are large. The build took around 5 minutes, give or take.

100_5436.jpg

100_5437.jpg

The bike itself is built in a clever way, I think it is similar to the Bat-bike that was included in Harley Quinn's truck set in the Batman line. However, there is just something about it that is just :sceptic: Oh, and there is a DSS with 4 stickers on it. The model won't be affected too much if you don't apply them.

100_5445.jpg

There are two leftovers, not uncommon for a set this size.

Overall

100_5442.jpg

Don't get me wrong, this is a nifty little set. However, there is just something that seems to be missing. The rock monster is by far the best part of the set, but the minifigure is pretty nice as well.

Ratings

Price- 7/10, $5.99 seems a little much for a set with 31 pieces. :sceptic: $4.99 would have been more appropriate.

Pieces- 6/10, Nothing too special, but a few cool ones, like the red crystal, and orange and lime pieces.

Price:Pieces- 3/10, 31 pieces for 6 bucks. Meh. :sad:

Build- 4/10, It was over not long before you start. Pretty straightforward, no confusion.

Model- 6/10, Its okay, but there could have been just a little something more to make it better.

Minifigs- 10/10, 2 great minifigs in a $6 set. No complaints here.

Overall- 7/10, if you see it pick it up, but don't get too excited, you will be somewhat letdown.

Hope you enjoyed my first review! :grin:

Happy Holidays!

-darthperson

Edited by darthperson

Thanks for giving us a view of this set! :classic:

I agree with you that this set somehow lacks character, but it's a good way to get a Power Miner and a rock monster at a small price.

If you want to learn how to make great reviews, I would suggest joining the Reviewers Academy.

Thanks again! :sweet:

This set is probably the weakest of the Power Miners line.

It doesn't have to be, it's a nice little set - cuts through stone (including Rockmonsters :tongue:), I have this set myself and got it for EUR 5,49, not bad for 2 minifigs, a nice little vehicle and a red crystal.

I got this set together with the 8957 Mining Mech, and it's possible that it costs a bit too much cause of the printed backs and reversible heads, that costs a little more for TLC to make.

Thanks for the review, darthperson. Perhaps you should join the Reviewers Academy to hone your photography skills?

As for the set, I personally don't think that it is that bad- $6 for two great figs and a cool bike isn't bad at all. If anything, get it for the pieces. Sure, it may be a little overpriced, but what is two bucks compared to what you get in the set? I'll be picking this one up as soon as I see it in stores. :classic:

I actually like this set and I agree with Jim :thumbup:

It's quite a nifty set, the bike looks fun and it's good to get this rock monster on a cheap set. But I got to say, the whole PM line is overpriced :sceptic:

I have this set and now that I have seen a review after I got it I now weather it is a good one or not. Yours passed! Great review but for some reason I think it looks like a small version of my crystal sweeper! :laugh:

Well, I bought this set since it was a cheap way to get another rock monster, miner, and some saw blades...

Kinda a wierd vehicle. Not sure exactly how he's supposed to 'chop stone' with it; crash headfirst into walls with his saw wheels?

It would be a much stronger set if it came with some accessories like the new dynamite or maybe a minifig chainsaw or jackhammer so he's got some plausible way to mine crystals...

Well, I guess the best bet for this set is to take it's saw blades and technic beams and make it into a saw mounted on one of the larger vehicles...