Big Pete

Star Wars Magnets Sets

indexed.gif

I guess this warrants it's own thread ... sorry if it doesn't. I did a search, but couldn't see anything else on it.

I bought this today from the Lego Shop in Brighton ... price, £8.74.

NewMagnets01.jpg

The best bit ?! The figures are absolutely normal and they attach to the magnet bricks via studs. The figures are NOT glued in any way. The lightsaber hilts are the powder chrome and so it the bowcaster for Chewie.

Awesome.

The magnet brick is basically a 2 x 4 brick size with modified plate 3 x 2 with a hole attached (see pic below).

NewMagnets02.jpg

And, for reference, this is what the magnet brick is like from the back

NewMagnets03.jpg

My only gripe is the blister pack packaging which you have to semi destroy to get to them.

I VERY MUCH hope we get more of these kind of magnet sets. It could be a great way to get rare figs.

Edited by Stash2Sixx
updated

Well, yes this warrants it's own thread as you've done more of a review than just news posting.

It has been mentioned in the 2009 picture and rumor thread.

The pic from S@H is actually in the first post.

Thanks for the pic :thumbup:

Shop@Home pictures:

852554-0000-xx-13-1.jpg

852554-0000-xx-33-1.jpg

ah, I did see the S@H pics had been posted, but yes I guess this is a review in a way. So hoorah for me not breaking any rules! :D

So they're regular minifigs that attach by the magnet bricks! Awesome! I could just y 2 of these and have 4 new lightsabers!

I visited the Lego store at Hillsdale Mall yesterday and saw this new StarWars lego magnet set. There is also a 2nd set from the Indiana Jones line, featuring, Indy himself, Indy, Sr and Marion. What caught my eye was the 'torch' Marion was holding. It was a dark brown carrot with a fire-piece on top. An employee pointed out that these 2 magnet sets are newly released. Unfortunately, I backed out when I saw the price at $14.99 plus tax.

They look nice, but I have a question: are they just magnets or also like normal minifigs? What's different about the magnet versions of minifigs? I know that they are like magnets, but not sure what else is different 'bout it..

Just wanted to know before buying them.

EDIT: NVM only read the first post..

Edited by General Magma

They look nice, but I have a question: are they just magnets or also like normal minifigs? What's different about the magnet versions of minifigs? I know that they are like magnets, but not sure what else is different 'bout it..

Just wanted to know before buying them.

EDIT: NVM only read the first post..

The old magnet minifigures were basically minifigures with a magnet stuck in the torso and then the torso glued to the legs. Other than that, they were exactly the same.

I don't know about these new ones though, since they have a magnet in the base, they don't need to have a magnet in the body.

Thanks for the mini review. :classic: The figures aren't all that interesting to me, since I'll get the new Vader in the TIE Advanced. There's Chewie, but nothing has changed with him (which is probably a good thing). Finally, there's Obi Wan, with a comm link. again, nothing special, but these aren't CW style, so now we know that TLG isn't completely ignoring everything but the CW. :tongue:

By the way, when you say "powdered chrome", do you mean metallic (or pearl) silver? Or do the pieces have the real chrome paint on them, which became to expensive for TLG to produce? I can't really tell in the pics...

Edit: Never mind about that last part, the weapons are metallic. I'm pleasantly surprised that chrome and metallic lightsaber hilts look so similar. :thumbup:

Edited by JimButcher

Hooray! I'm glad LEGO decided to do this since it wouldn't destroy the minifigs(as if anyone buys these to use as magnets :hmpf_bad: ) So now you can have a magnet and a minifis(also you can use the piece to make any kind of magnet you want just swap the minifig) Genious idea TLC!

Woo.. What a relief now that the minifigures are removable and playable then I will buy them for collection. Good thing I didn't buy the Death Star. Isn't a Jango fett one also going to come out? It was in the 2009 thread but then removed.

When is this item going to be released in the US?

The answer was only posted just before you asked your question when AFOL SF said "I visited the Lego store at Hillsdale Mall yesterday and saw this new StarWars lego magnet set. "

I will propably get them too! Since I want the vader but dont seem to want to get the tie! Thanks for the review :classic:

overpriced, but i may get the indy set when they go on clearance.

Good for you, but this is the Star Wars forum and we really don't care about Dr Jones :tongue:

I'll be getting these for sure.

Probanly even more than once.

Now I can have a changing exhibition of Star Wars minifigs on my refrigerator.

With a little adjustment I'll surely be able to fit the tauntaun or Jabba to one of those magnets.

Sorry for getting this topic back up.

Can you remove the minifigs from the magnet bricks?

Perhaps you should have actually read the topic while you bumped it? ;)

The magnets are totally sepereate from them, the minifigs are exactly the same as the ones you get in the normal Lego sets.

Cool! Will these sets be sold out quickly? I think I will buy 4 of each set. they should be great for trading with other collectors against other figures :tongue:

Edited by Raptor

This is really great news to all SW minifig collectors (just like me)! This way we no longer have to buy large expensive sets just to get the oh-so-cool minifigs.

By the way, there are other yet-to-be-released magnet sets (images from Brickshelf).

852551 - Young Anakin Skywalker, Naboo Fighter, Darth Maul

3251761505_bef3866214_o.jpg

852552 - Boba Fett, Slave Leia, Imperial Royal Guard

3251761515_1ef9602cb3_o.jpg

852553 - Imperial Scout Trooper, Rebel Alliance Pilot, Imperial Trooper?

3251761521_603e399944_o.jpg

852554 - Chewbacca, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader

3251761525_0478c40f8b_o.jpg

852555 - CW Yoda, Count Dooku, Mace Windu

3251761527_dce21e6913_o.jpg

Gotta get all of these! Just imagine, at 50 euros, you'll be able to get 15 SW minifigs with an assortment of weapons/accessories! What a great way for TLG to commemorate 10 years of LEGO Star Wars! :thumbup:

Thanks for the mini review :thumbup: Althoguh it's overpriced I probably will get it! Although it depends whether it shows up in stores and not just online :sceptic: Does anyone know if it will or not?

Btw is that Boba one availible yet?

Thanks for the mini review :thumbup: Althoguh it's overpriced I probably will get it! Although it depends whether it shows up in stores and not just online :sceptic: Does anyone know if it will or not?

Btw is that Boba one availible yet?

The magnetsets will only be available in LEGO Stores and S@H. The only SW magnets available are Dooku and Vader, the others will follow in a week or more, I guess.

I find the prices more than fair. 9,99€ for one set makes 3,33€ for one figure with weapon AND magnetbrick. I ordered the Dooku set a few hours ago with a PM set. Best deal of all time. I just need another magnetset with the TCW Palpatine, Anakin and Jetpack Clone.^^

So if these figs are normal ones available at a cheap price, won't this destroy BL sellers who make profits off of rare figs?(I mean $15 for Dooku, Yoda, and Mace) Dooku alone is topping $40 on BL. Also does this interfere with Hasbros "no minifig only sets" or is there a loophole since they are magnets?

Yes but bricklink's profit isnt TLC's fault, bricklink is not a website authorised by them. Besides it's Lego' company so they can actually sell us whatever the hell they want