How do you rate this set?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5?

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 1 - Poor

Did you guys notice that "Steve" the rare trader guy has a wrong minifig head on the picture on the front of the SES box? He's got Redbeard's head, and not the brown bearded face

I voted above average. It's a good ship but...

The colours are a bit messed up. In this case less would've been more.

The captain's cabin's design looks rushed compared to what we had in BSB. I couldn't care less for the rudder mechanism. I'd remove it and put some extra stuff in the cabin.

For some reason I never liked rotating cannons, the classic design with wheels would've worked much better.

It's still a classic set but it just doesn't deserve as many points as BSB... THAT was a masterpiece, this is just a good-looking pirate vessel.

Did you guys notice that "Steve" the rare trader guy has a wrong minifig head on the picture on the front of the SES box? He's got Redbeard's head, and not the brown bearded face

Yes, and it has a thinner beard than RedBeard too. Hmm... :pir-tongue:

Wow, Brickmoor... err, Blackmoor is just now seeing some of these reviews. :pir_laugh2:

I agree about the gun port doors. Mine actually had green lanterns, but I had no problem with that as I think they go with the doors nicely. :pir-classic:

Great review. For me the 6286 SES is the best, number one lego pirate ship of all time.

I think the colour scheme is great (even the blue table!), the parts are great, the build is great and the anchor raising/lowering arrangment to be more interesting and realistic when compared to a winch. I love that the rudder atually works via the wheel and pretty much everything about it. Just wish I could get a decent one cheaper than they are currently going on bricklink like you did :pir-classic:

Thanks for the review and pics, I remember back then in 1993 this set was around 300RM (in my country's currency) and of course, I can't afford it though..

Unfortunately I have always thinking that the Imperial Soldier/Guard should have a bigger ship back then, in fact they are "Imperial" they ought to have a bigger ship than the pirates, anyway it's just a thought though nevermind that.. :pir-cry_happy:

Maybe someone should edit the post a few lines above, so we don't have to load ALL the pictures again here on page 3.

Thanks for all the positive comments and the interesting views on the ship's design and color scheme.

The new QAR cabin area looks very much like the SES cabin which is kind of cool and a great tribute to SES (although unintentional).

I hope to find the time to spice up this review even more, as there are still some pictures I am unhappy with.

Edited by Lorentzen

Whats the deals with the cannons with the emblem and fuse hole?

Those are the US non-shooting cannons. In the rest of the world the cannons could shoot

Apparantly US children can't be trusted with dangerous toys.

Now that the review has resurfaced I might have a chance to throw in a few comments about the biggest pirate ship I have.

I love the Skull’s Eye Schooner. It was THE pirate ship I admired in the catalogues. I did know from pictures that the Black Seas Barracuda did exist, but at the time I though the sails were odd compared to the SES and the Renegade Runner who both had the same types of sails.

The review is very informative and illustrative. I agree on most parts.

For some funny reason I never liked the figurehead (and it’s even worse on the Red Beard Runner, couldn’t they have used half a skeleton instead?).

Personally I think that this is the best battle ship, most cannons that can be pointed out to one side (unless those brick build ones are dummies) and largest crew. We will have to wait and see if Queen Anne’s Revenge can change that opinion; it at least seems to have more cannon ports.

I have for some time had the funny idea of giving the big ships different functions.

The Black Seas Barracuda is a prestige ship because it looks so good.

The Skull’s Eye Schooner is a warship because of its better cannon distribution and large crew.

The Red Beard Runner is an old and somewhat battle worn reserve ship that holds some personal value for Captain Roger Redbeard because of the level of customisation.

I absolutely love the design of this ship. I wanted one so badly as a kid, but never got one. When I got back into my old Lego Pirate sets a few years ago, purchasing a SES off Ebay became priority #1! lol

I do agree that the colors are just a little "off" though. For some reason the BSB has a better look to it. But I do enjoy the functionality of the SES and I like the black and white sails more than the typical red / blue / white sails. :jollyroger:

This is an outstanding ship though, and a fun one to mod with different colors, ect... 5/5 for me.

BEST PIRATE SHIP EVER!!!!

and probably best pirate set!

i have argued about why is the best ship plenty of times in this forum, so this time i only say: i have voted 5

Anyone care to fix the title? It is supposed to be "REVIEW", not "REIVEW"!

As a set I always wanted this as a child, but now much prefer the BSB.

BSB and SES are two fantastic ships. But the BSB is a little better designed.

First of all it is very obvious, that SES is a pirate ship. Not very clever, if you want to come close to an enemies ship for boarding.

In Addition BSB is the only ship of Lego, that is fully armed. Every other set contains only half the cannons, the ship should have, so you have to switch the cannons. Sure, you can buy more cannons, but SES cannons do not have weels... thay are built on a turntable!

BSB has some kind of deck! Even it is just 2 studs wide, it can used for puting walking/ fighting minifigs on it! SESs Deck is the cannondeck, so the sailors have to cross a wall, that is higher as an minifig. Not very good for bording a ship or to abandon it, if it is going down!

However, the steering mechanism is very nice! As much as its working crane. But all in all I think, the BSB is a little bit superior. If BSB scored 10/10, SES scores 9,9/10! SES is a very nice ship and a "Must have" for every Pirate fan!

Sadly after the SES, the pirate ships were not designed very well. RBR looks very strange because of the colored hull, the damaged sails and the stern castle... and the BB is just a low quality BSB copy with terrible yards!

Edited by josykay

Personally I have always preferred the cannon setup type on the SES.

Perhaps it’s something about realism/partial look vs. playability/functionality, as I have always enjoyed being able to point as many cannons out to one side, and the BSB does as far as I know not have the cannon ports to make this a possibility.

hmmm its nice but i think it would be cool to see that ses vs imperial flag ship both have for canons but one is a lot taller then the other but i think both of them put to gather would not stand a chase agents the queen ans revenge being that it has five cannons but other thane that it's a nice ship

Always wanted one as a kid. Now that I'm able to I'm tracking down all of the LEGO pirate ships. Just bought a complete one of these off Bricklink (and of course by "complete" the seller actually meant "missing some pieces with some other pieces swapped for different colour ones"; I was able to compensate with pieces from my own collection). Have to say I love the design of this ship. I haven't built my BSB yet (also advertised as complete, and also missing pieces...) so I can't compare it to that, but my only real comments about this ship is the relatively spartan cabin and only 4 cannon for an 8 gunports.

Otherwise, great set. The build was very fun.

That's my first pirate ship. My parents bought it for me when I was 9 or 10 years old. I could not help myself opening it while I was in the car. I have rebuilt it for three times. I really love it.