Sign in to follow this  
Etzel

Review: 6743 Creator ~ Street Speeder

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Today I managed to pick up one of the new 2009 Creator sets at my local toy shop. They also had 6745 and 6747 but I didn't fancy them :wink:

There was also the 8401 Minifigure Collection but I think I will wait until after Christmas to get that set.

Set number: 6743

Set name: Street Speeder

Release year: Should be 2009 but I'm not complaining :tongue:

Piece count: 165

Price: 129.50 SEK, that is about $16 but the S@H price in the US is $12.99. Should be about €11.99.

Front of the box:

lego_6743_001.jpg

Back of the box:

lego_6743_002.jpg

The pieces and instruction manuals:

lego_6743_004.jpg

Random page:

lego_6743_006.jpg

Inventory:

lego_6743_007.jpg

lego_6743_008.jpg

Building process:

lego_6743_016.jpg

lego_6743_017.jpg

There isn't enough room to fit a minifig in the car but it should be possible with some modding. The car is almost minifig scale and I think it would look nice in a LEGO town.

The finished car:

lego_6743_018.jpg

lego_6743_019.jpg

Back:

lego_6743_020.jpg

Extra parts:

lego_6743_009.jpg

The alternative models are not as good as the first one but still nice:

lego_6743_021.jpg

lego_6743_022.jpg

And:

lego_6743_023.jpg

lego_6743_024.jpg

What's this? The Street Speeder seems to have time travelled back to the middle ages and has been found by a surprised knight!

lego_6743_025.jpg

But the clever knight finds a good use for the car:

lego_6743_026.jpg

:tongue:

I think this set is really good. It's cheap, has a great design and lots of useful parts. The colour scheme is nice and I always welcome sets with green parts - they are great for landscaping. The only drawback I can think of is that it would be nice with opening hood and roof but I guess that would be hard to incorporate in such a small vehicle.

So this is my ratings:

Overall design: 5/5 It's lovely! :wub: The green and white fits perfectly, I wish I had one of those in real life. I wonder if it's runs on bio fuel? :laugh:

Playability: 3/5 Well, everybody can play with toy cars but you soon find out that it doesn't get more fun with time. Sure, the wheels are rolling and the doors are opening and closing but that's about it. But the car is really nice to just look at so having it as a display is also an option.

Pieces: 4/5 Good amount of pieces compared to the price I think, and a good way to stack up on green plates.

Price: 4/5 I think the price is fair. This is a set even kids can buy for their own money and I think they will.

Overall rating: 4/5 I really like this set but I'm not giving it a 5 because I save those for extraordinary sets (like Medieval Market :wink: )

Well, this was my first review. I hope you liked it!

/Etzel

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Thank you for this first review, I am sure a prospering career lies ahead. :classic:

I like this car, it is nice, but I prefer it's predecessor: the yellow car from a few years back. Still it has some common piesces in quite a rare colour so I might just pick it's up when I find it on sale somewhere.

The Street Speeder bears shocking resemblance to the yellow Cool Cars set, but that second model looks very good.

Thanks for all the pictures, I might get this set myself next year...

I think it's misleading that it appears to be steering on the front picture of the box, whereas it cannot steer.

It's a good set but it's a modified version of Cool Cars with different colours... :sceptic:

Also Cool Cars seems to be steering in the picture of the box, it's very misleading! They do computer rendering and modify the picture too! I want real picture on the box, not rendering!! :wacko:

Great Review!

Pros: Lego is starting to do some more Hot Rod inspired models! I hope they get far more fancy, and flashy. ...I also love these affordable, cute sets.

Con: Steering on the cover yet no steering on the product!? What is TLG thinking? Is that even legal here in the states? ...that's false advertising. :thumbdown:

Can a fig sit inside the car?

Unfortunately not. The roof is 2 plates to low and on the drivers side the steering wheel is in the way.

Interesting that they've brought back this part instead of using the regular windshield that they've used in City/ Creator sets for the last few years:

3939.png

Maybe a sign of things to come for the new Space Police line? It was often a feature of classic Space sets... :wink:

EDIT: I do notice that it does look a little different though. Interesting. New mould then, or have I missed something?

Edited by svelte_corps

A very good review about a IMHO reasonably good set. It are just those high prices that hold me back from buying this kind of Creator sets (maybe I'll buy some if someone would ever build/release some good Pirate or Castle LEGO Creator "sets"...)

Still it is a nice car and it has some good bricks of rare color. I also like the steering wheel and the fact it is 8 dots broad.

Edited by zorro3999

Thanks for the review, I didn't even know there was brown in this set! I'll be sure to get it now...

Thanks for the review Etzel.

Im also dissapointed that the car cant steer as clearly 'advertised' on the front of the box. I was intriged as to how the steering worked for this model and would have been the primary reason that I'd buy the set.

Its a good thing Ive seen this review, as I would have been quite dissapointed to buy the set only to find out then. I hope Lego doesnt make a habbit of this, I hate to say it but it is kind of... errr false advertising :cry_sad: . Aside from that its a nice little model, and yes I agree, the green pieces are cool.

Nice set, but as others have said, the steering deception is not nice. I did expect that's what it was, but others may not. On a similar note, I wish they would ditch the CG covers. I realise it's easier for them, but it's also deceptive. I'll probably buy this still.

Thanks for the review. :sweet:

EDIT: I do notice that it does look a little different though. Interesting. New mould then, or have I missed something?

Yes, you have! :tongue: It's a new, but very similar part.

58181.1193363490.jpg

Etzel, nice review for your very first attempt. Have you been reading up the reviews in Eurobricks? :classic: If you are interested in doing reviews, sign up for Reviewers Academy.

Before I read your review, I was skeptical towards this set, but in this review, you have provided good insights and given much more hope to purchase this instead of shelving it aside. Most of the time, my Creators purchase consist mainly of houses instead of its vehicles. However, this set is attractive with its awesome green paint. The downside for this set, will be its steering wheel capability and the space constraints for a minifig to be placed as the driver. Other than that, this is a fine set. Thanks for sharing with us! :thumbup:

Thank you for the nice review. :classic:

Although this set is not very special it is a nice set with many green and new light grey plates. So maybe I will get this set.