Sign in to follow this  
Swab

HMS Achilles (new rigging)

thindexedgif.gif 66d

This is the latest addition to the Achilles; string ratlines. I've never been satisfied with the Lego ratlines (they don't look very real and you can't move the yardarms).

dscn0451.jpg

The rigging took a while. The vertical strings on each mast are continuous. I used black technic plates (with the holes) along the channels. I'd tie a knot in one end then thread the string up through each top and over the mast to the other side. I then threaded the string through a hole and then over to the next one. Then back up the mast and so on. All the while threading those little black technic things on. I left lots of slack in the lines after I'd finished threading. Then I'd tie a piece around the mast at each yardarm.

dscn0453.jpg

I used a thinner string for the horizontal parts of the ratlines (see brickshelf for photos). The thin string burns really well too, so if or when you melt the ends like I did be ready to blow it out! I found out the hard way. I also added a fore stay, and also a few changes to the quarter galleries and catheads.

dscn0456.jpg

Another addition you might notice is the "ocean" that the ship is sailing through. I made it out of salt dough on a cardboard base. Strips of cardboard were glued under the thicker areas like the waves to save on salt dough. I taped up the bottom of the ship so it wouldn't stick and used it as a mold (the ship lifts right off, it's not stuck). The whole thing took a month or 2 to dry completely, but i bet if you did it a little at a time it would dry faster. I topped it off with a blue/green acrylic paint.

dscn0459.jpg

dscn0460.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Swab

Edited by SlyOwl

HMS Achilles sounds like it is a mighty fine ship. Can't wait to see the pictures! Maybe you can tell us a bit about how it's going to look like?

HMS Achilles sounds like it is a mighty fine ship. Can't wait to see the pictures! Maybe you can tell us a bit about how it's going to look like?

Search Achilles on Brickshelf, you'll find the old version.

Swab

Doesn't it have a thread?

Yes it does actually. I just added pictures to my Brickshelf folder so he probably won't find it, but it does have a thread from a while back.

Mr. Swab

Would this be the ship you're adding the new rigging to?

I would suggest posting progress pictures of your rigging.

It's real easy to edit the final version into the first post.

Mr. Swab

Would this be the ship you're adding the new rigging to?

I would suggest posting progress pictures of your rigging.

It's real easy to edit the final version into the first post.

Yes sir, that'd be her.

Thanks for that Phred! Just a tip - if you want to have a successful thread an idea would be to take this link and put it in your first post so that people can have a comparison.

I agree! It's always nice to see progress in a ship's build.

You've done a great job with the new rigging! It looks very realistic!

Are you planning to build more ships in the future?