Sign in to follow this  
BlueBard

About the "new" pirate map...

New "pirate" maps  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the maps from the new Lego Pirate line?

• Yes, I think they work perfectly with the pirate line.
    • Yes, but I prefer the old ones.
    • No, I think they're too IJ specific.
    • No, they're ugly. I don't even like it for IJ sets.
    • I didn't notice it.
    • I don't care about this.

The first time I saw pictures from the new Lego pirate line I didn't like it pretty much... :pir-hmpf_bad: Well, now I've seen more detailed views and I can say they're not so bad and some of the sets quite interesting! Here, in Spain we'll have to wait until march or april but I think I'll buy a couple of it. :pir-wink:

Anyway what I can understand about these new sets are the "pirate" maps... They're from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade! They represent the road from the city with no name until the secret canyon where lies the grail, there's not even a bit of sea! :pir_mad: I mean, TLC have allways released new map designs for its new lines (Adventurers or even Agents) and now, for the new pirates, where a map is such an essential element they give us the IJ map again that, in my opinion doesn't work at all. :pir-look:

What do you think?

Thanks for voting in my first poll! :pir-wink:

The old -

3068bpx9.1223294704.jpg

And the new -

3068bpx142.1198975899.jpg

I think this threads would really benefit from pictures of each map - would anyone like to source them down?

Here's a whole bunch of map pics, courtesy of Peeron.com! :pir-grin:

By the way, I like the new map, but I think the older ones look more appropriate for the Pirates line.

-Toa Of Justice

Edited by Toa_Of_Justice

I voted I don't really care, partly because I probably won't have the sets for ages anyway)

A map's a map. The only possible problem with this one is I can't see any sea on it. :jollyroger:

I liked the old one better (for pirates that is), you can see the sea at least.

The "new" one is the map from Henry Jones' grail diary, so not very "piratey".

Edited by Fluyt

I love the new map but it doesn't fit in with the pirate line in the slightest bit. Especially as it includes specific features form the Last Crusade... :pir-sceptic:

Edited by Razzer

I love the new map but it doesn't fit in with the pirate line in the slightest bit. Especially as it includes specific features form the Last Crusade... :pir-sceptic:

Yea, the new one looks good with a lot of detail, but the old one actually looked like it could be for the pirates line... :imperialguard_commander1:

the new one is the same than in other sets, I prefer the old one, looks more "piratey" Imo!

Pirates, by definition, sail the high seas.

The new printed map has a river and a couple of pondy areas but it doesn't really suggest the ocean-going life.

Still, it's OK I guess. It would have been nice to have a new print.

It's the one fly in the ointment of the new Pirate sets. I guess I still have plenty of the old ones to go around, though. ;)

TC

The map is simply a case of reusing an existing part that basically works, even if not perfectly. I don't really mind it, but I'm surprised they didn't use the Agents map instead, it's much closer to appropriate.

At one time, I made decals for a number of maps inspired by the Agents one, including some pirate-y variations. Here they are, if you missed them and want to print your own pirate maps.

The pics are thumbnails, click them for the full size images. These and all 2x2 designs I produce are meant to be printed to a size of 1.551cm x 1.551cm (which is roughly 835dpi at this resolution). Don't ask me why I work at 835dpi, I never meant to, but they print very nicely that way. :grin:

agentsjungle2x2map_org.png_thumb.jpg agentsjungle2x2map_alt1.png_thumb.jpg agentsjungle2x2map_alt2.png_thumb.jpg agentsjungle2x2map_alt4.png_thumb.jpg agentsjungle2x2map_alt3.png_thumb.jpg

The first is the original, the second is just more colourful, the third is meant to symbolize El Dorado or any of the various golden city legends, and the last two are the more historically accurate 'plain' style that would look great when used with your Pirates/Conquistadors.

agentsjungle2x2map_alt5.png_thumb.jpg agentsjungle2x2map_alt6.png_thumb.jpg agentsjungle2x2map_alt7.png_thumb.jpg

Pirates/Explorers/Conquistadors

egypt2x2map_v1.png_thumb.jpg

Indy/Adventurers

I prefer the old ones because they show a couple of islands surrounded by sea. There's also a ship on it. It fits very well in the old pirate theme. I'm not really satisfied with the new charts, looks like Lego thought it was cheaper to put IJ charts in the new sets. In fact they should update the old charts, by adding more details and colours.

But I will buy new pirate sets anyway. :pir_laugh2:

ImperialShadow's charts look amazing by the way :pir-blush:

Edited by Cap'n Blackmoor

Although I agree that the old one seemed much more "piraty", I don't see anything being wrong with the new one. A treasure map is still a treasure map for me.

I don't really care. For me the old maps are as good as the new ones. Indeed, it would've been nicer if the sea had been added to the new ones too. Still, no real issue for me.

A lot of people voting here! Thanks! :pir-sweet:

It seems very few people really like the new maps, even if the majority is not unpleased with them (but prefer the old good ones). Well, I hope TLC will change this detail in the future pirate sets :pir-tongue:

And thanks too to the admin who put that two shots of the maps :pir-grin::pir-wink:

This is an interesting question that has been posed. I'm not sure what to vote for. Now throw in so... nevermind. :pir-hmpf_bad:

What the heck does a pirate need a map over Israel for, srsly?

It's what I've allways said... :pir-tongue:

But, for your information, there were a lot of pirates in the mediterranean sea and in the coasts of the actual Israel during a lot of centuries (since many centuries before JC until the XVIIIth I guess... :pir-look:) What I want to say is that not for being pirates they must be caribbean :pir-wink:

the new map is nice with the hand drawn look and all, but it still dosent have the water like it should!

I like the new map and it's not too IJ specific for me. I haven't seen the IJ movies so I wouldn't recognize it but it can serve as a generic map anyway. But for pirates it doesn't make much sense since it's not a sea map.

They're good maps, but don't need to be used here. TLG should have created new maps OR fell back on the good old ones. BUT in the hands of someone who has a big imagination it doesn't matter, does it?

I think that the new ones are fine, they just don't have any water. But I deal more with Imperial land based stuff anyways