Sign in to follow this  
Sweden

My Star Wars LEGO exhibition in Örnsköldsvik, Sweden from June to Oc

My Star Wars LEGO exhibition in Örnsköldsvik, Sweden from June to October/November 2008

Here's my report from and about "My Star Wars LEGO exhibition in Örnsköldsvik, Sweden from June to October/November 2008" in conjunction with the Star Wars exhibition held there from June to September 2008.

How it all started

Born in the glorious year of 1968 and growing up during the 1970's I got introduced to LEGO early on in my life when my grandmother Thyra, my mother Ruth and my father Leif usually gave me some LEGO sets for my birthdays and Christmas. As a child I got some really cool sets that I still to this day have saved but when becoming a teenager suddenly LEGO was something real nerdy just for nerds and something that was made just for small children so with a sad heart I left the LEGO hobby dreaming about getting all the wonderful and exciting LEGO sets that I saw in catalogues as a teenager until I went on in life and forgot about it all growing older.

The discovery

In I think it was april 1999 when I was at my younger sister Anette's place on a family dinner with her and our younger brother Fredrik's families I happened to discover a LEGO catalogue for that year and to my very big surprise I discovered that The LEGO Company were about to release LEGO sets from the first Star Wars trilogy as well as Episode I: The Phantom Menace. I was quite schocked by the fact that The LEGO Company had bought a license to make products of someone else creations especially as it was from a very successful series of movies as the Star Wars films. At the same time I was quite excited about these brand new Star Wars LEGO sets as they looked real good being made out of LEGO parts and I started to remember my childhood days building LEGO sets and doing MOCs. But being 31 years old I soon woke up and realized that I was way to old to buy, build and collect these Star Wars LEGO sets and went onto participating at my sister's family dinner and forgot about it all.

The Very first Star Wars LEGO set

Move on to the autumn of October 1999. I was bored and life in general sucked elephants dong. I was in the center of Sundsvall city one afternoon and passed by the local toyshop "Lekplaneten" (Play Planet) and looked at their window display of Star Wars LEGO sets. I looked at the display and after a few minutes I thought to myself "What the heck. I'm going to buy one of those Star Wars LEGO sets." and went in to the toyshop. I was looking at the Star Wars LEGO shelf and eventually decided to buy 7151 Sith Infiltrator from Episode I: The Phantom Menace. At the counter I felt a bit ashamed and blushed while muttering something about buying it for one of my nieces as a birthday present. After that I went home and sat down in the living room and started to build the Sith Infiltrator and after a hour or so I was finished and truly amazed of the Star Wars ship made out of LEGO parts.

The beginning of my Star Wars LEGO collection

As the Christmas of 1999 was just around the corner my younger sister Anette and her two daughters Angelica and Patricia asked me what I wanted for Christmas and it was at that moment I decided to start collecting Star Wars LEGO sets as I later on Christmas Eve got some sets from them as Christmas gifts. It was also at that time I bought all of the at that time released sets from the Star Wars saga. As the years went on I bought each and every Star Wars LEGO set that were released every year as well as receiving some from my nieces Angelica, Patricia and Jennifer as well as other family members as Christmas gifts and birthday presents. Over the years I've bought most of my Star Wars LEGO sets from a toystore by the name "Barnens Hus" (The Childrens House) about 10 minutes drive from Sundsvall and I've spent thousands of Euro there except for the LEGO Shop at Home exclusives of course.

The phone call

Over the years I've become a quite well known AFOL (Adult Fan of LEGO) and LEGO collector at the "Barnens Hus" (The Childrens House) toystore so the owners and most of the regular employees know me a little bit and I think it was in May this year (2008) that I received a phone call from one of the ladies in charge of the LEGO department at the toystore. She told me that she had talked to the guy who's the LEGO representative, that travells around the Northern parts of Sweden checking out that the shops and stores got what they need and taking orders from them, about some event and my Star Wars LEGO collection and that he wanted to talk to me.

A surprise

As the lady in charge of the LEGO department at "Barnens Hus" (The Childrens House) didn't really remember exactly what the LEGO representative had said except from wanting to talk to me I was truly wondering what it was all about so I called him and got a real good surprise. As I've met the LEGO representative a few times at "Barnens Hus" (The Childrens House) and talked to him about future releases as well as my collection of Star Wars LEGO sets, he explained to me that he had told a toyshop owner in Örnsköldsvik, where the Star Wars exhibition were to take place from June to September 2008, about my collection and that they had come up with the idea of a Star Wars LEGO exhibition at the toyshop in conjunction with the Star Wars exhibition.

The idea takes shape

So later I called "Torbjörn" who's the owner of the "Leklust" (Play lust) toyshop in Örnsköldsvik and he explained the idea of having a Star Wars LEGO exhibition at his toyshop in conjunction with the Star Wars exhibition and after a few phone calls working out the details I agreed to his proposition. So in June "Torbjörn" and his wife came to visit me and to pick up my collection so we packaged everything in large cardboard boxes and a few days later I took the bus up to Örnsköldsvik to set up my collection in the specially ordered glass display cases that they had for my collection to protect it from thieves, damages and dust during the exhibition. From second one I started to set up my collection until the moment I took the bus home I was not only busy setting up my collection but also busy talking to families, children, teenagers and adults as well as a reporter and the photograph from the local newspaper who were going to do a article about my Star Wars LEGO exhibition. Unfortunately the glass display cases were too small to make room for my entire collection so that a few had to be slightly rebuilt and some more had to be ordered but still my entire collection were never ever on display at the exhibition at the toyshop.

My Star Wars LEGO exhibition in Örnsköldsvik, Sweden

It was on display from June right before the Star Wars exhibition opened to I think it was October or November after the exhibition had packed up and left Örnskökdsvik, Sweden and it turned out to be a great success according to "Torbjörn" who is the owner of the "Leklust" (Play lust) toyshop who made a guesstimate that it on its own had 10000 visitors. According to "Torbjörn" a whole lot of families had said that they thought that my Star Wars LEGO exhibition was better then the Star Wars exhibition and that's something I'm truly proud of knowing that they and a whole lot of other people truly enjoyed seeing (perhaps) the or at least one of Swedens largest Star Wars LEGO collections. As my father Leif, my best buddy Daniel and I went to see the Star Wars exhibition in August I had the chance to also visit my Star Wars LEGO exhibition at the "Leklust" (Play lust) toyshop a second time to experience its success.

Final thoughts

I feel truly proud and honored to have been asked to do my very own Star Wars LEGO exhibition in conjunction with the Star Wars exhibition that were held in Örnsköldsvik, Sweden from June to september 2008. It was great fun setting it up and it was just as fun to meet all these families, children, teenagers as well as adults and talk to them about my collection, Star Wars LEGO and LEGO in general as well as the Star Wars phenomenon. However, I felt and still feel that more could've been done like me being there every other week or once a month but I was never asked to even if I made the proposition of being able to do so. There was also talk about a Television or radio exclusive but what happened to that I still to this day don't know what happened to. Except for "loaning" out the Jango Fett and R2-D2 statues to the "Leklust" (Play lust) toyshop The LEGO Company were never ever involved with or in my Star Wars LEGO exhibition and that's a pitty. I could have done so much more with my Star Wars LEGO exhibition but resources and/or interest were limited for one or the other reason but all in all I'm pretty pleased.

Pictures from My Star Wars LEGO exhibition at the Leklust (Play lust) toyshop in Örnsköldsvik, Sweden

exhibition_1_small.jpg

Super large version of above picture at BrickShelf

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Sweden/C...on/p8150011.jpg

exhibition_2_small.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Sweden/C...on/p8150012.jpg

exhibition_3_small.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Sweden/C...on/p8150013.jpg

exhibition_4_small.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Sweden/C...on/p8150014.jpg

exhibition_5_small.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Sweden/C...on/p8150015.jpg

exhibition_6_small.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Sweden/C...on/p8150016.jpg

exhibition_7_small.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Sweden/C...on/p8150017.jpg

exhibition_8_small.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Sweden/C...on/p8150018.jpg

exhibition_9_small.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Sweden/C...on/p8150019.jpg

exhibition_10_small.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Sweden/C...on/p8150020.jpg

exhibition_11_small.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Sweden/C...on/p8150021.jpg

The collector himself at his own Star Wars LEGO exhibition

exhibition_12_small.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Sweden/C...on/p8150022.jpg

The entrance to the Leklust toyshop where the Star Wars LEGO exhibition was located

exhibition_13_small.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Sweden/C...on/p8150023.jpg

Article about my Star Wars LEGO exhibition in Örnsköldsvik's local newspaper

local_newspaper_article_about_my_display_small.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Sweden/C..._my_display.jpg

Translation of above article:

A private Star Wars exhibition

He has had a huge interest for many years, but never being caught but the idea to show of the collection for the general public. But this summer, when the Star Wars exhibition visits Örnsköldsvik, Lasse Olsson catches on with his own Star Wars exhibition. In LEGO.

We walk in through Port 9 in central Örnsköldsvik and to the lower level outside Leklust. There more then just children gets faschinated where Lasse Olsson, from Sundsvall, unpacks his enormous collection. There's a swarm of LEGO and for the uninitiated it's impossible to comprehend how a human being manages to put together everything at the right place. But it's only the summers heat that make Lasse's forhead sweaty and soon the exhibition takes shape. " I've always been interested by LEGO and building model kits. There's certainly a risk to be classified as a nerd, but that risk I'm willing to take, says Lasse and whipes the sweat from his forhead". His interest for Science Fiction is obvious and he looks nearly lyrical when we talk about old television successes like Space: 1999 and Star Trek the Original Series. And wether he's delighted about the ongoing Star Wars exhibition we don't even need to ask about. "It's fantastic and when I was asked to if I could exhibit my collection in Örnsköldsvik this summer I thought it was pretty suitable says Lasse who has close to 140 sets to show off". A appetizer well worth a visit.

There you go people.

That's my report from My Star Wars LEGO exhibition in Örnsköldsvik, Sweden from June to October/November 2008. Now I'm just waiting to get my Star Wars LEGO collection back in a few weeks time.

Sweden - The One... And Only.

Edited by Sweden

Kit Fisto has fallen over :P

Pics are way to big, can you resize them, they're slw to load even on my net connection.

EDIT: I have to admit i'm slightly disapointed i was expecting mocs and diorama's instead of a collection of sets for display.

Jango and R2 look impressive though, did you build them yourself?

Edited by simonjedi

simonjedi

I know. I'm adult enough at 40 years old to know that the pictures were way to big for a whole lot of reasons like having posting and starting topics on different Internet communities as well as writing articles for years. All of the pictures are now resized as I was working on it when you posted your reply. I just wasn't as fast as you.

Ehh? MOCs? Where you get that from? Glad you're slightly disappointed though. I can delete my post if you wish so. :classic:

No. Jango Fett and R2-D2 aren't mine. They're a "loan" from TLC. If they had been mine Jango Fett would've been "true" 1:1 scale.

That's a pretty neat collection you've got there.

Does it include every single Star Wars set released?

KimT

Thanks. Almost. I'm behind with a few sets. I'm currently missing: 7666 Hoth Rebel Base, 7679 Republic Fighter Tank, 7680 The Twilight, 7681 Separatist Spider Droid, 10143 Death Star II, 10178 Mototrized Walking AT-AT, 10186 General Grievous 10188 Death Star. Otherwise I got all of the sets released so far including box variations and mini sets. Stuff like key chains, magnets and pens aren't included, I do collect them as well but I havn't a complete collection of any of them, as I don't count them as Star Wars LEGO sets. I don't collect value packs, collector's set, cases and maquettes. Worth to mention is that I only collect sets released in (Swedish) European boxes. Another thing worth to mention is that there wasn't room enough in the display cases for my entire collection why not all sets were on display.

TheBrickHitHouse

I know what you mean... However... Those glass display cases aren't my own. Those were especially made for my exhibition by the mall and Leklust toyshop and are owned by them as well. At home I display my models in my book shelf safe from our arch enemy DUST.

Yeah - Sweden svensk_flagga_1.gif rules again :laugh:!

That´s a nice collection & set-up you have there, as :vader: would have said - Impressive, most impressive!

I had tickets to the expo but not enough time to go and see it, and now that´s double sad because of your collection also! It would have been nice to see it & meet up. Well, another time!

Thanks for sharing & congrats to your famedom in Ö-vik and now on the net!

CopMike

CopMike

Yeah, we sure do. :grin:

Thanks. Yeah, that would've been cool. But... Who knows? Another time maybe. :yoda:

Thanks again. The owner of Leklust Torbjörn made a guess that my exhibit in itself brought 10000 visitors to his toyshop. It proved to be very popular as some families thought it was better then the Star Wars exhibition. I were there twice and Lord all Mighty. From both second one I was there until I left I was quite busy not only talking to children and teenagers but adults as well as they were even more excited than the kids. :laugh:

Nice collection - you've almost caught up with me!

I have the Jango and R2. Just kidding ;)

You can never have enough LEGO, can you?

Edited by LEGOscum

Wow :oh: , you have an impressive collection there, congrats Sweden :thumbup: . I think that have the privilage to display your collection to the general public (And secure of course cause the glass cases :tongue::laugh: ) is something you must feel proud of :wink: . The statues are of your own cause the TLC sell them to you or they are just "share" by the TLC? I wish I can own one of those in my private collection :grin: . And, do you collect the exclusives give by the TLC? I am talking of the ones really "exclusive" items like the Comic-con exclusives or the Toy Fair exclusives.

Edited by darkrebellion

simonjedi

I know. I'm adult enough at 40 years old to know that the pictures were way to big for a whole lot of reasons like having posting and starting topics on different Internet communities as well as writing articles for years. All of the pictures are now resized as I was working on it when you posted your reply. I just wasn't as fast as you.

Ehh? MOCs? Where you get that from? Glad you're slightly disappointed though. I can delete my post if you wish so. :classic:

ah sorry that it looked like I insulted your intelligence, about the mocs and stuff. when i read the title i thought it would be a display of models you've created yourself, not all your sets on display. You have a very impressive collection though.

Natman4000

Me too. As I wrote earlier they weren't mine. Just a loan to the Leklust toyshop from The LEGO Company. I understand that. Who wouldn't want them all being a LEGO and Star Wars fan. Especially all you younger Star Wars LEGO fans. As I'm 40 years old/young and got a pretty good income from working I've been lucky enough to be able to afford to collect the LEGO Star Wars line but it hasn't been cheap as LEGO is almost twice as expensive in Sweden as it's in the US of A. :pir-cry_sad:

LEGOscum/Jeremy

Thanks and wow. From what I've seen over at Rebelscum you're an avid collector as well. :wink:

Oh, I wish they're were mine too but they aren't. *Sniff*

No. Well... Actually you can. My appartment is invaded by Star Wars LEGO and H0/1:87 scale Model Railway stuff. I'm sleeping on the couch as the bed is usually full of stuff. Thank God my girlfriend understands me. :laugh:

darkrebellion

Thank you. Yes I feel very privilaged to have been asked to do this Star Wars LEGO exhibition and I'm proud of it as well. It was great fun to meet all those children, teenagers and adults and talk to them as well as knowing that they really liked my exhibition. :blush:

Yes. The LEGO Company just "shared" the Jango Fett and R2-D2 statues. They were "loaned" to the Leklust Toyshop. Oh, I wish that too. But even if The LEGO Company would've offered me to buy the statues I just simply couldn't afford them as I guess the price for them would've been up to 10000.00 Euro a piece and I'm not rich just working hard. :pir_bawling:

No. I don't collect the exclusives. I forgot to mention that earlier. As I live in Sweden there's simply no chance at all to get those exclusives when they're available and with the prices they go for on say eBay I don't pay that much.

simonjedi

No hard feelings. I was just being a bit ironic. My infamous very dark and black humor. :wink:

Regarding MOCs I'd just love to do some like Guybrush/Gareth's Ultimate Collector's Series MOCs but I don't have the money, time or room for it. But who knows? Maybe one day.

Really Impressive collection indeed.. and as a Swede I can understand that a lot of money has gone into that collection.

Have You been able to buy anyting on sale? anyhow I hope the toystore will give You discount in the future. :-)

My full report...

...from and about my Star Wars LEGO exhibition in Örnsköldsvik, Sweden is now finally done and added to the beginning of my first and innitial post so go check it out people if you're interested in the full story behind it all.

iotacode

Thank You for those kind words and you're most welcome. :cry_happy:

a53021

Thank You. Yes, I've spent a whole lot of money on Star Wars LEGO sets as we in Europe and other countries around the world have to pay outrageous prices on LEGO so that the US of A can have them at almost 50% off. It doesn't matter what The LEGO Company says or explains about this fact as I don't buy that bs or any bs for that matter. Prices ARE outrageous.

Well... As I wrote in my now updated report I've bought most of my sets, except the LEGO Shop at Home exclusives and a very few other not released here in Sweden that I bought on eBay, at "Barnens Hus" (The Childrens House) in the Birsta mall area about 10 minutes drive North of Sundsvall city. The prices on Star Wars LEGO sets and LEGO sets in general are lower at "Barnens Hus" (The Childrens House) than the suggested retail price and the prices on LEGO Shop at Home so I've actually saved some bucks/Euros over the years compared to the suggested retail prices.

Sale? What's that? :pir_bawling: Just kidding and the answer is basically no. I think I've seen Star Wars LEGO sets on sale at most a handful of times here in Sundsvall, and in Sweden for that matter, in toyshops and toystores and that was years ago during the first couple of years after the Star Wars LEGO line was released in 1999. The handful of times that Star Wars LEGO sets were on sale years ago I already had them. :pir-hmpf: And to buy multiples were also out of the question because when I had money they were sold out and/or the boxes left so badly beaten up that no collector would've bought them as pieces could be missing. But in the US of A sets aren't just 50% off our prices but go on sale as well! :sick:

Discount? What's that? :pir_bawling: Just kidding and the answer is basically no. The only discount I've ever gotten is from "Torbjörn" who is the owner of the "Leklust" (Play lust) toyshop in Örnsköldsvik here in Sweden where my Star Wars exhibition was held. I got The Clone Wars sets 7673 Magna Guard Starfighter, 7674 V-19 Torrent, 7675 AT-TE Walker and 7676 Republic Attack Gunship from him at cost or around 50% off suggested retail price as a thanks for lending out my Star Wars collection to them as well as a few other encuragements like free tickets for all of us for the Star Wars exhibition.

Quite an impressive collection, Sweden. :thumbup: I would have loved to see that in person, but thanks for the pics. Good luck on finding the sets that you don't have yet! :classic: