What do you rate this set?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What do you rate this set?

• 5. Very Good
    • 1. Extremely Poor

1788 Treasure Chest

1788d.jpg

1788-1.jpg

This set isn't very photogenic and very easily to passed off as just a collection of pieces by looking at pictures. But in real life it looks quite nice - its a good solid fort-like structure built upon the top of a rocking outcrop. It comes with a few nice little touches such as a campfire, raft with flag for a sail, a hidden treasure cave and heaps of mini-figure accessories, like a barrell, pot, cup, goblet, weapons, island drum and ceremonial staff.

Speaking of mini-figures, for a small set Treasure Chest contins a generous amount - two Islanders and two Pirates, plus there's a crocodile to keep them on their toes. Also there's an interesting twist, that being all other sets containing Islanders have the pirates invading them, but here its the other way round.

Although the most outstanding feature of this set, is not the design itself but its box. As far as I'm aware this is the most uniquely designed LEGO box in existence. Rather than being a traditional square shape, its in the shape of a treasure chest! So from a collector's perspective without the box this set is nothing.

Overall this set is a pleasant surprise as its better than it looks, however its by no means the best pirate set. A good addition to your pirate collection, but for those not interested in pirates then this set might not have great appeal.

Does anyone else have one? Even if you don't have it (which I guess most of you don't), what is your impression of it from viewing pictures?

I have one of those. It was one of my most favortie sets when I was younger. The box can easily be used to stock your minifigs :-D ; I still have it, but it's heavily worn :'( .

I might have been too generous giving this set a 3 *wacko*

I really like the islander figs, the cannon, palm tree and that printed wall !! Apart from that and the normal pirate accessories, not really great !! Some other good parts but the pirates are just the classic ones, the raft is just horrible...

*yoda*

Looks like a parts pack to me. Nothing special when it comes down to the buildings etc. It does however, look like a set with great playability. 3/5.

OMG whats this? I didn't knew there was such a ehh chest, no box, ehh chest,, nevermind! Set itself is nice, 3 stars

I'd give it a 4 Because it is well made, and a cool box. But there is 2 things with it:

1)The sail is a flag.

2)They have overused "King Kahuna"

Other than that it is a great set.

I've long been a big fan of this set! I like the structure it builds (and the reverse invasion concept). I remember getting this as a gift and having no toys since I had just moved, it served as a self contained pirate world. Great fun, a great build, and nice pieces, one of my favs...

God Bless,

Nathan

You think so?? Why? He is only once in the set... And I thought it was KahuKa...Not KahuNa....

I really like this set (5 stars).

However I think that the throne of king KahuKa should'nt have been aboard the canoe, it looks like it will turn over right away when put into the water... :-D

I also find it kind of weird to see the pirate captain (don't know his name) with blue epaulettes, allthough it adds to the uniqueness of this rare set.

I am still looking for this set, as mentioned in other topics, and I most sincerely intend to buy it when it comes across.

i found this set in a shop two weeks ago, but without the box... I thought of buying it, but in the end didn't.

btw, Phes, wasn't this the set you were still missing? it seems you have it after all...

i found this set in a shop two weeks ago, but without the box... I thought of buying it, but in the end didn't.

btw, Phes, wasn't this the set you were still missing? it seems you have it after all...

It was me who was (and still is) missing it :'-(

It was me who was (and still is) missing it :'-(

it was before your time here on these boards :-D

Gosh! this set comes with a beautiful box 8-o

I never got this set because it was never released here in finland.. I actually saw the box for the first time now when you rewieved it. I like islanders so it's nice to see them attacking in this set *y* the island could be a bit bigger but I have to give 5/5 That's mainly because of the box and islanders. I can only wish I can find that set somewhere someday.. :-|

5/5 This is a great set. It has a nice assortment of minifigs and additional islander folk. Everytime I try to buy it on eBay it goes for too much. Kind of a dumpy raft, but who cares this set has quite a bit of useful minifig pieces and a cannon.

Duke

I voted 5/5.

I like that it comes with 4 MF's and a canoe. (i like canoes *y* )

As mentioned already, the box is really kool *wub*

I don't think there is another box like it either Mr. Phes.

I'd give it a 4 Because it is well made, and a cool box. But there is 2 things with it:

1)The sail is a flag.

Other than that it is a great set.

With the sail as a flag, I just look at it as that there is another large flag that can be added to one of my pirate ships or forts.

Also, this small fort comes with a cannon. More cannons, is always a good thing.

P

Ooooh, I have good memories of this set. Imagine, if you will, a young LEGO pirate fan who has just saved up twenty bucks or so to buy a LEGO set of some kind. Imagine that at a Wal-Mart that very day, he just so happens to run across a Pirates set in a unique box that he had never even known existed; that wasn't in any of the catalogs (I had a similar happy experience with Barnacle Bay), and that had a large pirate flag, a zebra drum, and some more Islander figures (of which he had very few) plus a cool-looking Pirate captain with blue epaulets.

That was the stuff dreams were made of back then, my friends. 1995 was a very dry year for Pirates if you didn't have enough money for Imperial Outpost or Skull Island, and it was all Islanders the year before that. I had that box forever until it was tragically flattened. Actually, I still have it. :-D

TC