Sign in to follow this  
Dr Lucky

Super Brickbeard's Bounty

I built my Brickbeard's Bounty the other day, and it was cool, but not big enough.

When I was a kid, I remember just how huge the Black Seas Barracuda seemed, and I really wanted that experience again.

Of course, a lot of time has passed since then. I've grown up, and that memory has had 19 years to expand.

I need to make Brickbeard's Bounty much bigger!

My plan is to try to make Brickbeard's Bounty huge while maintaining a lot of the Lego system style. I do want to add details, not just empty space, but I don't want it to start looking like a historical recreation or a model. I just want an enormous Lego pirate ship.

First thing, I went shopping. I bought another Brickbeard's Bounty, about a $100 worth of misc new reddish brown bits on Bricklink, an anchor, and some various other ship parts. Also, I've got enough new and old pirates to comfortably crew this thing, and enough new pirate cannons to really arm it.

My rough plan is this:

• Expand the length of the ship - I will use three or possibly four hull middle sections, instead of the two current ones. I hesitate to use four because I don't want the ship to look too long for its width.
  • Make the hull taller - In addition to the additional stackable hull end pieces I got with the second Brickbeard's Bounty, I ordered two more in one of my Bricklink orders. Those combined with the extra reddish brown bricks I got will really let me bulk up the hull. Also, I need to make sure that I don't just make the ship look like its floating too high in the water.
  • A third main mast - I want to add a taller third mast, one with three sails. I plan to add it between the two smaller masts, unless there's a good reason to put it in front or back.
  • A small rear mast - Basically like the one on the Skull's Eye Schooner. I will probably remove the cannon from on top of the cabin to make some room for this.
  • More guns - I want four cannons on each side, and maybe five if I end up with four hull middle sections. I think I might place them higher than they are now, but below deck. If I put them on deck, they will take up practically the whole deck which isn't very exciting. I might make a few of them accessable from the top, like on the Black Seas Barracuda.
  • More details on the deck - I need to put some stuff on the deck to spruce it up and keep it interesting once the cannons are below deck. I think I'm going to cover part of the hold with a grate like on the Durmstrang Ship (or even on the Red Beard Runner). I always thought that looked good.
  • Expand the cabin - I'm actually pretty happy with the look of the cabin right now. I just need to make sure it still scales correctly. Plus, I'll add some more stuff to the deck on top of the cabin like a sextant and a compass.
  • Add one or two small boats - I'm going to add one or two small row boats for the crew. I just don't know where to store them. I could possibly make room below deck, but that doesn't seem really practical. If I go with one, I could hang it behind the ship like on the Skull's Eye Schooner, but I don't really like the way that looks. I could also hang them along the side, possibly beside and slightly below the cabin. I think that might be the most practical, but I don't think it would look great.

There are some things I really like about the existing ship that I want to keep intact:

• Masts - I like the new style of masts (using tubing) as opposed to the old masts. I still might add an old mast platform to my big mast, but in general, I don't want to switch over to old style masts.
  • Cabin - I like the general shape and style of the cabin. I really don't want to alter it much if I don't have to.
  • Bow - I like the existing bow and the set up with the front sail. I want to keep that intact. The mermaid is also staying, but she might get a Brick Forge trident instead of her sword.
  • Color scheme - I like the colors that Lego used, and I plan to maintain the basic palette.
  • General aesthetic - This is the most important thing! I really want to keep this looking like a Lego system, minifig scale pirate ship. Sure, it may dwarf my Black Seas Barracuda when I'm done, but I don't want it to make the Barracuda look totally silly either.

So that's my plan. I'm open to any suggestions that anyone might have around here. I would love any ideas or feedback that anyone has.

It will be a bit before I can get too deep into this because my Bricklink orders likely won't get here until late this week or early next. Also, I've got major tests from the 10th to the 17th, which will take up most of that time, plus a good amount of study time leading up to those days. (I'm in law school, which is a post-grad program in America, and must more time consuming than normal undergrad work)

Of course, I will post pictures when I finish. I'll try to take pictures as I work too, especially if I hit any cool milestones.

Edited by Dr Lucky

I'd say the best approach for what you are describing is to not overdo it on the bulking up. From what you've described, I would have thought that a second BB is ample supply material for the expansion (that gives you extra middle hulls and enough end hulls to make them taller than BSB (afaik they are the same height to begin with in BB).

A nice plan. I hope to do something similar when I get hold of Brickbeards Bounty, just supplementing it with my current parts collection - I have red-brown hull midsections from the Viking ship, ample red-brown bricks, and I'm happy to leave the ends as is. I may indeed just add one single hull midsection and add maybe one or two layers to the sides (I'd like to allow the cannons to point slightly more upwards - i.e. at least level).

From the pictures i saw it does not seem that big to me either considering that it is only a 600 peice set but when i get one i plan to add much more too! Hope to see pictures when you are done!

Can't wait to see the result

I was planning on doing this as well when I get another BB - maybe when we're all done we can share pics. I was aiming for a medium sized expansion. I agree with brickzone, you probably don't need too much more than another BB and a selection of extra parts.

I'm looking forward to the result as well, although the new pirates line isn't for sale in Europe yet :pir-sceptic: But I saw some pictures of the BB and it's easy to expand, but I got my own ships to expand now :pir_laugh2:

Still not finished yet :pir-look:

longer ship would be great for start.

other than that is up to your preferences.

can't wait for your longer ship to be built.

Dr Lucky, I agree with you BB just doesnt seem long-big enough to be the most fearest ship. I think that BSB and BSE would destroy BB like a fat kid destroys twinky.

I can see where you are coming from, I was thinking of doing the same thing when I get it. However, those sails look horrible, id preffer BSE or BSB sails much better. This one reminds me of that fake copy of BSB that we can see on ebay.

I just got 4-5 huls for very cheap, around $2 a piece so im planning to build one huge pirate ship, 2 large ones (2-3 hulls plus back and front) and several small ones along with rafts. Im still debating if I should get BB now or later....

This sounds really cool. I always wanted someone to make a super ship while still sticking with a lego system look. I can't wait to see the final product. Right now I'm working on a 100% modular ship. Good luck.

This sounds really cool. I always wanted someone to make a super ship while still sticking with a lego system look. I can't wait to see the final product. Right now I'm working on a 100% modular ship. Good luck.

Well, I did Phase 1 today. I added two hull sections, extending it to four, and I also added a third mast in the center with three sails. Right now, its got ports for four cannons on each side, but I don't have wheels for all the cannons yet. I haven't added the rear mast yet, nor have I started bulking up the hull yet, because most of my Bricklink stuff hasn't arrived yet.

Right now, it looks pretty much like Lego intended, just bigger, which is pretty sweet. I'm a heck of a lot happier with it already, but that isn't going to stop me from continuing the project once my orders arrive. I'll take a few pictures of it tonight.

Here's the pics of Phase 1. All I did was lengthen the hull (which added more gun ports) and add the central mast. A lot of my Bricklink stuff showed up today, but I'm worried that I won't get much time to build for the next two weeks, so it may stay like this for a bit.

Front View

sbb_front.jpg

Side View

sbb_side.jpg

Rear View

sbb_rear.jpg

New Mast

sbb_mast.jpg

The ship really is much bigger now. I'm pretty stoked about the overall length and height. I'm still going to add quite a bit of bulk to the sides, bow, and cabin, and do a lot of cosmetic stuff, but it's a lot closer to where I want it to be.

Wow, that does look good. It's proportionate and pleasing to the eye! :wub:

I look forward to seeing how you bulk it out as the decks etc do look a little sparse.

Good work!

That looks much more better then the small BB!

It's splendid and it just looks a real Lego set. Unfortunately it isn't :pir_bawling:

Though, very nice.

I'd suggest adding a gangway on top of your gun deck. and have a railing for the gangway.

Similar to the BSB:

bsb.gun.deck.wench.jpg

Then the stern and forecastle would fit a lot better with center portion of the ship.

Good work so far! :thumbup:

Dear Dr Lucky,

where the proportions between the cabin and the length of the ship on the origional seem to be a bit off,

your modification/design seems to have solved that problem. :thumbup:

The gangway as proposed by Phred is a good idea.

After that, all that is needed is a few more guns and an anchor. :pir-laugh:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Edited by Teddy

Nice build! Now all we need is for LEGO to make the parts needed for your build into a "Brickbeard's Bounty Expansion Pack" accessory set... actually, looks like the 5-mast ships that were the biggest things in WizKids' Pirates game before they cheesed it out and cheesed off the fanbase--hmm... maybe upscale that game-engine and join it with the "Evil Stevie's Pirate Game" rules?

Nice work- I think the gangway is a good idea- I would also suggest trying to add some rigging to get up another level on the main mast if at all possible. did Lego make a short black triangular rigging piece? that might work if it exists!

I'd suggest adding a gangway on top of your gun deck. and have a railing for the gangway.

Similar to the BSB:

[pic]

Then the stern and forecastle would fit a lot better with center portion of the ship.

You mean Like this?

photo_4.jpg

I'm happy to see I wasn't the only one who had this idea. I also made a bigger BBB, using only the pieces from two 6243 sets. I also made my own sails. I'm sorry I don't have a good camera, only my iSight webcam with a mirror effect... Hope youlike it anyway.

photo77.th.jpg